Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,271  
http://www.harborfreight.com/workbench-with-4-drawers-60-hardwood-69054.html

today's trip to HF was disappointing. That wood bench is a fake. It doesn't have a thick wooden top, that's just side fascia. The top is less than an inch thick and of some composite. so much for two or more inches of butcherblock. The whole table looked like it needed to be strengthened in several areas, and while it had lots of "features" they weren't impressive. The drawer slides were nasty, not one came out the same distance and most of them bound up in some spot. yes, you really do get what you pay for. If the top were real, I would have bought it and made it stronger. But the core piece of the table is light weight. Not what I'm looking for.

Even bought a two pound box of welding rods, not cheap at four bucks a pound. But the plastic container looked nicely
reusable.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,272  
daugen---you are correct...different prices in different places and it all changes every 15 minutes. I've seen the one ton crane that you mention for $99 as well as $200 over the past year or so. Same with most everything--I make a mental list and when the pricing bell tolls the right price, I get it. By the way, the two ton crane has a longer reach so is more useful and can be had for around $145 when you get lucky with the "sale" price and have a coupon. Plus get a free tape measure or flashlight to boot.

What I find interesting is the number of people in the store with no coupon that simply pay retail prices.

They must have no idea how HF works. Today there was a full rack of fliers right in front when one went in, with "valuable coupons" highlighted.
So you don't even have to bring the coupon in, they usually have it there for you. Usually...

Interesting today that the garage cranes are now painted charcoal grey, not our previous mildly obnoxious, and oh so thin, orange paint.
And now labeled Pittsburgh. Per the staffer, "we own the factories where all this stuff is made". Ok.

When I first started going to the Trenton NJ HF, the staff was awful, just lowest of the workforce dumb and often under the influence.
And everyone was in agreement that adding a twenty off coupon to an existing super coupon was just fine. Bought a lot of stuff that way, until the staff improved, and the next trip it was clearly explained what the policy was. But I bet some of you
get that discount, perhaps store discretion due to market?

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck
#3,273  
......... But I bet some of you get that discount, perhaps store discretion due to market?

My store won't stack coupons, but will allow coupons on sale items (except the usual excluded stuff).

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,274  
FREE SHIPPING — Generac GP15000E Portable Generator — 22,500 Surge Watts, 15,000 Rated Watts, Model# 5734 | Portable Generators| Northern Tool + Equipment

I saw this and had to share it. Look down on the product detail to the blow up diagram and on the right
are the immortal product words:
3 to 4 hour longer life than competition.

Ok. three to four hours more is something. Not quite the rock my world kinda number
I was hoping for...:D

So if the good stuff only lasts three to four hours longer than HF, well, HF is a pretty good deal right?...

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,276  
   / Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,277  
   / Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,278  
http://www.harborfreight.com/workbench-with-4-drawers-60-hardwood-69054.html

today's trip to HF was disappointing. That wood bench is a fake. It doesn't have a thick wooden top, that's just side fascia. The top is less than an inch thick and of some composite. so much for two or more inches of butcherblock. The whole table looked like it needed to be strengthened in several areas, and while it had lots of "features" they weren't impressive. The drawer slides were nasty, not one came out the same distance and most of them bound up in some spot. yes, you really do get what you pay for. If the top were real, I would have bought it and made it stronger. But the core piece of the table is light weight. Not what I'm looking for.

Even bought a two pound box of welding rods, not cheap at four bucks a pound. But the plastic container looked nicely
reusable.

Thanks for the post, that wood bench looked too good to be true.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,279  
FREE SHIPPING — Generac GP15000E Portable Generator — 22,500 Surge Watts, 15,000 Rated Watts, Model# 5734 | Portable Generators| Northern Tool + Equipment

I saw this and had to share it. Look down on the product detail to the blow up diagram and on the right
are the immortal product words:
3 to 4 hour longer life than competition.

Ok. three to four hours more is something. Not quite the rock my world kinda number
I was hoping for...:D

So if the good stuff only lasts three to four hours longer than HF, well, HF is a pretty good deal right?...

That is WAY too funny!

I wonder if the "easy to ready fuel guage" helps the engine last that extra 3 to 4 hours.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,280  
I'm getting some useful work out of mine. Its the 5 years ago blue model - I've read that the present black one is better.

Here's a post I put on Welding Web recently. This project was perfectly matched to the capability of the 90A flux welder.

----------------quote-------------

This weld was with a 94056 (Blue 90A AC flux welder, 5 years ago model). I looked to see what sort of FC wire gave me this low-splatter result and discovered I had put the original HF wire back in it - K-kng brand or something like that. Apparently low splatter is as much finding the right settings as it is the brand of wire. This is the lowest-splatter weld I've ever made with it.

Please excuse the amateurish welding technique - I weld infrequently and never practice before a project. In this case I welded 'ears' on a sleeve so I could pin the sleeve to the back of the tractor, to hold a pulley for lifting a spike harrow. Ugly I know, but my welds stay welded. I've never had one break. This is the sort of project I bought the 90A welder to do.
--------------------------------

View attachment 307654 View attachment 307656

Hey California,

Nice looking adaptation!

Was that white part repurposed from a weight-training machine?

It looks just like the torture devices they had at the PT where I rehabbed after my knee replacement.

I love seeing salvaged materials at work and do my best to keep all the steel and iron [as welll as lumber and electronics] I can from going to the dump.

I'm working on a couple of projects made from stuff I found or scrounged and will be posting them as soon as they get done [if they ever do].

Nice work, thanks for showing what can be done when you set your mind to it.

Thomas

Last edited: