Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,841  
Very happy with the 1/2" Drive 25" Breaker Bar.
Used it to break the lug nuts loose while fixing a leaking bead on our B2320's rear tire.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,842  
Very happy with the 1/2" Drive 25" Breaker Bar.
Used it to break the lug nuts loose while fixing a leaking bead on our B2320's rear tire.

2X for this, though I occasionally wish for the racheting version, I know that they aren't as hardy as this one.

Thomas

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,843  
Does anyone have #92623/60626/69474 Drillmaster 7" Variable Speed Polisher/Sander. Black friday its $29.99 and since thats list, I should be able to us my 25% off too. Would love to sand faster (painting my truck, and only have a blackndecker palm sander) and buff/polish last coat of color.

How about extended warranty? I dont really trust there power tools, how much does the warranty cost? Is it ever a good deal?

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,844  
Paul,
don't mean to be a wet blanket, but most add on warranties are super profitable to the issuers.
There is a saying in the insurance business that one should not insure what one can afford to replace without hardship.
If replacing a 30 dollar sander would be a hardship to you, and the cost of the warranty is small, then fine.
For some that's a 300 dollar saw. For others, a $3000 lathe. It's usually better to take the money you would have spent on warranty on items under a hundred bucks and then use the higher amount to buy better quality, if you can. Simply a better use of your money.

An extended warranty is really a type of insurance for unforeseen and undesired expenses.
And it is rarely good value to buy insurance on lower valued items. Which is why many of us carry 250, 500 or 1000 deductibles on our cars, boats, combines, whatever. Besides, you put in a couple of nickle dime claims and get nonrenewed, all of which is recorded in an industry database that most companies access during underwriting.

The only time I bought a warranty was for electronics I installed on my boat, like tvs, dvd players, etc. The boating environment is harsh, lots of vibration and shaking, so I could really imagine that ruining something.
And in thirteen years of owning that boat, which thank goodness I no longer own, not one piece of electronics broke.
So how smart was I?...

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,845  
As I thought Daugen. I've always been told to never buy warranties. I had heard HFs warranties where trouble free, but they warranty for first 30 days right? 30 days should be enough to find out if its broken.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck
#3,846  
.... 30 days should be enough to find out if its broken.
I try to use any HF tool aggressively when I first buy it. They seem to be either junk out of the box, or OK for extended use (all that being in relative terms :laughing:)

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,847  
Every time I've been pressured to buy an extended warranty on a car I pressure right back asking for a clear list of what is known to fail on this model. Blank stare. They didn't expect that. Ok, then lets talk to the shop service writer. He sees what comes in for factory warranty work. Surely there must be some parts that break down on this model, no? No? Then why an extended waranty? I've never bought one on anything but a couple of expensive electronics items where my reading reviews before purchase indicated it was a gamble with a high failure rate.

Consumer Reports says extended warranties are the profit component of many sales and never cost effective for the consumer.

However - I would include the cost of the longest warranty they offer if I bought an HF welder, and consider that to be its useful life. I've read that recently they abandoned after-sale parts support for these so they will be unsupported orphans after the exchange warranty expires. Does anyone have experience with this?

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,848  
Since HF sells products inexpensively, maybe their warranty rates are equally high value.
I don't want to broad brush this, they may be an exception. But unless that warranty cost/premium is less than ten percent
of the value of the item, and preferably 5, well, let's just say the actuaries are smiling all the way to the bank.

They sell this stuff counting on the "love factor". Oh what a beautiful new tv, I love it! I'll treat it to a warranty!
And I can say I've seen this with my own eyes because for five years I owned a retail electronics business in my home town and can confirm the expectations and understandings of the general public. We have been brainwashed for a long time on this. And the poor salesmen only make decent money if they get the spiffs from the warranties, so the store has them pitching warranties at every customer encounter. But since the store makes even a bigger profit from those warranties, well the crates of snake oil will always be out there.

But if you find nice fresh pressed olive oil in those crates, well, please do indulge...:D

btw...my seven store employees were salaried with benefits. No spiffs on anything.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck
#3,849  
Since HF sells products inexpensively, maybe their warranty rates are equally high value.
I don't want to broad brush this, they may be an exception. But unless that warranty cost/premium is less than ten percent
of the value of the item, and preferably 5, well, let's just say the actuaries are smiling all the way to the bank.
I bought a $25 hammer drill there the other day . They wanted to sell me an extended warranty for something like $10 or $15. I just kinda chuckled, took it home and pounded 30 holes through aged 4" concrete with lots of rocks. The smoke stayed inside, so it's a keeper.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,850  
I was in TSC and bought a small ceramic heater for $15 and the guy asked if I wanted to get the extended warranty for it for $3. I asked why? Did TSC not have faith in it lasting?