Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,081  
I bought the latest version of Ryobi's little impact driver Ryobi P236 Cordless Impact Driver - $69 at Home Depot. Claimed 1600 inch-pounds, I assume that translates as 133 ft lbs. This tool isn't as strong as the HF impact wrench, it needs lugnuts started with a breaker bar same as the HF tool, but at half the weight and cordless it is a lot more convenient...
I have the Ryobi impact driver as well. Mine is pretty weak compared to my Northern Tool electric impact. I seriously doubt they can meet their 1600 in lb claims. But, it is a decent little driver. Used it to drive all the 3/8" thick 6" long lag screws for my fence a few years back. Worked great.
Followup on the little Ryobi impact driver that claims 1600 inch-pounds.

Today I replaced a tire on the little watering trailer pictured above, and torqued the lugs with the Ryobi until the socket wouldn't move. Then I used a beam torque wrench to finish tightening the lugs. It took just over 50 ft/lbs to tighten the lugs beyond what the Ryobi could do. The Ryobi is very handy but this is a huge variance from claimed specs.

Doesn't (claimed) 1600 inch-pounds translate to 133 ft lbs? What am I missing here?

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,082  
Doesn't (claimed) 1600 inch-pounds translate to 133 ft lbs? What am I missing here?

Don't see that you've missed anything, your conversion to ft lbs is correct. I'm sure that if you ask them there will be a long list of variables that will affect output, such as battery charge, ambiant air temperature, lubrication, etc.

Might as well put it in the catagory of the 5hp 110V air compressor motors. They can make the compressor motor hit the rated specification, but outside of the lab it doesn't happen.

Ken

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,083  
In reference to scfm and cfm scfm is a rating at standard conditions. Been years since I was involved with industrial air
I
Compressors but scfm allows a comparison regardless of pressure while cfm values are at stated pressures. Does that make any sense.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,084  
   / Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,085  
25% off coupon

New Years Day only. One item only. With the usual excluded items.

Reading the coupon, it appears that you can use it to reduce cost of a purchase made in the last 30 days. Has anyone tested this?

Coupon

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,086  
This 10" tile/brick saw is worth every penny. It preformed flawlessly in thousands of cuts of pavers and cement blocks.
2.5 Horsepower 10" Industrial Tile/Brick Saw

The blades that you can buy at harbor freight work better than the name brands that cost twice as much. Here is the finished project picture on the TBN Good Morning thread.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/rural-living/223701-good-morning-725.html

I did do like one of the reviewers suggested: I put the pump in a clean 5 gallon bucket and put another 5 gallon bucket under the drain hole in the drip pan. I did not recirculate the muddy water from the clay pavers. I only had to fill the 5 gallon bucket about three times a day.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,087  
New Year's Day Coupon 25% of an item.
20off

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,088  
Thanks for the info on the coupon! I just bought this jack, and with shipping, two welding magnets, a file, and heat shrink wire wrap, it came out to be just under $80. Great deal! I have been looking for a decent floor jack for some time, and this one looks good, and has good reviews, so I will let you know!

image_11503.jpg

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,089  
I'm not positive but recall reading somewhere that the above aluminum jack was the single most sold item at HF. I've had one for several years and no complaints from me.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,090  
I'd like to nominate this impact chisel

Super Duty Air Hammer with Chisels

It's usually on "sale" for $12 or so and every now and then maybe $10. For that price alone it's hard to beat but it actually works very well. It seems little different than the quality one I used as a kid to remove exhaust systems. That's mostly what I do with it as well as sheet metal things. I've chiseled a few nuts off with it and it worked fine but I would question a steady diet of that kind of work. Not that I have any reason since it has worked so well for me. I also used it as a blunt tipped air hammer to pound something out. It comes with a number of chisels, etc.

It's hard to imagine the impact part of this going bad since it's so simple. I guess the temper of the chisels could be an issue but mine look like new despite some pretty hard work. Is easily worth the price.