Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,211  
............... Maybe you just straightened it up for the photos?

No, By having a lot of room in drawers, I try to keep everything one layer deep. The reason I posted these photos was to show what can be done with old garage sale finds if they are re-purposed. I would rather make something than buy it. Here is an old wooden cabinet from a school cafeteria kitchen. I added some shelves, but not permanently. It's not too neat, but very useful for the bigger air tools.

WoodCabinet.jpg

Last edited:
   / Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,212  
graydog,
impressive storage units, and basically, YOU made them. If all of us had enough decent storage room , ,we wouldn't dump things on top of each other.
You've avoided that, and my compliments, nice work!
I like recycling also, and to look at a nice older oak cabinet that actually works must be very satisfying. More money to spend on tools.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,213  
graydog--very impressive, especially the door on your wooden shelving. I'm going to be on the lookout for a map cabinet like yours. I've seen them in the past but never connected --duh---the possibilities.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,214  
graydog111, do those Snap Off tools have a lifetime guarentee? :)

(I noticed the name on the front of your chest of drawers)

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,215  
graydog111, do those Snap Off tools have a lifetime guarentee? :)

(I noticed the name on the front of your chest of drawers)

I had never thought of that... but like they say, what goes up, must come down. So, I guess, what Snaps On, must Snap Off!!:D
jp

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,216  
Quick question on the Harbor Freight plastic laminator. I had planned to buy one and headed over there with $20 coupon in hand (I love a deal) and the wife asked what I planned to laminate. Well, I could only come up with two items. And since I don't need another piece of "stuff" around, I left empty handed.

Question is, could I just pick up a couple of those plastic lamination pouches and use an old iron to seal it up? Bad idea? Towering inferno of plastic?

9" Hot Laminator

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,217  
I did not mean to hijack this thread, but I cannot find a way to start a new thread: "Homemade tools". I am 76 and have made many useful tools and I know that a lot of other members have also. (If a moderator could open this in new thread "Homemade tools", I would appreciate it.)

I made 3 of these hose reels. They are nice, but require way too much labor.

Hose Roller1.jpg

Here was my solution:
Harbor Freight sells these hose rells for about $12 on sale.

HF hose reel.jpg

They are no good as-is, but when you add 2 hoops of 3/8" rod, they are great. I wrapped the rod around a 16" wheel rim to get them to correct size and then MIG welded them on.

Hose Roller2.jpgHose Roller3.jpg

Here is a photo of a bolt and screw storage system I made that is really nice and cost nothing but some old used 1"x 6" lumber and some plastic 1 qt. oil containers. No more digging through buckets of bolts for the one you need. Be sure to wash out the containers. The tops can then be sliced off with a table saw or radial arm.

Bolt & Screw Storage.jpg That flat pan hanging on the right side is for sorting the parts.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,218  
The RED 5 drawer U.S. General tool cart is very heavy and has top quality drawers, rollers and wheels. It is comparable to any heavy duty tool box that you can buy. And for $199 you cant beat the price. Be ready to spend some time tightening bolts. I used my air ratchet to spin up those 50 or so bolts that hold all the frame and drawers together.
http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_20250.jpg

Yeah I totally agree with this but would point out that its routinely available for 169.99 if you look for the coupons in the back of auto/ motorcycle/truck etc magazines.

S

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,220  
gray dog,
sure you weren't an engineer for CoxReel? I like the anti static strap.
I'm no authority here but I think you should post these under Projects.