Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,341  
Anyone used either of the two HF 20T air/hydraulic bottle jacks for 20T press?

And what is the difference between the two anyway? Looking at both manuals I don't see one and they both use the same manual to boot which makes it even more puzzling as to why to different model numbers if the jacks are the same? However they are apparently not 100% the same because on the back of the manual they have different parts break down pages and a different number of parts.

I'm looking at models 69593 and 95553.

Does one work better in the 20T press in place of the manual jack?

One looks to have a better quality air cylinder than the other.

I have used both their 16T and 20 ton air/hydraulic jacks, though NOT in a press and I have no record of which model/catalog numbers.
I used them at different times to separate a 40 ft trailer from its towing truck - they didn't last very long outside.

The way(s) I use a hydraulic press I doubt that the air over jack would be an advantage, could be a drawback/hazard.
Just a little bit of force, a tad more, no more once it starts to move - sort of scenario.
Same/similar with pressing things in, ~1/2 inch or so to seat a bearing.

I rarely need to drive anything through, straight through and quickly.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,342  
I have used both their 16T and 20 ton air/hydraulic jacks, though NOT in a press and I have no record of which model/catalog numbers.
I used them at different times to separate a 40 ft trailer from its towing truck - they didn't last very long outside.

The way(s) I use a hydraulic press I doubt that the air over jack would be an advantage, could be a drawback/hazard.
Just a little bit of force, a tad more, no more once it starts to move - sort of scenario.
Same/similar with pressing things in, ~1/2 inch or so to seat a bearing.

I rarely need to drive anything through, straight through and quickly.

thanks for your response. i saw some feedback comments from people on the HF site about these jacks and a couple people mentioned using them on the 20T press. My friend has a 50T (not from HF, I forget the make) and he has a electric powered hydraulic pump with a adjustable relief valve to control maximum pressure with a foot pedal control. its a nice setup. sounds like the air over hydraulic does not gives you the fine control you would want in an application like this. as you said maybe better to stay away.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,343  
I suspect when you see 'twins' like that with different model #'s it means different suppliers.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,344  
I use one of the 20-ton air-over jacks from HF on their 20 ton press - I like having BOTH ways to work. I typically use the air to get there quicker, then use the hand pump to "finesse" things slower. Works fine for me... Steve

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,345  
I suspect when you see 'twins' like that with different model #'s it means different suppliers.

good point i didn't think of that.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,346  
My 20 ton press (not HF) is both hand and air operated. I use the air on occasion but only when the job doesn't require finesse.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,347  
Their creeper shown below is one that I believe sucks. It did not work for me and I had two of them crack badly where the wheels bolt on. These are often on "sale" for $20 or less and would be OK if they would somehow make them of stronger plastic. As for now, I would avoid this creeper.

Oversized Low-Profile Creeper

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,348  
Harbor Freight Laser Levels that don't suck ?

In another forum I was asked if HF has any laser levels that don't suck. Her husband is a contractor and works outside.

Hubby needs another (small that will fit under the seat in the rig, not a huge case like the main one that was $2000), and I am being cheap ...

I have an older worse version of the cheapest one item #69259, it is worthless outside unless you work in the near dark or dark. Does anyone have experience with the others. Having used it I expect to upgrade to a self leveling one that uses gravity to level itself once you get it close.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck
#3,349  
Re: Harbor Freight Laser Levels that don't suck ?

I was looking for replacement NiCd AA batteries for my cheapie solar lights. I found that HF has a 4 pack of 700 mAh for $4, on sale. So $3.20 after the coupon. No word on life, but how much worse can they be than what came in the China made lights?

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,350  
Gary, here's a case where who do you trust...would you crawl under your ten foot mower held up by the $19 grade 70's, or the $80 ones? Are they both really grade 70?
Now you may be using these as dragging chains, so the example is poor, but I'm sure you could adjust to fit. No one wants a chain to fail. It can get really exciting and really dangerous amazingly fast.

Now if you are going to start your own chain lab, perhaps you could find a big tree and get your neighbor's dozer and have a pull off. not sure how to do that safely though,
other than in lab equipment purpose built. Bottom line is how strong is HF chain? I wonder if anyone has broken any of their chain.
For pulling stuff out of the woods, I think the cheaper chain might be fine, particularly if sized for the job. But for auto extrication or lifting, I'd be nervous as can be trusting
any Chinese product for reliably meeting international spec. Maybe that's unfair, and maligns many top quality companies, but after the sheetrock debacle and then the contaminated food, it was pretty clear to me that too many Chinese companies had a copy it, make it, throw it against the wall, and see what sticks operational plan. And grossly inadequate government oversight in areas we take for granted here.

And when the chain link severs and the next link embeds itself in the dozer's rear cab window, well, I was never here...
Not saying that all Chinese products are this way, but I have stress tested my HF chains and yes I would walk under any load suspended by it although they are not spec'd for that. I had this same 3/8" chain hooked to my LS P 7010 drawbar when it started hopping up and down surging the chain and finally broke the drawbar hitch attachment bracket. I know my 8600 pound tractor will put out at least that much in pulling power when all four tires are spinning. The chain was not even stretched. I also have a 5/16" HF chain that I have used to raise the front of my truck up using the LS FEL with my welded on hooks. It is spec'd to lift 3500 lbs and the front of my Chevy1500 crew cab 4x4 was as much as it could lift. So yes I trust those chains to be as good a quality as I need. I have seen a lot of steel used in high pressure piping come from China and had no problems with it. I think they use proper Quality Control when needed and some items don't get what we think is needed. Throw away items may or may not get the quality we want but are not willing to pay for it so we take what we get. What really PO's me is paying top dollar for brand name items and they don't last any better than the cheap stuff in many if not most instances. Likely they are made in the same factory that puts out the HF stuff with just a sticker change at the end of the production line. Is a Chinese made DeWalt any better than a HF Chinese made product. Might be a better warranty but maybe not that either.