Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,121  
Grumpy has more tools and equipment than most and has been a master fabricator for many years why buy it when I can build it ?

Master fabricator? I can only dream....
My problem is I set high standards and my own work doesn't meet them sometimes...not uncommon I'm sure.
I've worked mostly in wood, have a wood shop in the basement, and am slowly learning to work in metal.
Using a hand hack saw truly sucks...

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,122  
don't waste your money buying the metal bandsaw for cutting flat stock use a 14 inch cut off saw ,faster smaller and has many uses compared to the metal band saw also less expensive

Good idea. I already have a chop saw, but not 14. For "little stuff" though, never thought of putting a cutoff wheel in the chop saw. Sure takes up less room. Thanks grumps.

I did that once and it melted some of the plastic bit of the sawdust collection on the saw. HF puts there large metal chop on sale. Buy one I did.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,123  
don't waste your money buying the metal bandsaw for cutting flat stock use a 14 inch cut off saw ,faster smaller and has many uses compared to the metal band saw also less expensive View attachment 300900

I prefer a band saw. It doesn't shoot fire, grit, and smoke, and it's quieter too. Same with hand-held. A 9" angle grinder will cut just about anything that a portaband will, but I reach for the bandsaw first.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,124  
It doesn't shoot fire, grit, and smoke, and it's quieter too.

good qualities if one has it in an enclosed shop, particularly in one's basement.
WHAT IS THAT HORRIBLE SMELL?

ever heard that from your wife?....:D

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,125  
HF puts there large metal chop on sale. Buy one I did.
14" Cut-Off Saw - 2 HP

well, this is right on target for this thread, how do you like it, or did you answer that 200 posts back...I really should read this whole thing.

70 bucks. Sounds very handy and a good deal.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,126  
don't waste your money buying the metal bandsaw for cutting flat stock use a 14 inch cut off saw ,faster smaller and has many uses compared to the metal band saw also less expensive

Good idea. I already have a chop saw, but not 14. For "little stuff" though, never thought of putting a cutoff wheel in the chop saw. Sure takes up less room. Thanks grumps.
Just a word of caution. While a wood chop saw may fit an abrasive wheel, many of the wood cutters have some plastic parts that could melt and even catch fire using an abrasive wheel. Yours may be all metal and could work with saw blades or metal cutting abrasive blades but be careful or you may end up needing to buy a new chop saw.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,127  
HF puts there large metal chop on sale. Buy one I did.
14" Cut-Off Saw - 2 HP

well, this is right on target for this thread, how do you like it, or did you answer that 200 posts back...I really should read this whole thing.

70 bucks. Sounds very handy and a good deal.
That looks just like the Craftsman that I paid $189 for several years back. Maybe made in the same Chinese factory.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,128  
Just a word of caution. While a wood chop saw may fit an abrasive wheel, many of the wood cutters have some plastic parts that could melt and even catch fire using an abrasive wheel. Yours may be all metal and could work with saw blades or metal cutting abrasive blades but be careful or you may end up needing to buy a new chop saw.

Agreed. For seventy bucks, I'm not ruining my good woodworking saw. Thanks

http://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/cut-off-saws/3-12-hp-14-industrial-cut-off-saw-68104.html
they make a higher hp one also. Think that's worth thirty bucks more?
wonder if it's 220, how do they get 3 1/2 hp on 120?

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,129  
Master fabricator? I can only dream....
My problem is I set high standards and my own work doesn't meet them sometimes...not uncommon I'm sure.
I've worked mostly in wood, have a wood shop in the basement, and am slowly learning to work in metal.
Using a hand hack saw truly sucks...

grumpy built private jet and aircraft interiors for many years ,Most of my work is still flying 10,000 -30,000 + ft and you can't make mistakes at that level .I have never in over 35 years had an incident with one of our jobs ,Ever ! The number 1 rule be it wood /metal/plastics/composites /leather measure twice cut once Thats always worked for us and the small amount of time makes a big difference in costs ,I have learned many tricks and procedures from some of the people who have worked with us and just because someone has a pilots license does not mean their well off or intelligent .There was an old saying that has proved to be true "there are old pilots and bold pilots but no old bold pilots " I have seen men die trying to show off or just not paying attention . back to the thread I have found that there really are tools from Harbor freight that don't suck and have bought my fair share and for the average home handyman most will do the job ,but "just like dating a fat girl or riding a moped there fun to use but you don't want your friends to see"

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,130  
but you don't want your friends to see"

Luckily my best mechanical buddy who I call on to help me with things is a HF fan,
on a more restricted budget than I am, and we both have HF cranes, and can't live without them.

A lot of Torin equipment looks like better painted HF stuff. Anybody know if there's a connection?