Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,131  
Agreed. For seventy bucks, I'm not ruining my good woodworking saw. Thanks

3-1/2 HP 14" Industrial Cut-Off Saw
they make a higher hp one also. Think that's worth thirty bucks more?
wonder if it's 220, how do they get 3 1/2 hp on 120?

as I posted before I have bought thousands of harbor freight tool store returns and I have seen many of the cheaper cut off saws but never one of the 3 1/2 hp ones if that helps .if it were me I'd just buy the better one and always buy the extended warranty on electric power tools , I use a machine buffer quite often and with the warranty they have replaced it 3 times with little extra cost I put the recipt in the box and date the outside of the box so I can make sure it's running right before the warranty expires , I know a few guys who buy the 220 aircompressors with the warranty and use them for a year and then return them and get a brand new one every year .

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,132  
Horsepower is terribly overstated!

Horsepower is more like 2.2 at 90% conversion efficiency. Remember 746 electrical watts = 1 HP @ 100% conversion efficiency. Isn't the false HP statement a violation of some Federal Law?

Now I don't feel so crazy... this is a post on the reviews of the larger saw, which btw were almost totally positive.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,133  
Horsepower is terribly overstated!

Horsepower is more like 2.2 at 90% conversion efficiency. Remember 746 electrical watts = 1 HP @ 100% conversion efficiency. Isn't the false HP statement a violation of some Federal Law?

Now I don't feel so crazy... this is a post on the reviews of the larger saw, which btw were almost totally positive.

There were lawsuits against most small engine manufacturers years ago over stated hp vs actual hp thats why all the engines you see now are listed as cc's and not hp

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,134  
There were lawsuits against most small engine manufacturers years ago over stated hp vs actual hp thats why all the engines you see now are listed as cc's and not hp

Agreed. Because these are electric motors, I though UL or whatever had this straightened out a long time ago...
From what I've seen on table saws, going over 3hp usually means a 220 motor or that 120 power source had better be a full 20amps.
And this one said it was 15. Just doesn't compute.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,135  
Agreed. Because these are electric motors, I though UL or whatever had this straightened out a long time ago...
From what I've seen on table saws, going over 3hp usually means a 220 motor or that 120 power source had better be a full 20amps.
And this one said it was 15. Just doesn't compute.
Darn right. And these are brush universal type motors ... notoriously inefficient. With a good single phase induction motor you can get 3HP output on 120VAC, 20A. These brush motors are either rated as 3HP input ... or peak output as you blow the 20A breaker. ??? Are these variable or single speed setups ... anybody know?
larry

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,136  
single, but can be varied by pulley to a different set speed

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,137  
Central Hydraulic Log Splitter, about 10 years old, it sat not used for the last 5 years. Only problem was both tires went flat and bead broke, took care of that with some ether and a lighter. It has the briggs engine, with fresh gas, turned on fuel switch, started after a couple pulls, runs like a champ. I think I paid about $600 for it new about 10 years ago, got to say it was worth every penny, has split every log I could load into it. IMAG0064.jpg

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,138  
Central Hydraulic Log Splitter, about 10 years old, it sat not used for the last 5 years. Only problem was both tires went flat and bead broke, took care of that with some ether and a lighter. It has the briggs engine, with fresh gas, turned on fuel switch, started after a couple pulls, runs like a champ. I think I paid about $600 for it new about 10 years ago, got to say it was worth every penny, has split every log I could load into it.View attachment 301100

Nice picture of your wood splitting operation. Looks like you had a lot of trees blown down too, so you'll keep busy now.
Those Briggs engines don't get a lot of respect, but boy, I have the 1650 on my TSC/Huskee splitter and the engine is a serious good starter like yours.
Even in really cold weather, it starts right up. I use synthetic oil and only run it at half to three quarters speed, plenty of power, so I hope it lasts a long time.

I'm looking closer at your splitter, and that's built sturdily for a 600 dollar splitter.
As I've said before, the Chinese do well with iron and steel.

Last edited:
   / Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,139  
That looks just like the Craftsman that I paid $189 for several years back. Maybe made in the same Chinese factory.

I don't like the orientation of the handle on this saw. If you are using it on a bench then it will be difficult to control. If using it on the floor it would be OK. A saw with the handle grip horizontal would be easier on the wrist. One or two cuts a day you wouldn't feel it, but if you were using it all day long you would.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,140  
I don't like the orientation of the handle on this saw. If you are using it on a bench then it will be difficult to control. If using it on the floor it would be OK. A saw with the handle grip horizontal would be easier on the wrist. One or two cuts a day you wouldn't feel it, but if you were using it all day long you would.
sounds like you need to excercise a little more if you can't run a saw more than a couple times a day ,
last week I bought one of these Dewalt saws at a local pawn shop for $100.00 easily replaceable brushes and like new condition , never ceases to amaze me why people won;t use pawn shops to buy equipment 51y-JiHwMPL._AA300_.jpg