Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,871  
5 ton Log Splitter

My Harbor Freight 5 ton electric wood splitter came in today and after an hour I was finished splitting my pile of wood. It split 38 of my 40 logs. In all fairness the two logs that it did not split were big and green. On some of the logs it would stop at the beginning then I would turn the log around and it would split easily.

This wood splitter gets a big thumbs up!!!

The hard wood logs are from Texas Post Oak trees.

The split time was between 3 and 15 seconds per split. Most of my logs were split in half and then each half split (total 3 splits per log - about a minute a log=4 split pieces)

I did make one quick modification - I quickly added a foot pedal to the handle so I would not have to bend down to hold the lever.

It's on sale for $279 and I used a 25% off coupon to get another $70 off. With shipping and tax about $230. I did see one in the store so it is not an online only item.

I had a tractor log splitter before but did not use it because the time it took to change implements I could split the wood by hand. This is the perfect solution and takes up a lot less space standing upright in a corner of the shed.

Attachments

• splitter1.jpg
    splitter1.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 272
  • splitter2.jpg
    splitter2.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 240
  • splitter3.jpg
    splitter3.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 262
   / Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,872  
Does anyone have #92623/60626/69474 Drillmaster 7" Variable Speed Polisher/Sander. Black friday its $29.99 and since thats list, I should be able to us my 25% off too. Would love to sand faster (painting my truck, and only have a blackndecker palm sander) and buff/polish last coat of color.?

Well, so far the good and the bad.

Good: works well, plenty of power, has multiple speeds

Bad: cant seem to find any high grit disks for it (400/600/800) and the 240 grit that comes with it is a very aggressive 240. It does seem to slowly speed up even when locked in "minimum" or "1st". The buffing bonnet doesnt seem to last real well.
I did Not buy the warranty, it was like $14 for one year, and $22 for two years, way too close to original purchase price to make it worth while.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,873  
The 10" wheels and rim (#43612) appear good for $5.99, got them to build sons "cubmobile" for cub scouts. After they race them, I plan on stealing two wheels to put on an ancient air compressor which has hard 6" wheels that are crap in sand

Well, he took first place in his age group (only 4 kids) but was probably the wrong wheel to use for that. Too knobby to race, and a tall, thin wheel would have been faster. And now son doesn't want to give up the wheels for my compressor, so I guess ill end up getting 2 more

The tires aren't soft, but they aren't nearly as firm as a wheel barrel tire, and I'm not sure how much PSI you can expect to put in them

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,874  
paulharvey said:
Well, he took first place in his age group (only 4 kids) but was probably the wrong wheel to use for that. Too knobby to race, and a tall, thin wheel would have been faster. And now son doesn't want to give up the wheels for my compressor, so I guess ill end up getting 2 more

The tires aren't soft, but they aren't nearly as firm as a wheel barrel tire, and I'm not sure how much PSI you can expect to put in them

30 psi

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,875  
Alright I'm going to add to this thread. This is my Chicago Electric 5 1/2 inch cordless circular saw. It is the only cordless tool I ever got from HF that ever lasted...still has the original battery and quick charger both work plus I have another battery from a long defunct cordless drill (I believe it was a 2 piece set) but its BEEN so long ago :)

IMAG0912.JPG IMAG0911.JPG

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,876  
And another HF tool that's worked out good for me is this 2inch capacity. 18 ga brad nailer/staple gun. The plastic case not so good locking latches broke off... so it sucks! ;)

IMAG0914.jpg

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,877  
And another HF tool that's worked out good for me is this 2inch capacity. 18 ga brad nailer/staple gun. The plastic case not so good locking latches broke off... so it sucks! ;)

View attachment 351684

My neighbor has one of these and absolutely mistreats every tool he owns. This brad nailer has worked flawlessly for him and outlived his ability to destroy things. He even had mud in it. How does that happen?

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,878  
The cheap Chinese factories seam to be able to make air tools that last. I can't remember ever having a bad air tool. I've had some that didn't get oiled or had moisture in them when they got put away and then not used for years but never had a "bad" one.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,879  
I can't remember ever having a bad air tool. I've had some that didn't get oiled or had moisture in them when they got put away and then not used for years but never had a "bad" one.
Wish I knew what happened to my HF air Needle Scaler - the big one. I took it out the other day and it won't go. I'm sure I oiled it before I put it away, 2 years ago. Anybody have advice on taking this thing apart?

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,880  
... Needle Scaler - the big one.... Anybody have advice on taking this thing apart?

Go to the linked tool on their website, click on the product manual tab on the far right, download the .pdf that has an exploded parts diagram.
That's one thing I really like about HF, they have manuals for a lot of their stuff and you can look at how something is put together before buying if you're in the market for it. Also helps for stuff you get off craigslist that's missing the original paperwork.