Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,691  
Im going to recomend this cut off wheel model
120 Volt 3 in. High Speed Cut-Off Tool
And the current price of 19.99 is a good one I paid closer to 39 I think.But it works as it should Two things to keep in mind,and advantage is its electric.(I used to have to wait for my air one to regain volume) Next it has a an overload cut out.(learned the hard way)I thought it was dead almost the first time using it. But set the rest and away it went.
You need to be sure to go slow and easy with it ,its actually doing allot of work..
So, what would you use this for that you wouldn't use an angle grinder?

Aaron Z

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,692  
aczlan said:

Aaron Z

I have the air version, and I use it for slicing through metal. It works much faster than a grinder because the blade is thinner and you aren't taking off as much metal. Since I got my chop saw I don't use the cut off tool as much, so I haven't purchased the electric one.

Think of it as the difference between a chop saw and a bench grinder, only in hand held versions.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,693  
I noticed my local newspaper's Sunday magazine insert has 25% off HF coupon and bargains page, but my co-op electric and Reader's Digest my wife takes all still have the 20% off coupons and pages. It doesn't matter because I seem to always forget to take a coupon with me when I'm going to HF.

Early September we got 2 copies of AARP that had the 25% off coupon. I used one then photographed the second one on my Samsung Galaxy Note 8, the coupon expiration is January. I have since gone in 4 times and just shown them the picture on my note 8, and they copy the number down. Before that I've gone in with ONLY the coupon number and rec'd the discount.

I recently rec'd another 25% off coupon good till 2/18/14 from www.valpak.com, you can get the same coupon there. Plus coupons for their freebees.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,694  
I have the air version, and I use it for slicing through metal. It works much faster than a grinder because the blade is thinner and you aren't taking off as much metal. Since I got my chop saw I don't use the cut off tool as much, so I haven't purchased the electric one.
Think of it as the difference between a chop saw and a bench grinder, only in hand held versions.
I have thin blades for my angle grinder that I use when slicing (vs grinding with thick ones) so there wouldn't be any real advantage in my case then.

Aaron Z

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,695  
I have two of the 25% coupons, and they dont normally keep the coupon, because its on a larger sheet of HF coupons. Keep one in wallet and one in lunch box just in case. I always feel a bit funny using 25% off on a $5 item, but I do anyways.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,696  
I recomend the 1/2 in ch earthquake gun. Have owned one for years. Can be found with a coupon for as low as $65. I have actaully tested its torque in lab conditions and it actaully does what they say it will in terms of torque at a given CFM.
While I would love an Ingersol, I take this one four wheeling and it gets completely abused. I would be hesitant to take a $600 IR gun on the trail, where it could be stolen, lost or damaged. But a $65 gun? No brainer.

As an aside When we took the gun apart it had an IR stamp on the anvil and hammers.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,697  
Well...I can tell you that the HF ratchets DO suck. I bought an extra set of wrenches / ratchets to have around the garage. About an hour ago, while tightening the last bolt on the frame mounted master cylinder on my Studebaker, I had the locking ball that holds the sockets on the ratchet fail. I now have an inch and a half long gash in my forehead from the ratchet.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,698  
Ouch! Sorry about that RD, hate when that happens and you really clonked yourself.
Hope it heals soon.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,699  
daugen said:
Ouch! Sorry about that RD, hate when that happens and you really clonked yourself.
Hope it heals soon.

+1 :( .

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,700  
Good question For one I use it with some plumbing. It cuts PVC and copper easily,The other day I received a load of used lumber with nails sticking out.I usually use a hammer and pry bar etc to pull the nails. But in this case I used the saw to cut the nails off.I also had a small part once tat I need to 'grind' a little bit off of anf it worked fine for that.Another use was to cut the race off of a wheel bearing hub.I needed some small pieces of metal cut so I used that also.The key here is its electric therefore I dont have to wait for the compressor to build up the volume to run it constantly also more portable.Oh I cut some rope with it also.plexi glass. I find I use it more now instead of the air cutter.But yes why this other than a grinder, maybe cause its able to get into smaller places..Its just a handy tool overall and for the cost it pays itself off quickly.

Aaron Z