Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,021  
I've got one of the tire changers. Biggest problem is finding a suitable anchor for it if you don't have extra floor space to mount it to. When I built my fork extensions I mounted the changer on a piece of scrap plate that I had and it sandwiches the fork between the other half of the plate like a bolt clamp. Makes a pretty substantial base for it.
th_100_0444.jpg

Yep--that tire changer ain't goin' anywhere--clever thinking:thumbsup:
My HP tire changer is bolted to a base made from scrap 2x and 4x lumber I had laying around.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,022  
allen6634 said:
hope your store isn't like the one close to me it is higher than the internet i'll find something i want and get to the store and see that the price is much higher so i just get something eles , only time i buy from store is if i need it now.

The stores near me will price match the internet price. Just take in a print out of the ad, or even show it to them on your smart phone.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,023  
The stores near me will price match the internet price. Just take in a print out of the ad, or even show it to them on your smart phone.

I've had similar experiences. There are three stores I frequent depending on where I am, and all three will price match internet prices.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,024  
I was in Harbor Freight yesterday, killing time while the spouse was at the craft/ fabric store down the street.
There was 41/2" angle grinder on sale for 9.99$.:rolleyes: :shocked: :drool:

Looked to be of good quality...so I figured I would regret leaving the store without it even though I already have 2.
I can justify 3 grinders, as it's quicker than having to switch from a cutoff wheel to a grinding wheel to a wire brush... Anyway... it's mine and it seems to be OK even though it's only 4.5 amps, enough for a cup brush.
For 10$ I figured I would give it a go ...90 day warranty.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,025  
Can't beat that for an angle grinder. I like the idea of not having to change out discs like you said.

I recently picked up an OBDII scanner essentially as an "open box return" not used.
image_12019.jpg

This is the "top end" model. Very easy to use- scrolling through the menu and finding the data I needed was easy. I haven't yet tried to upload anything to my computer or- update the software. For my needs, tieing anything to my computer isn't a necessity. I have heard that some probems may arise with updating the software but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

I now will be able to do a lot more of the maintenance on my vehices and save substantial money. Already, on our Audi- I have been able to deal with several issues that have persisted. That alone has saved at least one $80.00 scan at the dealership.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,026  
I was in Harbor Freight yesterday, killing time while the spouse was at the craft/ fabric store down the street.
There was 41/2" angle grinder on sale for 9.99$.:rolleyes: :shocked: :drool:

Looked to be of good quality...so I figured I would regret leaving the store without it even though I already have 2.
I can justify 3 grinders, as it's quicker than having to switch from a cutoff wheel to a grinding wheel to a wire brush... Anyway... it's mine and it seems to be OK even though it's only 4.5 amps, enough for a cup brush.
For 10$ I figured I would give it a go ...90 day warranty.

Better save your receipt too because it's no tickee, no laundry if it breaks.
Could you do a follow-up post on the grinder and tell how it works out?

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,027  
I have had two of the blue grinders for several years now. (15+ years for the first one, maybe 6 years for the second). I have a knotted wire wheel on one and cup brush on the other. They work great for cleaning before welding and for cleanup after. It is convenient to have both within reach. I think they are fine for this light use, and for casual hobby work. Their gears scream "throwaway tool". These draw 4 amps for a comparison of power.

I also have their better 4 inch grinder, and then bought the paddle 4 inch one when it came out. 4.5 amp and 6 amp. These are ok but I think one of these (for its light weight) plus a much stronger (but heavier) 4 inch grinder would be more productive - for example the 11 amp Milwaukee at $100.

Note I am describing 4 inch and 4.5 inch interchangeably; I can't see any difference in this spec.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,028  
Better save your receipt too because it's no tickee, no laundry if it breaks.
Could you do a follow-up post on the grinder and tell how it works out?

I used it today for about an hour. I compared it to my Hitachi, that I bought for 29$ and it looks as though it was made with the same parts.
I get your point as I once bought a chop saw (metal/abrasive) at HF and it lasted 2 cuts before it failed. The switch went out. That saw was 5-10 times more than this grinder, I don't remember how much it cost, but I do remember how mad I was that I had to go out, take it back and buy another at Lowes for 200$. I was at the beginning of a project.

If this fails I'm not going anywhere for 10$.
I suspect that if it lasted for an hour today It's mine to the death...which ever comes first.
I still have the first angle grinder I ever bought, B$D.... I've had it for over 25 years. I have dissembled it and replaced the grease in the head with a high quality synthetic.
That's probably what I should do with the other two.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,029  
Agreed on the grease. Whatever it is for grease in China must not really be grease. Be it roller wheels or whatever , I grease it and it helps. Learned that when I bought a bunch of 3" wheels on sale and couldn't figure out why they wouldn't roll. No grease. Try that some time.