Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,401  
Thats good to know about the quality! It looks like they are galvanized? I found a jeep forum that has an 11 page thread with many different photos of the same trailer all towed by jeeps! Yours looks great! How does it tow?
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/...ype-trailer-ultimate-build-up-thread-1180456/
Let's say the sides look to be sufficient quality to use on an ultralight trailer.

View attachment 316409

I wanted higher higher, dust-resistant sides for that other 'jeep trailer' in a prior post so I ripped a sheet of 1/4" plywood to something like 22" / 26". This made sides that rested on the deck, and a front panel that bolted to the front face of the chassis for rigidity. Four aluminum channels bolted outside the chassis held the front/back edges of the side panels. That little trailer is so light that I can lift the back and move it sideways carrying the usual lightweight folding chairs, sleeping bags, etc on a camping trip. (And this is sometimes necessary because these ultra-short-wheelbase trailers are hard to back up, and hard to see looking back from an SUV because they are so narrow).

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,402  
Thats a pretty cool idea! Kind of ironic that part of the trailer for feeding calfs is made from a milk crate:) We actually have a stack of the same milk crates, and we use them for firewood, storage, and a seat when working on the tractor, and they make good saw horses..
Another use for trailer:

View attachment 316671

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,403  
Thats good to know about the quality! It looks like [the HF sides] are galvanized? I found a jeep forum that has an 11 page thread with many different photos of the same trailer all towed by jeeps! Yours looks great! How does it tow?
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/...ype-trailer-ultimate-build-up-thread-1180456/
Yes, galvanized.

The little 40x48 trailer was unnoticeable behind that Trooper (1998 photo) or the Subaru Outback that later replaced it.

The secret to smooth highway towing was to look at a tire pressure chart and run 26-28 psi, which is more than enough for my camping gear. From memory I think 28 psi gave me 500 lbs cargo capacity. Minor sidewall flex prevents bounce, same as a car. For the farm trailer carrying the IBC tote I'm running the 60 psi labelled on the sidewalls despite that the wheels are stamped '1984' and the sidewalls have weather cracks. I thought the old tires would burst under such overload but so far, no problem. I have the clean trailer's tires and spare available as replacements if needed.

The only issue towing the 40x48 trailer is its so narrow you can't back it looking in your side mirrors - it is badly out of line before it comes into view in the mirror. And for an SUV it's too low to see in the rearview mirror. That's why I have that red broomhandle sticking up in the offroad photo, so I can see where my trailer is.

You might think 8 inch tires are too small for offroad use but they are so close together that they go over the same obstacle at the same time. And dragging the axle in dirt wouldn't hurt anything with such a light load. Worst case, walk back and simply lift the trailer over the projecting stump etc while your wife drives the tow vehicle. I never had to do that but a couple of times I steered to drive one of the trailer's wheels over the highest point. I don't think there is a need to upgrade to taller tires.

I'm going to go look at that jeep forum. Thanks!

Edit:If someone is thinking about buying a small trailer here are some photos I first posted on TBN in 2006: 1)Illustrates ground clearance. 2)Just right for fetching the yard-sale welder I just bought. 3)A 4x8 trailer from Home Depot or Tractor Supply is also within the towing capacity (2000 lbs) of a small tow vehicle.

63721d1162181336-hf-trailer-dscn1296r40x48trailer.jpg

34734d1110327824-fuel-efficient-vehicles-reasonably-safe-600595-cars-trailerimg_3004.jpg

63722d1162182031-hf-trailer-dscn3332rsub-trailerinorchard.jpg

Last edited:
   / Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,406  
I found a jeep forum ... many different photos of the same trailer all towed by jeeps!
Wow! Thanks for pointing that out. It's up to 480+ posts. Lots of creative work shown.

In my opinion - many of them are overbuilding what is basically a lightweight and frankly cheap trailer. Everybody wants ground clearance; in my experience it's easier to just lift the trailer by hand over the very rare obstacles you can't aim a tire over. The 4.80-12 tire version of the HF trailer is obviously better than the 4.80-8 tire model but buying a new axle to go bigger than that seems wasteful. At some point just buying a custom jeep trailer would be the better alternative.

On mine the sides are 1/4" plywood prevented from spreading simply by resting against the fenders. Likewise my side stakes are bolted outside the chassis instead of using the stake pockets. This gives me about 10% more interior space than everybody on that site who used 1x4 stakes then put 1x4 rails inside those stakes. Then a tarp liner inside that. Seems to me they wasted scarce cargo capacity using that design. You don't need cattle-pen strength, only something comparable to an enclosed cartop carrier.

Also the wider replacement straight axles I see there don't improve ground clearance as much as a torsion replacement axle would. I replaced one under a tent trailer and it wasn't expensive. I would definitely consider it if I wanted ground clearance, I think getting the torsion 'axle' up off the ground and snug against the frame is more valuable than taller tires.

To summarize - the HF 40 x 48 trailers with 8" tires have worked well for me, the first one for offroad 4x4 camping and the second one standing up to bad abuse with a 2500 lb watering tank bolted on it.

If I were setting up an offroad jeep trailer I would buy the 12" tire version but not customize it beyond 1/4" plywood walls and a spare tire mount. Keep it light!

PIC00516ClaimDriveway99.jpg

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,407  
Often is it cheaper to use a 20% off coupon with the sale price,

didn't use to be but HF is changing their discounting, uh, of course to less...., and now those coupons
have minimum order size built in. And absolutely yes to adding a discount coupon to a "sale price" instead of just using the "final price" coupon. They really are tricky about this.

Just a reminder, look in the back of car and boat magazines, the coupons are better there. Really ,and I don't know why.
Is the Inside Track worth it? Do you get flooded with junk email because of it?
I really don't want daily reminders to go buy those cheap flashlights....:)

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,408  
I found ITC worthwhile for a single year - but I didn't renew because in that year I mostly completed my tool collection.

Basically its another set of discount coupons at slightly better discount, but it may take months for an ITC coupon to appear for something you definitely intended to buy someday.

Recommended if you are building up a tool collection or employ a crew that loses tools. Otherwise one year of ITC is enough.

Ask the cashier to show you the version of the monthly flyer that has additional ITC pages.

Last edited:
   / Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,409  
I agree, I have the ITC as well, and it was $30, and they sent me a $10 gift card. It was tough to spend the $20, but I have already "saved" that much. They send one set of extra ITC coupons a week to your email, but you can opt out of those emails. I have been building up my tools, that I have never had, and I probably won't continue it after a year either. The problem that I have, is I get the coupons, and it is hard to turn the deals down, or not extra small items to my order. Their marketing works, but have also benefited, because I am getting tools that I always needed for very inexpensive. I know that the quality is not always there, but honestly, I have a very hard time shopping anywhere and buying anything that is not made in China, or that has good quality control. Even most big name tool manufactures, and companies have products produced in China with their label slapped on.

So far I have been extremely happy with mostly all of the items I have bought, and the only real problem that I have is my wife complaining about "another box from Harbor Freight":) You can see the coupons on their website that you have access to as an ITC member: http://images.harborfreight.com/hftweb/insidetrack/images/7114a.pdf

It is a really great feeling to be able to go to the shelf, and get the tool that I need for what ever I am working on..

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,410  
I agree with the idea of why buy the HF trailer and then modify it to get all sorts of clearance. Just build from scratch it that's your intention. I have a friend who does that for Land Rovers. Makes the trailer out of Aluminum and uses a modified solid axle design that keeps the cross tube right up tight to the trailer frame with coil springs/ shocks from a motorcycle.