Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,921  
Feedback on 10KW gen. head.

Has anyone tried the belt driven 10KW generator head? It is item no 45416. I have a 16 horse motor I need to put to good use... yes... no... maybe?????

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,922  
Re: Feedback on 10KW gen. head.

Anyone use these ratchet straps? With the sale price and 20% off coupons I can get the price down to maybe $13 but I'm not sure if these are the same straps often seen for $10 on sale at various places such as TSC. They all seen to be Chinese so how different can they be? I use them for a four corner hold down when I trailer my L4300. While one says 10,000 lbs and the other 3300 lbs, I think they are the same rating because the 10,000 seems to equal a working load of 3300 lbs. Go figure.

Here's the HF strap.
2" x 27 Ft. Ratchet Tie-Down

Here's the TSC strap
Erickson 10,000 lb. Ratchet Strap, 2 in. x 27 ft. - 3018109 | Tractor Supply Company

I'll add that it seems prices are really creeping up in price at Harbor Freight.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,923  

Anyone use these ratchet straps? With the sale price and 20% off coupons I can get the price down to maybe $13 but I'm not sure if these are the same straps often seen for $10 on sale at various places such as TSC. They all seen to be Chinese so how different can they be? I use them for a four corner hold down when I trailer my L4300. While one says 10,000 lbs and the other 3300 lbs, I think they are the same rating because the 10,000 seems to equal a working load of 3300 lbs. Go figure.
I have the TSC ones and they do indeed have a WLL of 3300#.

Aaron Z

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,924  

Here's the HF strap.
2" x 27 Ft. Ratchet Tie-Down

Here's the TSC strap
Erickson 10,000 lb. Ratchet Strap, 2 in. x 27 ft. - 3018109 | Tractor Supply Company

I'll add that it seems prices are really creeping up in price at Harbor Freight.

They are what I use to hold down a 2500 lb tractor plus 1000 lb FEL plus 600 lbs brush hog. I use 2 on the tractor, one on the FEL and one on the brush hog. I use all 4 straps even if the FEL or implement is left off, pulling in opposing directions. Nothing has budged the least bit in several trips, and this setup is sufficiently redundant so that if one strap lets go the other 3 have enough WLL to hold and prevent the load from shifting.

It has been a while, but I think they were about $10 each at HF when I bought them. HF has gotten more expensive just in the last year or two.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,925  

... HF has gotten more expensive just in the last year or two.

I've just begun to notice it with lots of prices surprisingly higher and seemingly higher than the competition. In my example above it appears to be the same strap and HF is more expensive than TSC and TSC is high to start with. Suppose it's the weak dollar or HF pricing strategy?

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,926  
Clamp-On Multimeter

Hopefully this item hasn't been posted yet, a search of the thread didn't find it anyway.

5 Function Digital Clamp-On Multimeter, with a 20% off coupon I found on the internet it was just over $10
Used it to get current draw amounts on 240v breakers in my box, so I would know what combinations of item's my generator will run at the same time.

Also found a coupon to get a 7 Function Multimeter, free with any other purchase.
Bought a GFCI outlet tester for $5.99 so got both for $6.
The meter will go in the RV to test campground 50amp receptacles before hook up.

They are all cheaply made but work fine and you can't beat the prices.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,927  
Re: Clamp-On Multimeter

5 Function Digital Clamp-On Multimeter, with a 20% off coupon I found on the internet it was just over $10
Used it to get current draw amounts on 240v breakers in my box, so I would know what combinations of item's my generator will run at the same time.
Did you have to do anything funny to get that to work? I got one last year and the clamp part doesn't seem to work.

Aaron Z

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,928  

Anyone use these ratchet straps? With the sale price and 20% off coupons I can get the price down to maybe $13 but I'm not sure if these are the same straps often seen for $10 on sale at various places such as TSC. They all seen to be Chinese so how different can they be?

About a year ago I was in a local hardware store looking at ratchet straps. A contractor came in and bought all of their stock of 2 inch ratchet straps made by Keeper. He said his employees had been buying the cheap straps and they wouldn't last long, only the Keepers did.

Bruce

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,929  

Anyone use these ratchet straps? With the sale price and 20% off coupons I can get the price down to maybe $13 but I'm not sure if these are the same straps often seen for $10 on sale at various places such as TSC. They all seen to be Chinese so how different can they be?

About a year ago I was in a local hardware store looking at ratchet straps. A contractor came in and bought all of their stock of 2 inch ratchet straps made by Keeper. He said his employees had been buying the cheap straps and they wouldn't last long, only the Keepers did.

Bruce

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,930  
mvwicker said:
They are what I use to hold down a 2500 lb tractor plus 1000 lb FEL plus 600 lbs brush hog. I use 2 on the tractor, one on the FEL and one on the brush hog. I use all 4 straps even if the FEL or implement is left off, pulling in opposing directions. Nothing has budged the least bit in several trips, and this setup is sufficiently redundant so that if one strap lets go the other 3 have enough WLL to hold and prevent the load from shifting.

It has been a while, but I think they were about $10 each at HF when I bought them. HF has gotten more expensive just in the last year or two.

Ours are holding our "Shelter Logic" temporary garage down to the ground augers and therefore keeping our tractor covered....

Thomas
No matter where you go; there you are...