Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,151  
I don't like the orientation of the handle on this [chop] saw. If you are using it on a bench then it will be difficult to control. ... One or two cuts a day you wouldn't feel it, but if you were using it all day long you would.
Getting back to bad ergonomics this HF shredder clearly wasn't designed by anyone who would have to run it. Long material has to be held tiringly high to push it in (and it feeds slowly), plus the outlet is so close to the ground that I can only accumulate maybe three inches of shredded material on that grain shovel. In fact there isn't enough space below to slide the shovel straight in where it catches everything.

Anything over broomstick size will jam it so that is supposed to go in the shredder's small lower opening, but pushing anything in there hammers your hand so hard you think all your fingers got broken.

Unscrewing eight nuts and washers to clear jams (without losing them!) is a PIA. The shredder has to be perfectly precisely level or the low oil shut off will kill the engine. (while the dipstick shows full). The wheels are too small, you have to rassle it to keep it from tipping over while pulling it over unimproved ground.

On the plus side it starts easily and has plenty of power. In summary I think a used US name brand shredder would have been a better buy but I couldn't find one at the time.

236067d1320291604-chipper-p1640058rhfshredderinuse.jpg

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,152  
sounds like you need to excercise a little more if you can't run a saw more than a couple times a day ,
last week I bought one of these Dewalt saws at a local pawn shop for $100.00 easily replaceable brushes and like new condition , never ceases to amaze me why people won;t use pawn shops to buy equipment View attachment 301113

I can, but you are missing the point. Carpel tunnel and other repetitive injuries originate from tools like these that IF operated with any regularity, such as more than a couple times a day, will lead to repetitive stress injuries. I can operate that poorly designed tool all, but I prefer one that is more conMfortable to use. Also notice the one you bought the handle is 9- degrees to the HF tool, which is where the problem lies with the HF tool.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,153  
Maybe we need to start a list of pawn shops that sell tools at a decent price. The ones I have visited want close to new price. Go figure.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,154  
Maybe we need to start a list of pawn shops that sell tools at a decent price. The ones I have visited want close to new price. Go figure.

you have to go to the independent owned stores ,some like cash america own 10,000 stores across the US and have different pricing schedules and offer $50.00 less than asking price

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,155  
Grumpy,
how do you know the stuff isn't stolen and may get taken back from you at some point?
just wondering.... sorry, other than tv, never seen a pawn store, I guess a sheltered existence....
Can you tell us your "bargaining" techniques? Maybe we can use them at HF.
Drew

Last edited:
   / Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,156  
In summary I think a used US name brand shredder would have been a better buy

MerryMac and a few others make them but I think most of these inexpensive shredders wind up back on CraigsList by owners
who are tired of working too hard to use them. I thought about one, do composting also, but a heavy duty one was pricey.
Real pricey.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,157  
Grumpy,
how do you know the stuff isn't stolen and may get taken back from you at some point?
just wondering.... sorry, other than tv, never seen a pawn store, I guess a sheltered existence....
Can you tell us your "bargaining" techniques?
Drew

pawn shops around here anyways are very busy all day long with people standing 6 deep in line waiting to either pawn/sell or buy items in the store , as far as stolen items by the time they come out for sale the pawn shop has had to hold the item for a minimum of 30 days when sold to the shop and if it was pawned 60 days before the person who pawned it looses it and it goes up for sale everyday the shop has to send a list of bought and pawned items to the local police every police station has 1 officer who just deals with this paperwork daily with a detailed description /serial number and the sellers photo id along with a thumb print ,so you would have to be pretty stupid to try to pawn stolen items but it does happen daily and they get arrested pretty fast and sent to jail , THE BEST WAY TO PROTECT YOUR STUFF IS A PHOTO AND SERIAL # RECORD if you don't have the serial number your out of luck ! And once sold they can not come to you and get it back they only have 30 days and they hold it that long so things like that don't happen . works the same way with guns . I am sure there are multiple pawnshops in a larger city near you just look . I have bought everything from brand new logsplitters /new barbecue grills And every dewalt tool ever made for 1/2 or less of retail ,guns/chainsaws/hammer drills/brand new roto tillers/tandum axle trailers /gold /silver /coin collections /I just bought a samsung 60 inch flat screen tv brand new in the sealed box with a 30 day return warranty for $400.00 . Many people have lost their jobs or over spent /need rent money and pawn/sell their items for cash all day every day . some just have no cash yet have a store credit card they go to a store and buy a big ticket item (like a flat screen tv ) and then take it to a pawn shop and pawn the item for cash ,they have 60 days to come pay the money + interest and get it back or pay nothing and it goes up for sale , around here there are guys who do nothing but buy pawn shop items double the price and resell them on craigs list for cash also many buy the name brand socket sets and list them on e-bay , you have to have a serious knowledge of what things are worth and how to know there current condition and resale value online .I know guys who make over $75,000.00 a year doing this and work when they feel like it .And it's all legal !

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,158  
Grumpy,
Can you tell us your "bargaining" techniques? Maybe we can use them at HF.
Drew

Around here police check very closely on a regular basis so the shops are very careful.* Identification is required to be able to pawn goods as it is well known that the bad guys like to use the pawn shops like a wholesale fencing source.
IF, by chance whatever you buy slipped past the checks and proves to be stolen, you would not be considered as a receiver of stolen goods but the shop might be. Best to keep your receipt as proof of proper transaction.

* same applies for scrap yards.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,159  
Around here police check very closely on a regular basis so the shops are very careful.* Identification is required to be able to pawn goods as it is well known that the bad guys like to use the pawn shops like a wholesale fencing source.
IF, by chance whatever you buy slipped past the checks and proves to be stolen, you would not be considered as a receiver of stolen goods but the shop might be. Best to keep your receipt as proof of proper transaction.

* same applies for scrap yards.

scrap yards reminds me of a guy they arrested here last year , He was stalking driveways for older cars and loading them on his flatbed tow truck and selling them for scrap ! if I remember right they charged him with 18 thefts and some where old muscle car projects being restored !

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,160  
I have had good luck with the two setting ($10 on sale) heat gun that has seen continuous use on low settings five hours at a time with total time being around 30 hours currently.