Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,221  
Here was my solution:
Harbor Freight sells these hose rells for about $12 on sale.
View attachment 306196
They are no good as-is, but when you add 2 hoops of 3/8" rod, they are great. I wrapped the rod around a 16" wheel rim to get them to correct size and then MIG welded them on.
View attachment 306194View attachment 306195
I have one of those, but the spinner for the hose (ie: the part that lets the hose spin while under pressure) leaks like a sieve. Have you run into that?

Thanks

Aaron Z

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,222  
aczlan said:
I have one of those, but the spinner for the hose (ie: the part that lets the hose spin while under pressure) leaks like a sieve. Have you run into that?

Thanks

Aaron Z

Mine used to leak years ago. I believe I just had to replace an o-ring, but I honestly can't recall now. You can pick up an o-ring at Ace Hardware.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,223  
Good idea on the hose reels, graydog. I'm going to have to do that to mine.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,224  
Graydog--Here's how to start a thread. it's a piece of cake.

1. Click on "forums" at the top of the page.

2. Scroll down to the forum you want. Maybe "projects". Click on it.

3. When it opens, click on "post new thread"

You'll need to put a title to it but that's all there is to it. If you can post a picture--and you have--you can start a thread.
Post lots of pictures. I get the feeling you have a lot of projects we would like to oogle over.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,225  
Graydog,
How well do the swivels connecting the HF hose reel to the air supply," seal? Do they leak?

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,226  
Where can I get a Blasting cab for cleaning parts.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,228  
Probably a blasting cabinet, for sandblasting. Yes, HF has those as well, although often great deals can be had on these on craigslist. People don't tend to keep sandblasting equipment for some reason.
Another thing that's worth getting from HF is their storehouse assortments, like auto fuses, hose clamps, grease zerks, and O-rings. There's nothings quite so frustrating as being one small piddly items shy of completing a project, and having a good stock on hand pays off.

Last edited:
   / Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,229  
Graydog,
How well do the swivels connecting the HF hose reel to the air supply," seal? Do they leak?
No, the HF reels have never leaked and are several years old. The light blue one I made from scratch leaks, but it has a quick connect instead of a swivel. (It's quiet a bit cheaper.) It's no problem though, since I have a ball valve I turn off and on.

SIXDOGS answered "how to start a thread"
Thanks SIXDOGS

DAUGEN; "I like the anti static strap"
The strap on the light blue one is a brake to keep it from unwinding. It works good.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,230  
>The F-style welding clamps are good as are the Vice Grip style locking c-clamps.<

They may be as good as ViCe Grip c-clams - but note - ViCe Grip is not the same as ViSe Grip. Different company, different quality.