Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,861  
Let me add that you better have a receipt or you'll be whistling Dixie.

A few years ago I bought a set of car floor mats from them. After I put them in the truck the smell was horrific but I figured it would dissipate in time. I was wrong. Not only did the smell not go away, the mats seemed to either shrink or actually evaporate as time went on. I finally trashed them on a particularly hot day in July.

Other than that, I have bought Harbor Freight stuff way back from the early days when they sold quality--but inexpensive--General Tool products. They haven't always been sellers of Chinese stuff.

If we're talking about the same smell, and I think we are, it seems to cling especially to rubber. Someone in another group said it's caused by an insecticide used in an effort to prevent the spread of a Chinese insect. I've noticed the smell in goods purchased from other companies as well.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,862  
If we're talking about the same smell, and I think we are, it seems to cling especially to rubber. Someone in another group said it's caused by an insecticide used in an effort to prevent the spread of a Chinese insect. I've noticed the smell in goods purchased from other companies as well.

Whatever my smell was, it seemed the mats shrunk as they got older. The smell was especially bad in the summer and I still smell it when I go in the store.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,863  
Could be insecticide. But I recall that same smell from when I worked in a plant that molded custom size o-rings from sheets of raw rubber, pressing and cooking them in huge heated presses. All our rubber came from Akron.

At HF I assumed it was some kind of solvent leaching out of every rubber product in the place.

Last edited:
   / Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,864  
when I opened the box of my new welder, the smell knocked me back. I finally isolated it to a large rubber protective sheath over part of the wiring. Noxious and nasty. I haven't given it a wiff lately but hopefully its fully cured or dried out by now. Odorless would be nice...

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,865  
Paul,
don't mean to be a wet blanket, but most add on warranties are super profitable to the issuers.
There is a saying in the insurance business that one should not insure what one can afford to replace without hardship.
If replacing a 30 dollar sander would be a hardship to you, and the cost of the warranty is small, then fine.
For some that's a 300 dollar saw. For others, a $3000 lathe. It's usually better to take the money you would have spent on warranty on items under a hundred bucks and then use the higher amount to buy better quality, if you can. Simply a better use of your money.

An extended warranty is really a type of insurance for unforeseen and undesired expenses.
And it is rarely good value to buy insurance on lower valued items. Which is why many of us carry 250, 500 or 1000 deductibles on our cars, boats, combines, whatever. Besides, you put in a couple of nickle dime claims and get nonrenewed, all of which is recorded in an industry database that most companies access during underwriting.

The only time I bought a warranty was for electronics I installed on my boat, like tvs, dvd players, etc. The boating environment is harsh, lots of vibration and shaking, so I could really imagine that ruining something.
And in thirteen years of owning that boat, which thank goodness I no longer own, not one piece of electronics broke.
So how smart was I?...

Listen to this man, this is VERY good advice.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,866  
Listen to this man, this is VERY good advice.
I agree - put the money saved into higher quality, or a slush fund to cover the cost of fixing/replacing the occasional lemon.
If you sum up what you are not spending by passing on all the warrantees that cross your path over a 5 year period, it can add up to a very large amount of do-re-mi.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,867  
I never buy them (rarely buy much new) but I guess I was just leery of anything electronic from HF.

BTW I confirmed no coupons on top of black fri sat sunday sale

The 10" wheels and rim (#43612) appear good for $5.99, got them to build sons "cubmobile" for cub scouts. After they race them, I plan on stealing two wheels to put on an ancient air compressor which has hard 6" wheels that are crap in sand

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,868  
I never buy them (rarely buy much new) but I guess I was just leery of anything electronic from HF.

BTW I confirmed no coupons on top of black fri sat sunday sale

The 10" wheels and rim (#43612) appear good for $5.99, got them to build sons "cubmobile" for cub scouts. After they race them, I plan on stealing two wheels to put on an ancient air compressor which has hard 6" wheels that are crap in sand

Here are those wheels 10" Knobby Tire and I have not had good luck with them. They are often on sale for $3.99 . In fact, as soon as I see the hard rubber ones on sale, I'm swapping over.

They would be OK if you took them apart and put a better tube in but I don't want to do that. Mine went flat pretty quick so if your son only needed them for a while they might work.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,869  
sixdogs said:
Here are those wheels 10" Knobby Tire and I have not had good luck with them. They are often on sale for $3.99 . In fact, as soon as I see the hard rubber ones on sale, I'm swapping over.

They would be OK if you took them apart and put a better tube in but I don't want to do that. Mine went flat pretty quick so if your son only needed them for a while they might work.

The knobby tires work well on chicken tractors. They do tend to lose air. Fill with green slime to prevent this. It only takes a little.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,870  
Heads Up on HF 3-day Black Friday sale:

Just noticed that on my printed flyer that it says in very small, hard to read print "Percentage off coupons cannot be used in connection with products shown in this flyer."

The notice is located in the lower left corner of the first page.

The flyer I am referring to is the one that depicts the infrared thermometer for $19.83 as the first item.

I picked up one of those no contact thermometers at menards for 9 dollars. I was shocked, as I figured no one could beat harbor freight on cheap electro-gadgets!