Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,101  
Good point. Never thought of the cost of the pouches so I'll check that out first. Thanks.

Hmmm...this thread got me thinking, so I looked online at the cost. Prices don't seem too bad at Amazon. Must have come down a lot since I last bought them.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,102  
   / Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,104  
Couldn't pass up the HF 20T arbor press for $149 today with coupon.
That's the best price I have ever seen on this.

I saw they also have their 2T foldup shop crane on sale for $162.
Looks like a good deal but I have no use for one myself. I will probably kick myself later though.

These were both with coupons that came in a circular the other day.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,105  
The press is handy, you'll wonder how you got along without it before. Fold up cranes show up on craigslist here all the time, I got mine for $120 with a load leveler included. Looked brand new and was already put together.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,106  
There are now 3,105 posts in this amazing thread, and pardon me if I ask a question that may have been previously answered.
I'm about to learn/start welding. I will buy a decent quality welder, but not from HF.
I will need to buy a lot of stuff, helmet, gloves, work table, clamps, rods and supplies and a metal bandsaw.
From what I did read, it seems the satisfaction level is acceptably high. Not high.... but good value nonetheless.
If one truly gets what one pays for, and maybe even a little more, no place to complain there.

Overall it seems HF has a lot of useful welding tools.
I'd like feedback on two:
the metal bandsaw, their largest one, is the collective opinion that other than the cheesy supplied sawblade, it meets all the important
needs of a hobby user? Interested in cutting mostly flat stock for machinery repairs and light fab.
Stick welder supplies, like rods. Does HF stock quality products?
thanks
Drew

btw, their little shop crane is a bargain and super useful.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,107  
I would buy my stick rods from manufacturers like Lincoln, Atom Arc and Hobart at my local welding supply in 50 lb containers. For low hydrogen rods like 7018, get an electric caddy in the 50# size and keep it plugged up at all time. They are insulated so once everything gets hot, it doesn't take a lot of electricity to keep them hot. I found a used 350# Phoenix oven which is the best brand around on Craigslist for $150 which was a bargain. They can be hooked to 120, 220 or 480 volt current. I keep a box of 3/32 and a box of 1/8 hot at all time.
HF chipping hammer and air tools like a needle scaler would be good to have. I have bought 3 of the HF auto dark hoods. One crapped out after a couple of years and a lot of sweat got into the lens and finally shorted it out. My second one is currently experiencing some charging problems and I don't know if I have corrected the problem. I recently hung it where it can at least get 4-5 hours of sunlight per day instead of having it hanging on a dark wall. Hopefully that allows the solar cell to charge up the battery or whatever collects the power. I still have one in reserve. I cant complain about them too much for the price, $39 on sale. I can still buy about 7 more for what it would cost me to buy one of the Jackson auto dark hoods and I would be absolutely sick if I dropped it and broke it whereas for $39 bucks I might cuss a bit at myself but that would be about it. I actually did drop my HF one from about 6 feet and it only popped off the shade adjustment knob which I popped right back on. No other damage thankfully.

As for other tools, I recently bought the air driven 3/4" drive 650 ft. # impact gun and it works mighty good and at $69 saleprice was an exceptional bargain. I have to use my HF regular socket set since I only have 1/2" drive impact sockets. So far they are holding up. I used it to take off and put back on 3 times the rear tractor tires on my B26 TLB.
Those 3/4" drive sockets were a real bargain also. I think they were either $49 or 69 for each set ( I got a SAE and Metric set) That start at 1" and go to 2 1/2". One of the ratchets lost the little ball bearing out when I whacked it on my disc to remove a big socket but HF made good. Just took the old ratchet and gave me a new one off the rack, didn't need to take the whole set (which I did).
I also bought some large combination wrenches that go up to 7/8 - 2" I think. I haven't used all of them, but the ones I have used can take the pressure and the fit and finish is great. I got a set of SAE and Metric and they are color coded red and blue for easy ID. I cant remember what I paid but it was cheap and on sale or I wouldn't have bought them. You really cant beat the lifetime guarantee on wrenches.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,108  
I would buy my stick rods from manufacturers like Lincoln,

I think the Chinese do brilliantly at steel and iron, but not sure I want something based on chemicals
from an industrial area not known for high QC. And I'm sure there are some top quality Chinese welding rods, but doubt we see them.
HF sets standards, of sorts, but is more interested in blowing the cost doors off the competition.

Ok, once I get going, I'll find the local welding supply place. I'm going to be a light user, so I'll leave the wine chillers/rod warmers to you Gary. :)

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,109  
I don't have the biggest saw, but the 4x6 works good for me, of course the best thing about them is that you can start a cut and go do something else while it's cutting. Their C clamps are okay, I even used them at work. The nice thing is they are cheap enough that you can use more than you normally would, or cut one up for a specialty use without eating your liver. Little things like speed squares and torpedo levels are fine, as are the magnetic arrowhead welding holders. I've found that the glove aren't the best value, the thread doesn't handle the UV from welding and they start coming apart. That might have changed by now, been a few years since I tried them.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,110  
I noticed a price creep in recent flyers.