Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,071  

I've never even used or priced one of their compressors, so I can't be much help. The only comment I can make is with their advertising use of the phrase: "No mag starter required". That's sort of like bragging about not having 4wd on your tractor. Maybe it works fine that way and maybe not, but having a mag starter on any large or loaded electric motor is a good feature, not a drawback.

My own shop has two small compressors: Beauty and The Beast. Beauty must be half a century old, has a large pulley that is itself a thing of art and beauty, plus a vintage single iron cylinder feeding a 20 gallon tank. Not being a complete fool, the tank is a new ASME certified tank from Grainger. That compressor makes a pleasant "plonk, plonk, plonk" sound when running. You can almost talk over it. The motor is about 3/4 horse and has a mag starter. But when the air pressure falls far enough you might as well put down your tools and go get a cup of coffee because it is the opposite of fast.

The other compressor is a contractor's type Cooper from Home Depot with multiple outlets and what look like twin 5 gallon tanks. It's a professional looking tool that doesn't mess around about making pressure. This mini-monster fires up with a sudden roar guaranteed to make a bystander jump no matter how often they've heard it happen. When running, it sounds like a maddened banshee tearing sheet metal bare handed. It's a mixed blessing that nobody can yell loud enough to be heard over the racket.
But it's fine for building a house as long as you have enough hose and cord to get away from the noise. This high revving oil-less compressor is about 5 years old and has now held up to building one medium house. So far it has required one pressure switch and wiring around the high temperature cut-out. Looks nice; works OK. Durability seems medium.
rScotty
Who has now completely changed over from Duct Tape to Gorilla Tape

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,072  
Watch out for HF's CFM vs SCFM ratings on their compressors. Their claimed CFM must be like 'peak audio watts', while I assume SCFM is some industry standard related to continuous output.

I have the (red) previous version of HF's 2.5 hp / 10 gallon compressor. It won't keep up with their small die grinder which is specified to need 2/3 of that compressor's claimed output. First time I ran the die grinder I soon had 20 psi, and saw lots of smoke from the compressor when I looked around to see if I had a kinked hose. This didn't seem to hurt the compressor - or trip its heat cut-out. Maybe HF isn't the place to buy a compressor. That one seems to be ok for airing up tires, but its hopeless for air tools.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,073  
Originally Posted by rScotty

... It always seems to be time to upgrade the compressor.

rScotty

Havng a good air compressor is just something you have to do. It opens all the doors of tool usage.
One day about 10 years ago I just freaked out and went out and bought a two stage IR compressor. Luckily I got a price deal because Home Depot was dumping some at the time but the bottom line is the price didn't really matter. I should have upgraded decades earlier. When we finally check out of this life, who among us will be glad they postponed an air compressor upgrade?

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,074  
I've never even used or priced one of their compressors, so I can't be much help. The only comment I can make is with their advertising use of the phrase: "No mag starter required". That's sort of like bragging about not having 4wd on your tractor. Maybe it works fine that way and maybe not, but having a mag starter on any large or loaded electric motor is a good feature, not a drawback.

I think the point HF is trying to make is that you don't need to spend the extra money on a mag starter. Most people who shop HF are looking budget minded. Most people installing a mag starter also add a heater to prevent burning up the motor would be a good idea. It's possible that the motor has a thermal overload built into the motor and HF is just trying to say you don't need to spend extra money on a heater. A god setup (mag starter and heater) would cost you about as much as the compressor. All the motors I work on at work have adjustable heaters on them, I'm not sure if having an adjustment would be a wise idea for the weekend warrior.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,075  

I think the point HF is trying to make is that you don't need to spend the extra money on a mag starter. Most people who shop HF are looking budget minded. Most people installing a mag starter also add a heater to prevent burning up the motor would be a good idea. It's possible that the motor has a thermal overload built into the motor and HF is just trying to say you don't need to spend extra money on a heater. A god setup (mag starter and heater) would cost you about as much as the compressor. All the motors I work on at work have adjustable heaters on them, I'm not sure if having an adjustment would be a wise idea for the weekend warrior.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,076  
For air tools it is the CFM's that counts and PSI's don't mean all that much in as they all peak at 100PSI's or better.
Any air tool that rotates; i.e. drills, grinders etc are all air hogs. Even reciprocal tools such as air saws are also based on an air motor, sheers, scissors, nibblers as well.
To operate 90% of the air tools out there a 10CFM would be about right.
For those CFM's forget about 110VAC compressors, you are in the 220 VAC catagory now.
Also watch out for tricky specs. Many will boldly state 6 (maybe 8) but at a lower PSI.
What U want is the rating at 100PSI!

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,078  
Look at the latest Harbor Fraught Ad I got in email today, I laughed so hard.....

Harbor Freight.jpg
harbor Freight 4.jpgharbor Freight 2.jpgharbor Freight 3.jpg

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,079  
I ordered this 900watt 2 stroke generator and it is a work horse! I changed the spark plug to an American one before I ever started it, and it runs smoothly, is pretty quite, and powers my saws, and drill, and it is about the size of a small cooler. I couldn't be happier, and I only paid $88 with free shipping. I would highly recommend it!

image_21040.jpg

, http://www.harborfreight.com/63cc-9...generator-certified-for-california-69381.html

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,080  
For air tools it is the CFM's that counts and PSI's don't mean all that much in as they all peak at 100PSI's or better.
Any air tool that rotates; i.e. drills, grinders etc are all air hogs. Even reciprocal tools such as air saws are also based on an air motor, sheers, scissors, nibblers as well.
To operate 90% of the air tools out there a 10CFM would be about right.
For those CFM's forget about 110VAC compressors, you are in the 220 VAC catagory now.
Also watch out for tricky specs. Many will boldly state 6 (maybe 8) but at a lower PSI.
What U want is the rating at 100PSI!

I concur...
I own a 60 gal 6 HP compressor that is rated in the 10 CFM range...
It runs anything that I need...
I doubt that it would pull a sandblaster but I mainly use mine with my impact wrench...
It is rated @ 5.5 CFM with 450 ft. lb. of torque...
It has not let me down yet...