Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,482  
Often is it cheaper to use a 20% off coupon with the sale price,

didn't use to be but HF is changing their discounting, uh, of course to less...., and now those coupons
have minimum order size built in. And absolutely yes to adding a discount coupon to a "sale price" instead of just using the "final price" coupon. They really are tricky about this.

Just a reminder, look in the back of car and boat magazines, the coupons are better there. Really ,and I don't know why.
Is the Inside Track worth it? Do you get flooded with junk email because of it?
I really don't want daily reminders to go buy those cheap flashlights....:)

I joined a few years back, and I did not rejoin because I didn't find much advantage to it.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,483  
I have the heavy duty 4.5inch angle grinder. It has worked ok for a few projects.

The reciprocating saw ( it's the cheapest one) works fine so far, but the HF blades are terrible and wear out immediately. I bought some at Lowes and they are much better.

The handheld metal detector is highly regarded- for the price- as a pinpointer by metal detector enthusiasts. Mine works great.

I have a set of large sockets that have been fine through heavy use, as has a breaker bar.

The digital caliper was a steal on sale, and returns to zero every time. One tenth the price of the good ones, but more than one tenth of the quality for casual users.

Like others, I buy cheap hand tools and stash them around the farm. None have failed yet.

I have a 4 inch bench vice that has been rock solid.

I have a smaller torque wrench. I am confused about exactly how to adjust it, and I don't know if the settings are correct, but it does take varying levels of pressure to make it click depending on how it is set. I don't use it often.

The worst thing I bought was snap ring pliers. They haven't broken, but they are humorously low-quality.

I bought the largest snap ring pliers set they had (largest physical size) for my Kubota axle seal project. They were a steal, and are very stout, and they lock in position. I had to grind down two tips, since the tips are quite large.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,484  
Is the Inside Track worth it? Do you get flooded with junk email because of it?
If you are already getting the email coupons, ITC is a second batch of weekly coupons with slightly better prices. The monthly 24 page Sale Catalog has additional pages with unique and better-priced ITC coupons.

For someone gradually accumulating a broad set of tools, or running a shop or school that goes through tools and needs replacements, it is worthwhile. On the other hand, if your annual tool budget is minimal then ITC will just lead you off into temptation to buy stuff you don't need. :D Anybody want to buy my HF self-levelling laser level? I decided its not as handy as a traditional optical builder's level so its going into the next yard sale.

I wasn't going to renew my ITC but ... a month ago I bought a $20 tool the day I needed it and didn't have a 20% coupon. A week later I saw the same item in the ITC ads posted in the store, for $5 less. I said I would join ITC if they would adjust my prior purchase down to this ITC price. They agreed. Now I need to find an additional $15 ITC savings in the coming year to break even.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,485  
We're rural enough but have a PO Box for our regular mail, no mailbox delivery in front of our house. Now get this - my latest battle with the PO - FedEx drops my shipment at the PO with my street address, PO sends it out for delivery but I have a PO Box and no mail at my house. So the PO send it back to the main PO as undeliverable, which repeats the process, sometimes more than once. All this while I watch the FedEx tracking # bounce the shipment around. When I inquire at the PO (as this type of activity has happened many times delaying shipment a few days and requiring me to drive to the PO to pick them up), the response at the PO was to ADD a 3rd address with their street address and my PO box #. So basically they want me to have a 3rd address. Yeah, that won't add to the confusion, yeah right! Since this reciprocal agreement, I never know which address to use to get my packages, very frustrating.

Different Country, different rules, but here everything sent by courier must be addressed and delivered to a physical address. We deliver to that address whether they are one of our a Rural Delivery customer or not. We usually leave at the door if no-one at home and usually sign for "signature required" (except passports and Registered items) Most customers have given us authority to sign on their behalf.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,486  
I agree. Stay away form the Poulan products, especially chain saws.
Can't say I disagree with this--I bought a cheep Poulan chain saw a few years ago, and I had to go to a local small engine repair shop to find a gas cap for it. You'd think they'd make sure all the parts are in/on it before shipping it...

If you do buy Poulan, though, buy extra ignition coils. Apparently, they're notorious for failing quickly.

As for HF stuff that works, I have a farm/implement jack (the "walker" type that looks like an old bumper jack) that works well as long as you spray its mechanism liberally with PB Blaster every so often. If you don't, it tries its damnedest to break your hand, or the headlight on your tractor, though it doesn't actually drop the load. On the plus side, I don't care so much about leaving it out in the elements under an implement. :D

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,487  
Poulan has marketed to the low end for a long time, but at least it was US. Like MTD, right?...
Now I question where a Poulan saw is made. New emission laws have required redesigning most small engines
and I wonder if Poulan has made the jump. Who cares if it doesn't sell in California if you can sell a million of them
in Mexico.

Poulan was always a brand name. Just never a particularly good one. More importantly is value, do you get enough for what you
didn't pay for? Poulan probably fares better in that regard.

Just curious to see their products show up on a HF flyer, way in the back.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,488  
Can't say I disagree with this--I bought a cheep Poulan chain saw a few years ago, and I had to go to a local small engine repair shop to find a gas cap for it. You'd think they'd make sure all the parts are in/on it before shipping it...

If you do buy Poulan, though, buy extra ignition coils. Apparently, they're notorious for failing quickly.

As for HF stuff that works, I have a farm/implement jack (the "walker" type that looks like an old bumper jack) that works well as long as you spray its mechanism liberally with PB Blaster every so often. If you don't, it tries its damnedest to break your hand, or the headlight on your tractor, though it doesn't actually drop the load. On the plus side, I don't care so much about leaving it out in the elements under an implement. :D
Have a Poulan Pro chainsaw that has worked flawlessly being abused for 9 years now.. only $175 for a 42cc 18" in 2004.. Same coil, spark plug, filter, etc.. only bought a longer 20" bar and chain..

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,489  
how about the four drawer black rollaround toolbox? $110 through May with coupon code, and most of the reviews are favorable.

image_20251.jpg
I bought one of those a few months ago and I'm quite happy with it. Went together just fine and plenty sturdy enough.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,490  
I previously gave this MIG welding card an "OK" rating when bought on sale with a coupon, and would like to take it down just a notch. Problem is, the front wheels are absolute junk and replacements in that bolt pattern are unavailable. So, you have to get different wheels and drill a few holes to make it work right. Then it's good to go.

Better yet, buy the replacement wheels from the get-go and never even use the ons that come with the machine. It's easier to install before assembly. My wheel bearings fell out (huh?) as I rolled it across the floor.

MIG - Flux Welding Cart & Other Welding Carts