Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,411  
Glad that it was good reading! I agree about the overbuilds, and I was actually very surprised that some of the people put full size jeep tires on the trailers. That was a great link for the axel, and that would be a great place to price an axel to build a trailer, or replace a broken/rusted axel. That is an impressive side set up that you built for yours! I received my stake bed sides today but not until after I spoke with the Harbor Freight Customer Service in India for 20 minutes. They were terrible! I could barley hear them, and there was an echo that reminded me of some of my overseas calls from third world countries in the military. The girl just sat there, and would not answer me, and when I asked the status of my order, she said that they sent me a 7hp engine instead, and that I would have to send it back, wait for a refund, and re-purchase the item again. Then about an hour later, the correct part arrived at my door? Oh-well, I am happy that I got it. The sides are painted red, unlike the galvanized one that you have. I think that the galvanized ones were the way to go, and they probably should have galvanized the whole trailer. I'll post some photos when I have it compleatly togeather, but I was ble to attach the floor board, and I painted it with Rustoleum Restore. It took an entire gallon for the 3X4 deck, but it is hard like armor. I made the mistake of not getting it tinted, and I am going to paint the top. On a side note, one of the best buys that I have made this year, was the 3/8 click torque wrench that I bought for $10. It came with a hard case, and it has saved me already, since I had made the expensive mistake of overtightened my lug nuts on my tractor rim, and I cracked the rim costing me quite a bit to replace the two front rims, and have them re-filled. The wrench works great! 3/8" Drive Click Type Torque Wrench
Wow! Thanks for pointing that out. It's up to 480+ posts. Lots of creative work shown.

In my opinion - many of them are overbuilding what is basically a lightweight and frankly cheap trailer. Everybody wants ground clearance; in my experience it's easier to just lift the trailer by hand over the very rare obstacles you can't aim a tire over. The 4.80-12 tire version of the HF trailer is obviously better than the 4.80-8 tire model but buying a new axle to go bigger than that seems wasteful. At some point just buying a custom jeep trailer would be the better alternative.

On mine the sides are 1/4" plywood prevented from spreading simply by resting against the fenders. Likewise my side stakes are bolted outside the chassis instead of using the stake pockets. This gives me about 10% more interior space than everybody on that site who used 1x4 stakes then put 1x4 rails inside those stakes. Then a tarp liner inside that. Seems to me they wasted scarce cargo capacity using that design. You don't need cattle-pen strength, only something comparable to an enclosed cartop carrier.

Also the wider replacement straight axles I see there don't improve ground clearance as much as a torsion replacement axle would. I replaced one under a tent trailer and it wasn't expensive. I would definitely consider it if I wanted ground clearance, I think getting the torsion 'axle' up off the ground and snug against the frame is more valuable than taller tires.

To summarize - the HF 40 x 48 trailers with 8" tires have worked well for me, the first one for offroad 4x4 camping and the second one standing up to bad abuse with a 2500 lb watering tank bolted on it.

If I were setting up an offroad jeep trailer I would buy the 12" tire version but not customize it beyond 1/4" plywood walls and a spare tire mount. Keep it light!

View attachment 316887

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,412  
I have the heavy duty 4.5inch angle grinder. It has worked ok for a few projects.

The reciprocating saw ( it's the cheapest one) works fine so far, but the HF blades are terrible and wear out immediately. I bought some at Lowes and they are much better.

The handheld metal detector is highly regarded- for the price- as a pinpointer by metal detector enthusiasts. Mine works great.

I have a set of large sockets that have been fine through heavy use, as has a breaker bar.

The digital caliper was a steal on sale, and returns to zero every time. One tenth the price of the good ones, but more than one tenth of the quality for casual users.

Like others, I buy cheap hand tools and stash them around the farm. None have failed yet.

I have a 4 inch bench vice that has been rock solid.

I have a smaller torque wrench. I am confused about exactly how to adjust it, and I don't know if the settings are correct, but it does take varying levels of pressure to make it click depending on how it is set. I don't use it often.

The worst thing I bought was snap ring pliers. They haven't broken, but they are humorously low-quality.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,413  
I agree, I have the ITC as well,................. You can see the coupons on their website that you have access to as an ITC member: http://images.harborfreight.com/hftweb/insidetrack/images/7114a.pdf

It is a really great feeling to be able to go to the shelf, and get the tool that I need for what ever I am working on..

I went to that link and clicked on the tricycle. ITC price was $44.99. The price in another non-ITC ad had it for $49.99. That's not much of a savings.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,414  
I went to that link and clicked on the tricycle. ITC price was $44.99. The price in another non-ITC ad had it for $49.99. That's not much of a savings.
ITC coupon prices are generally only a little lower than non-ITC coupons. The chief attraction is getting a broader variety of coupons every month.

I saw a couple of things in that list that would recover the cost of ITC membership immediately. Example: the 48" aluminum pipe wrench for $65, regular price $90. I don't recall ever seeing that item discounted before.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,415  
I agree, but when you buy multiple items, the savings added together along with the items that are not normally on sale like "California" said will easily pay for your membership and save you quite a bit. I waited a long time before I bought the membership. I had been watching the ITC ads, and I saw multiple items that I needed one month, and with the gift card, and what I saved, it paid for itself in one order.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,417  
That looks like a great cart! I have been wanting to order the two shelf basic version for quite some time, and I may now that it is on sale. http://www.harborfreight.com/16-inch-x-30-inch-steel-service-cart-5107.html I really need a tool cabinet, and one of these days I will break down and buy one, but they are pretty expensive. Is yours made out of heavy duty steel?

I bought this a year ago for work. For the price,you can't beat it.
Very durable so far.

Rolling Tool Cart w/ 5 Drawers

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,418  
The "local" store takes the ITC coupons without asking for your membership. I say local but it's 3 hours away so I don't go very often.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,419  
how about the four drawer black rollaround toolbox? $110 through May with coupon code, and most of the reviews are favorable.

image_20251.jpg

crazyal I wish the stores around here would take ITC coupons without asking that you prove membership. In the year I subscribed I was required to have my ITC card scanned every single time. Even by the lady who sold me the ITC card.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,420  
That looks like a great cart! I have been wanting to order the two shelf basic version for quite some time, and I may now that it is on sale. Steel Service Cart - 16" x 30" I really need a tool cabinet, and one of these days I will break down and buy one, but they are pretty expensive. Is yours made out of heavy duty steel?

I used to know what guage it was but forgot. It is sturdy,though. You won't be dissapointed.
When I bought the cart last year I bundled a few coupons with the special they were running at the time. I got it for $129.00.