Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,291  
A note on shop/engine cranes: They work great for holding sheetrock to the ceiling. All it takes is a pair of 6 foot 2x6's and some 3 foot cross pieces. One bolt holds the 2x6's to the boom, one on each side, near where the chain/hook normally is. 3 or 4 more screwed to the top and you are done. Let it down to the ground to load and pump it up to raise the sheetrock hits the roof. Great if you are rocking by yourself.

Wow, awesome. We need a thread of unintended, yet successful uses for Harbor Freight stuff.

Last edited:
   / Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,292  
A note on shop/engine cranes: They work great for holding sheetrock to the ceiling. All it takes is a pair of 6 foot 2x6's and some 3 foot cross pieces. One bolt holds the 2x6's to the boom, one on each side, near where the chain/hook normally is. 3 or 4 more screwed to the top and you are done. Let it down to the ground to load and pump it up to raise the sheetrock hits the roof. Great if you are rocking by yourself.

Here are some:

http://fingerlakesmachine.com/id2.html

http://bbssystem.com/viewtopic.php?t=607

Bruce

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,294  
Maybe a quick sketch will help. It is just a simple frame like ditty that pivots on the end of the cranes boom.

srLift2.jpgsrLift.jpg

My crane is heavy enough that I can extend the boom but keep the wheels unextended which makes it a bit easier to move around. Moving the thing is its main drawback. I used a setup like this to rock a hip roofed garage ceiling. To do that you need to put a lip on the 2x4 nearest pump handle of the crane upright to keep the drywall from sliding off.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,295  
A lot of 'em make great paperweights. :D

This one is not from harbor freight but they sell similar units. I tried to use it to change the front tire on my BX2200 and nearly ruined the tire as the bead wire is now showing in one spot. Had the tire lub etc.

41E-7pbd5EL._SY300_.jpg

I finally gave up and took the tire to a tire shop. The guy did it on the floor with tire irons. He failed the first time out then put a vice grip on the rim next to the first iron. Then he worked his way around the rim with just one iron.

Thinking maybe the rims and tires are not well matched because I had to cut one of the bead wires on the old tire to get it off.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,296  
Travelover said:
I have the 2 HP one that regularly goes on sale for $99. I only use it occasionally, but I'm happy with it.
2 Horsepower, 8 gal., 125 PSI Portable Air Compressor

I have that one sitting in my garage. It worked well for a couple of years until it died. Pressure switch broke. Probably had about 30 hours on it, maybe a bit more. I could probably fix it, but haven't had the time.

It does pull a ton of current, and won't start up in the cold under pressure. I used it with a hvlp sprayer and it kept up just fine.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,299  
Yes, good pics and good job. Thank you.