Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,851  
As I thought Daugen. I've always been told to never buy warranties. I had heard HFs warranties where trouble free, but they warranty for first 30 days right? 30 days should be enough to find out if its broken.

Their intial "purchaser's" warranty is for 90 days.

Return Policy

RETURN POLICY
If for any reason you are not satisfied with any item purchased, you may return the product within 90 days for a full refund or replacement, whichever you prefer. Shipping and handling are non-refundable.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,852  
I was in TSC and bought a small ceramic heater for $15 and the guy asked if I wanted to get the extended warranty for it for $3. I asked why? Did TSC not have faith in it lasting?

Hi Al,

You took the words right out of my mouth!

That's what I have said to them every time I'm asked to buy the warranty.

It's probably unfair though, unless it's a manager that you're talking to, because the employees are not on commission, and yet have to ask or get dinged by their managers.

Thomas

PS: Their air brush compressors are great, we have two of them running 24/7 to supply air for the aereators (sp) in our pond, and they typically run contimuously thrpugh summer and winter (and the seasons between) for about 2 years straight, IF they make it past the first 30 days.

We see about 1 in. 5 fail in the first 30 days, and the rest do great.
T

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,853  
Hi Al,

You took the words right out of my mouth!

That's what I have said to them every time I'm asked to buy the warranty.

It's probably unfair though, unless it's a manager that you're talking to, because the employees are not on commission, and yet have to ask or get dinged by their managers.

Thomas

Which is the sole reason I just say, no thanks, I am sure it will work just fine. The employees don't need harassment from customers.

Now, here is a story about my relationship with Harbor Freight. Even though I lived near their warehouse in Southern California, I might have gone there once, buying nothing.

Twenty five years later, Harbor Freight came to my neck of the woods in Southern Oregon. I don't remember why I decided to check out the store, but when I did; ugh, what a slap in the nose! The chemicals which were out gassing from who knows where, probably everywhere, were almost overwhelming; and enough to make me rub my eyes and leave while I could still breathe.

However, I have been satisfied with the ultrasonic cleaner, and: bicycle tree, firewood cart, 4" angle grinder, long handled metric combination wrench set, 3 ton jack stands, bar clamps, and some other trivial things. Such as: angle grinder accessories, especially the flap disc sanders and flash lights.

Here's the bottom line when it comes to shopping at HF. If I really need something which I cannot purchase locally, at a reasonable price, and where the air is easier to breathe; I hold my nose and quickly dash in and out with my new tool, no browsing, cash in hand, looking for the shortest line. Exhale, and out the door.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,854  
Every time I've been pressured to buy an extended warranty on a car I pressure right back asking for a clear list of what is known to fail on this model. Blank stare. They didn't expect that. Ok, then lets talk to the shop service writer. He sees what comes in for factory warranty work. Surely there must be some parts that break down on this model, no? No? Then why an extended waranty? I've never bought one on anything but a couple of expensive electronics items where my reading reviews before purchase indicated it was a gamble with a high failure rate.

Consumer Reports says extended warranties are the profit component of many sales and never cost effective for the consumer.

However - I would include the cost of the longest warranty they offer if I bought an HF welder, and consider that to be its useful life. I've read that recently they abandoned after-sale parts support for these so they will be unsupported orphans after the exchange warranty expires. Does anyone have experience with this?
That said, I just had a salesman throw in a 6yr/75k mile comprehensive warranty on a used (2013) vehicle I just bought to sweeten the deal.. Free is good :)

And, I paid $59 to double the warranty on a laptop I bought for my grandson that included 'no fault'.. Even if he dropped it from 10 stories up, they would replace. I felt that was vital for a 12 y/o with a laptop :)

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,855  
That said, I just had a salesman throw in a 6yr/75k mile comprehensive warranty on a used (2013) vehicle I just bought to sweeten the deal.. Free is good :)

And, I paid $59 to double the warranty on a laptop I bought for my grandson that included 'no fault'.. Even if he dropped it from 10 stories up, they would replace. I felt that was vital for a 12 y/o with a laptop :)

Ditto spending $15 on a 3-year replace or repair "no matter how it gets broken, lost, stolen, or stops working" protection for our first tablet, a Galaxy Tab 7+, and which I wish I had had the option of buying for my work-paid-for, but personally owned Galaxy Tab 10.1, especiallyafter it fell face down onto a ceramic tile floor and shattered the glass. Costing $175 and 3+ weeks to get replaced, plus having to backup all the data because Samsung guaranteed that they would lose it all anyway.

I have often been considered to be more clumsy than seven 12 y/o's dancing with laptops, wearing mittens, on ice, and my wife is no better, and may be worse.

:dance1: :dance1: :dance1: :dance1: :dance1: :dance1: :dance1:

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,856  
Their intial "purchaser's" warranty is for 90 days.

Return Policy

RETURN POLICY
If for any reason you are not satisfied with any item purchased, you may return the product within 90 days for a full refund or replacement, whichever you prefer. Shipping and handling are non-refundable.

Let me add that you better have a receipt or you'll be whistling Dixie.

Twenty five years later, Harbor Freight came to my neck of the woods in Southern Oregon. I don't remember why I decided to check out the store, but when I did; ugh, what a slap in the nose! The chemicals which were out gassing from who knows where, probably everywhere, were almost overwhelming; and enough to make me rub my eyes and leave while I could still breathe.

A few years ago I bought a set of car floor mats from them. After I put them in the truck the smell was horrific but I figured it would dissipate in time. I was wrong. Not only did the smell not go away, the mats seemed to either shrink or actually evaporate as time went on. I finally trashed them on a particularly hot day in July.

Other than that, I have bought Harbor Freight stuff way back from the early days when they sold quality--but inexpensive--General Tool products. They haven't always been sellers of Chinese stuff.

Last edited:
   / Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,857  
Heads Up on HF 3-day Black Friday sale:

Just noticed that on my printed flyer that it says in very small, hard to read print "Percentage off coupons cannot be used in connection with products shown in this flyer."

The notice is located in the lower left corner of the first page.

The flyer I am referring to is the one that depicts the infrared thermometer for $19.83 as the first item.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,858  
Heads Up on HF 3-day Black Friday sale:

Just noticed that on my printed flyer that it says in very small, hard to read print "Percentage off coupons cannot be used in connection with products shown in this flyer."

The notice is located in the lower left corner of the first page.

The flyer I am referring to is the one that depicts the infrared thermometer for $19.83 as the first item.

Shoot, oh well

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck
#3,860