Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,391  
Thank you so much for the offer!

I actually had broken down and bought the stake sides two days ago, before I saw your post, and I really appreciate the offer! I ended up using a 20% off coupon, so they weren't too bad. Did they seem to be about the same quality as the rest of the trailer? Thanks again, and I hope that you guys are having a great spring

I have the metal stake/sides kit (3 sides, tailgate missing) that came with this trailer. I'll sell it cheap, but I doubt cross country shipping is worth your trouble. I'll post a photo if anyone cares.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,392  
If you don't need the fenders you can remove them and replace the wheels with 12" ones. It'll help it roll over roots and rocks. Or if you know anyone with a golf cart who has some old wheels/ tires most of them are the same bolt pattern and are much wider to help keep from sinking into the mud (if you have any).

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck
#3,393  
One tool that definitely sucks is the 25 foot tape measure that they give away free with a coupon. I used one yesterday for the first time and it pulled out and that it was it - no recoil. I was replacing another one that did the same thing after just a few uses. I took it apart to see if there was a simple fix, but I realized that I had a couple new ones still on a shelf, so I tossed it in the garbage. :mad:

Last edited:
   / Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,394  
Thats great to know! Thanks for the info! THat may be a good option, since when I packed the hubs with grease, I put in too much, and the seals came out the back. I was able to put them back, but not sure if they will hold. I do plan on using this maining in the woods, to collect firewood that I have cut, so that would work out great.

If you don't need the fenders you can remove them and replace the wheels with 12" ones. It'll help it roll over roots and rocks. Or if you know anyone with a golf cart who has some old wheels/ tires most of them are the same bolt pattern and are much wider to help keep from sinking into the mud (if you have any).

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,395  
when I packed the hubs with grease, I put in too much, and the seals came out the back. I was able to put them back, but not sure if they will hold.
With no brakes, the grease seals aren't very important. Of course its better to keep water out but flinging grease is harmless.

The bolt pattern is 'standard US boat trailer 4-lug' so many alternate wheels should fit. I think Vega or some other early US subcompact also had 13 inch tires on that bolt pattern. But side clearance may be an issue for any oversize tire.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,396  
... stake sides ... seem to be about the same quality as the rest of the trailer?
Let's say the sides look to be sufficient quality to use on an ultralight trailer.

P1650286rHF40x48Trailer.jpg

I wanted higher higher, dust-resistant sides for that other 'jeep trailer' in a prior post so I ripped a sheet of 1/4" plywood to something like 22" / 26". This made sides that rested on the deck, and a front panel that bolted to the front face of the chassis for rigidity. Four aluminum channels bolted outside the chassis held the front/back edges of the side panels. That little trailer is so light that I can lift the back and move it sideways carrying the usual lightweight folding chairs, sleeping bags, etc on a camping trip. (And this is sometimes necessary because these ultra-short-wheelbase trailers are hard to back up, and hard to see looking back from an SUV because they are so narrow).

Last edited:
   / Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,397  
Another use for trailer:

ATT1.jpg