Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,491  
As for HF stuff that works, I have a farm/implement jack (the "walker" type that looks like an old bumper jack) that works well as long as you spray its mechanism liberally with PB Blaster every so often. If you don't, it tries its damnedest to break your hand, or the headlight on your tractor, though it doesn't actually drop the load.
I have two of the original US ones, 'Hi-Lift' brand. I keep them oiled but that isn't sufficient to assure safe operation. These WILL fall (and also kick the jack outward) while lowering a heavy load, possibly as soon as the first click downward. Use with extreme caution!

The problem is that only spring tension is used to push the pin into the next hole. If the pin binds and doesn't engage the hole, then moving the handle disengages the other pin at the same time. Crunch, down it goes in an instant.

Last time I used my Hi-Lift jack, it fell. I used it to lift my rotary mower up to standing on one edge for washing and it fell in the first 1/3 coming down. Long ago I had learned to be afraid of these and was standing at a safe distance. I don't use it very often, too many scary experiences. I hope HF's version is safer than the originals.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,492  
I have two of the original US ones, 'Hi-Lift' brand. I keep them oiled but that isn't sufficient to assure safe operation. These WILL fall (and also kick the jack outward) while lowering a heavy load, possibly as soon as the first click downward. Use with extreme caution!

The problem is that only spring tension is used to push the pin into the next hole. If the pin binds and doesn't engage the hole, then moving the handle disengages the other pin at the same time. Crunch, down it goes in an instant.

Last time I used my Hi-Lift jack, it fell. I used it to lift my rotary mower up to standing on one edge for washing and it fell in the first 1/3 coming down. Long ago I had learned to be afraid of these and was standing at a safe distance. I don't use it very often, too many scary experiences. I hope HF's version is safer than the originals.

that's scary to hear. Those of us who paid more for the US made one, for almost double the price, one would think a simple design improvement could improve such a basic device.

belt and suspenders, avoid single points of failure, when you can.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,493  
Have a Poulan Pro chainsaw that has worked flawlessly being abused for 9 years now.. only $175 for a 42cc 18" in 2004.. Same coil, spark plug, filter, etc.. only bought a longer 20" bar and chain..
My saw quit working after a couple of years (IIRC, I bought it in '07-ish), and my Poulan Pro leaf blower quit after two seasons and about 30 seconds--I actually found out about their problematic coils because I was trying to figure out why an engine that was getting fuel, air, and (apparently) spark wouldn't run. I do have a Poulan Pro pole saw that still works, although it has getting a bit fussy lately...

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,494  
I know of a guy that had his jaw smashed in multiple places with one of those jacks. Long ago I learned of the danger of using them and to be extra careful with them.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,495  
I know of a guy that had his jaw smashed in multiple places with one of those jacks. Long ago I learned of the danger of using them and to be extra careful with them.
I had the cheep one smack the back of my hand once when lifting (the upper pin didn't catch, and it fell back on the lower pin, and I had my off-hand pressing against the upright); nothing was really hurt but my pride, but it taught me a valuable lesson about being careful with that jack--and making sure that the pins get seated before you let go of the handle. I greatly prefer my ancient US-made implement jack (no brand, but it's older than I am), but it has a heavy steel plate welded to its base, so the cheep Chicom jack is more handy.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,497  
edit: double post..

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,498  
When I am on their website catalog, I can't read any of the Customer Reviews. Does anyone else have this problem?

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,499  
Nope.. Are you clicking the Review tab or the link?

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,500  
When I am on their website catalog, I can't read any of the Customer Reviews. Does anyone else have this problem?

In Chrome, the reviews are scrambled for me. Internet Explorer and Firefox seem to display them fine.