Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,281  
daugen---you are correct...different prices in different places and it all changes every 15 minutes. I've seen the one ton crane that you mention for $99 as well as $200 over the past year or so. Same with most everything--I make a mental list and when the pricing bell tolls the right price, I get it. By the way, the two ton crane has a longer reach so is more useful and can be had for around $145 when you get lucky with the "sale" price and have a coupon. Plus get a free tape measure or flashlight to boot.

What I find interesting is the number of people in the store with no coupon that simply pay retail prices.

Hi Six-Dogs,

Are you talking about the folding shop crane that "retails" for [the ficticious regular price] of $269, but is often on sale for the low $200's?
image_20972.jpg

2 Ton Foldable Shop Crane

Or is there another one I missed?

I have never seen that one on sale for the $175 it would need to be at to get it for $145 with the "special 20% off coupon" or I'd already own one.

Good eyes on you if you saw it for that $.

From now on, I'll be looking sharp to find it too.

Thomas

Thanks,
Thomas

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,282  
Hey California,

Nice looking adaptation!

Was that white part repurposed from a weight-training machine?
Nice work, thanks for showing what can be done when you set your mind to it.
Thanks!

You have a good eye. Yes, the white part (mast with pulley at the top, and the sleeve it slips into) are salvaged from exercise equipment my neighbor gave me when she moved away. It had twenty 10 lb weights lifted via pulleys when you rowed, lifted, or swung your elbows inward, etc. I never saw it set up but it must have been expensive since she owns a pro ladies gym somewhere. In addition to the 200 lbs of cast weights there was another couple hundred pounds of steel, pulleys, brackets, etc, enough to weld up several Rube Goldberg farm implements when I get around to it. As I noted, the HF 90A flux welder worked well in this application.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,283  
Thanks!

You have a good eye. Yes, the white part (mast with pulley at the top, and the sleeve it slips into) are salvaged from exercise equipment my neighbor gave me when she moved away. It had twenty 10 lb weights lifted via pulleys when you rowed, lifted, or swung your elbows inward, etc. I never saw it set up but it must have been expensive since she owns a pro ladies gym somewhere. In addition to the 200 lbs of cast weights there was another couple hundred pounds of steel, pulleys, brackets, etc, enough to weld up several Rube Goldberg farm implements when I get around to it. As I noted, the HF 90A flux welder worked well in this application.

You mentioned spatter in your previous post. I got one of the last blue 90amp welders. Seams to do a decent job. I need more practice. I had originally dropped in flux core lincolin wire I got at Lowes because everyone said not to even mess with the wire that came with it. I was thinking that every one was exaggerating how much spatter you get from the flux core setup, until I ran out of lincolin wire and had to use the original spool. Boy I got a LOT of spatter. Little balls of metal everywhere. I also get some sticking and burn back I did not have with the lincolin wire.

So, are the old ones hot all the time, or does the tip turn on with the trigger? Makes me nervous having a hot tip when ever the box is turned on.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,284  
... are the old ones hot all the time, or does the tip turn on with the trigger? Makes me nervous having a hot tip when ever the box is turned on.
Yes, my #94056 (HF's last 90A without a fan, 2005~2007 ??) is silent with the switch ON (no fan) but the tip is live. You learn to turn the switch off before lifting your mask. Its no different than a stick welder in that aspect.

All of HF's cheap welders are a compromise between cheap and full featured, and at a price about one-fifth of a 'real' welder, the compromises are obvious. Mine's worth the $74 (with coupon, back in the day) that I paid for it. I would probably buy the black version today when a project came along that it was suitable for, such as my harrow lift.

I should mention that I already had an old AC stick welder, 220v/225amp, when I bought this flux welder. I think now after a few years experience with both that this flux welder merely duplicates what I could do with the stick welder on small projects, turned down low. But the little HF welder is so much more convenient to get out of storage and set up, that I never use the larger welder unless I need its capability to weld thicker material.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,285  
Hi Six-Dogs,

Are you talking about the folding shop crane that "retails" for [the ficticious regular price] of $269, but is often on sale for the low $200's?
Or is there another one I missed?
I have never seen that one on sale for the $175 it would need to be at to get it for $145 with the "special 20% off coupon" or I'd already own one.
Good eyes on you if you saw it for that $.
From now on, I'll be looking sharp to find it too.

Thanks,
Thomas

There are only two shop cranes--the one ton and the two ton. The one ton is on "sale", every now and then for$99. if you want that one, that's the price point to buy and the lowest price I can recall.

The two ton may retail for whatever but several times a year goes for maybe $179 on so-call sale so with a 20% coupon gives a good price. Their prices are a little higher this year but I would expect it to be on sale for $179-$189 or so and with a coupon comes out to $150 or so. just keep your eyes open and if I see it on sale I'll post it here. Actually, the month after I bought mine last year I saw it $10 cheaper.

Here's that two ton--- 2 Ton Foldable Shop Crane It's the one to buy since the limited reach of the one ton makes it harder to use in some applications.

To be a successful HF shopper, you have to learn to take the long view and plan out what you need not this week but next year and then develop a strategy so the tool is there before you need it.

EDIT--Get on their email alert list so they send the coupons and sale info direct to you. Deals seem to be better that the print coupons.

Last edited:
   / Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,286  
Has anyone had any experience with the HF air compressors. Been shopping for one.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,288  
Before buying a compressor or air tools learn a little about HF's CFM rating and real SCFM. (Standard Cubic Feet per Minute). I bought their prior 10 gallon / 2.5 hp compressor that they claimed did 5.9 CFM @ 90 psi and some larger number at 40 psi, maybe 6.5 CFM.

Then I tried to use it to drive their die grinder that prominently says '4.5 CFM' on its box. I near burned up the compressor motor - huge clouds of smoke came out - I almost couldn't see the compressor when I turned around to identify the burning smell - and it wasn't providing over 25 psi by that time. Its overheating relay didn't cut out to protect the compressor even when it was smoking like a train. (but subsequently, it still works).

Today I was in HF and saw that that same die grinder now says on the box: 4.5 CFM and on the back of the box: 'needs 18 SCFM'.

Caveat Emptor.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,289  
A note on shop/engine cranes: They work great for holding sheetrock to the ceiling. All it takes is a pair of 6 foot 2x6's and some 3 foot cross pieces. One bolt holds the 2x6's to the boom, one on each side, near where the chain/hook normally is. 3 or 4 more screwed to the top and you are done. Let it down to the ground to load and pump it up to raise the sheetrock hits the roof. Great if you are rocking by yourself.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,290  
I AM TRYING TO PICTURE HOW THIS WOULD LOOK,IAM NOT GETTING IT,DO YOU HAVE PICS,THANKS FOR YOUR TIME.I HAVE A REC ROOM CEILING THAT NEEDS ROCKING BUT CANT DO IT MYSELF.
A note on shop/engine cranes: They work great for holding sheetrock to the ceiling. All it takes is a pair of 6 foot 2x6's and some 3 foot cross pieces. One bolt holds the 2x6's to the boom, one on each side, near where the chain/hook normally is. 3 or 4 more screwed to the top and you are done. Let it down to the ground to load and pump it up to raise the sheetrock hits the roof. Great if you are rocking by yourself.