Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,191  
At that price on the generator, I'd go to Costco and get theirs. Price is a little higher, but Costco will stand behind it.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,192  
Recently, I've bought several tools (20 ton shop press, metal bender, 3 ton floor jack, etc...) from Harbor Freight and have been pleased with them so far. One has to be careful because the quality control is often spotty at best, but their 90 day warranty generally covers any problems I've encountered.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,193  
Another thread on Welding Web is a reminder that MIG 180 is a throwaway tool.
I just sent an e-mail to HF and found out that no parts are available for this machine! I sent a specific parts list and they nothing is available and won't be in the future!
HF published a similar post on their review page.

image_20395.jpg

Better buy the Extended Warranty with this one!

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck
#3,194  
At that price on the generator, I'd go to Costco and get theirs. Price is a little higher, but Costco will stand behind it.

+1. And the Champion generators have a good reputation. HF generators seems to be all over the map for quality.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,195  
+1. And the Champion generators have a good reputation. HF generators seems to be all over the map for quality.
I have a Champion dealer/distributor/service location ~25 minutes from the house. Great guys there.

Aaron Z

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,196  
Maybe relevant to somebody:

Owners of air cooled Chinese clone engines that claim interchangeability with authentic Yanmar generator engines have a thread going in the Yanmar forum. Some of those posts might be helpful in choosing what brand of generator to buy - or to avoid. Apparently clone quality varies by brand name, for claimed-identical design. Some of the clone generator engines died or needed overhaul at under 100 hours.

Example:
"My Chinese generator would skip/sputter at high rpm (at 40 hours) when the cam bearing failed"

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,197  

And there lies the problem that HF is about to face. They are trying to raise prices and reduce the percentage discount offered yet compete with better quality Chinese items available in the mainstream Big Box stores that offer a better warranty.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,198  
Uh-oh, they are getting ready to open a store in Hickory, NC in the old Circuit City location in the Academy Sports shopping center.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,199  

I tore one down that had 800 hrs on it and the innards were just as nice as a brand new engine, cost me all of price of gaskets to rebuild it as nothing at all could be improved. (problem was simple valve adjustments, we expected much worst as it had 0 compression) It came from a recycle yard for price of scrap. Runs like new now and ran for a 4 day power outage non stop.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,200  

I tore one down that had 800 hrs on it and the innards were just as nice as a brand new engine, cost me all of price of gaskets to rebuild it as nothing at all could be improved. (problem was simple valve adjustments, we expected much worst as it had 0 compression) It came from a recycle yard for price of scrap. Runs like new now and ran non stop during a 4 day power outage.