Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,921  
I just ordered an 8000lb cable winch puller. (Come along). I had a much smaller 1500lb version that I had from tractor supply, and it broke this summer after a hay truck became very stuck in front of our barn. They grabbed the winch before I could say anything, and the truck weighted close to 5 tons. You can imagine what happened, and what could have happened. I know the cable winch probably wont come close to that, but I really only need it for work around the farm. Does any one have one of these from HF? It was a great price @ about $21 after a 20% off coupon. I am hopeful that it holds up.

I am also looking at buying one of the 6.5hp predator engines to repower a Troy Bilt Horse. I have heard really good this about these engines and I have the smaller 3HP engine on my water pump, and a small generator. The old motor is an 8hp Briggs. I am just wondering if anyone has repowered anything with one of the motors, and hoe it turned out?

Thanks! And Ina side note, I bought two of the US flags that are sewn, and the are very well made and have survived high blizzard winds so far!

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,922  
I just ordered an 8000lb cable winch puller. (Come along). I had a much smaller 1500lb version that I had from tractor supply, and it broke this summer after a hay truck became very stuck in front of our barn. They grabbed the winch before I could say anything, and the truck weighted close to 5 tons. You can imagine what happened, and what could have happened. I know the cable winch probably wont come close to that, but I really only need it for work around the farm. Does any one have one of these from HF? It was a great price @ about $21 after a 20% off coupon. I am hopeful that it holds up.

I am also looking at buying one of the 6.5hp predator engines to repower a Troy Bilt Horse. I have heard really good this about these engines and I have the smaller 3HP engine on my water pump, and a small generator. The old motor is an 8hp Briggs. I am just wondering if anyone has repowered anything with one of the motors, and hoe it turned out?

Thanks! And Ina side note, I bought two of the US flags that are sewn, and the are very well made and have survived high blizzard winds so far!

I have re-powered an old monkey wards tiller with a 6.5hp predator. The first motor was no good out of the box as something was wrong with the valves, they did not close completely so it would not run but the second engine has run well without fail. So I give a thumbs up as long as the store is close enough that you can easily return the motor without too much trouble.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,923  
I bought a plate compactor for pouring a concrete floor in my shed. Added oil and fuel, it started on the first pull. I've ran it for at least an hour and works fine. With a 25% coupon I got it for around 400$ and tax. I looked into renting one .....well I'm in the wrong business.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck
#3,924  
I bought a plate compactor for pouring a concrete floor in my shed. Added oil and fuel, it started on the first pull. I've ran it for at least an hour and works fine. With a 25% coupon I got it for around 400$ and tax. I looked into renting one .....well I'm in the wrong business.
Plus you can sell it when you are done.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,925  
In the past I purchased knowing that the tools are of low quality. And if it breaks or did not work it had a 30 day return policy. Now they have a 20% restocking Fee (as they call it) for anything you return. Even if its dead out of the box!

Before this you knew they sold crap that it may or may not work but you could always return it. Not any more. Harbor Fright calls it a rental tax. I will be buying from Home Depot from now on. I'm boycotting Harbor Fright until they remove this policy. I hope you do also.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,926  
Welcome aboard therd3. Kinda surprised to hear this, is it a new policy? Many others here have written about "the second one" working fine.
Was it electrical equipment or something with a funny restriction? Any company that doesn't take something back that was DOA within the first 30 days
is pretty risky to do business with. I can see where they can say to get it fixed if it ran and then broke, but DOA? Full refund or exchange. Nothing less is acceptable unless it's a huge item with shipping issues.

I see a bigger problem in dissatisfaction with poor performance, and then try and take that concrete cutter back after you've used it for a couple of hours.
But again, I don't think your experience has been wide spread, certainly not if you read this entire thread. If this is a new policy, then this is a real take away.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,927  
In the past I purchased knowing that the tools are of low quality. And if it breaks or did not work it had a 30 day return policy. Now they have a 20% restocking Fee (as they call it) for anything you return. Even if its dead out of the box!

Before this you knew they sold crap that it may or may not work but you could always return it. Not any more. Harbor Fright calls it a rental tax. I will be buying from Home Depot from now on. I'm boycotting Harbor Fright until they remove this policy. I hope you do also.

No they dont.. I have returned DoA stuff, no problem. Called and had stuff missing resent, no problem. Replaced under warranty, no problem.

Now, if you went there way too many times just to buy something to use once and return, then ya, I can see them doing something like this - for you.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck
#3,928  
Welcome aboard therd3. Kinda surprised to hear this, is it a new policy? Many others here have written about "the second one" working fine...............

I'm curious, too. Each HF location seems to have its own interpretation of the rules. For example, some won't let you use a % off coupon on a sale item, some will. Some don't like photocopies of coupons, others don't care.

If I was charged a restocking fee on a DOA item, I'd introduce the manager to Mr. Grumpy. :laughing:

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,929  
if it breaks or did not work it had a 30 day return policy. Now they have a 20% restocking Fee (as they call it) for anything you return. Even if its dead out of the box!

Before this ... it may or may not work but you could always return it. Not any more. Harbor Fright calls it a rental tax.
Which store? That sounds like you have a renegade local store manager. Or else you made a real impression on him. :D

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3,930  
I am sure that HF like a lot of others have their share of those who buy a tool for a job, use it and bring it back for refund claiming its bad. Way cheaper than going to a tool rental. It's these guys that make it harder on honest people.