Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #4,031  
I always wondered how that predator engine works and last over the years. I have a Honda GX160 and it looks just the same as the predator, every time i get a ad, I look and think wow it looks the same as my Honda. I guess when mine stops working to run my Quincy pump on my wheel barrow air compressor I am gonna get one to replace it. My Honda has been going strong for 8 years now at about 600 hrs. per year.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #4,032  
Has anyone seen the ads for the 6.5HP engine from HF? I have three recent adds, all showing the 6.5HP engine with an electric key start. At first I thought it was an error, but then I looked close at the three new ads, and the engines all say 6.5 HP on the pull start cover. I may have to call them to confirm this. I am going to buy one either way for my Troybuilt tiller, but I was wondering if anyone has had any issues or owns one of these? Does anyone know if the Lilifan engines from Home Depot are better? Thanks!

Havent bopught one from HF, but got one at my local Bailey's for $99 and it works just fine so far..

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #4,033  
Regarding the Predator engines, I have a 13HP model that I purchased almost 2 years ago. I never started my project for that engine. So it sits in the shop. I start it periodically and it starts 1-2 pulls. I tested the electric start but mostly pull start it. Runs good.

I just purchased 2 2500 lb. wireless winches. Great price with coupons. I finally got the first installed on my trailer. Works great. Wireless makes it good to use. I did the cable pull yesterday running off my truck battery. Going to test the second winch today. I did not get a warranty. If this works out I may get a higher rated winch for the trailer. So far so good.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #4,034  
Hi,

I would, but unfortunately the Honda 6.5HP is roughly 4x more at $400, and the HF Predator is $80 with a 20% of coupon. I have a Predator 3.5 HP engine on my water pump that we use on our farm, and that engine runs great, and starts on the first pull every time, but I have not used the 6.5 Predator engine, and I was wondering is anyone had luck with them. If I had the extra $$ I would certainly buy a Honda, but these days, that really is not an option. Thanks.

Oh I see. It bothers me that they are copying Honda's work. But that's just me.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #4,035  
They are called Chonda's. What I have heard is that Honda wanted a cheap engine and could not manufacture it with their usual sources. So they went to China, started some line and it wasn't as successful as they hoped so they abandoned China. Problem is they gave them the plans for Honda engines, and as Copyright laws don't apply in China. they company continues to make them.

May be an urban legend. I have one of these I bought for a 1970's rototiller. Hated to give up the old Briggs but there comes a point. It has worked so far, probably has 2 hours on it total.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #4,036  
They are called Chonda's. What I have heard is that Honda wanted a cheap engine and could not manufacture it with their usual sources. So they went to China, started some line and it wasn't as successful as they hoped so they abandoned China. Problem is they gave them the plans for Honda engines, and as Copyright laws don't apply in China. they company continues to make them. May be an urban legend. I have one of these I bought for a 1970's rototiller. Hated to give up the old Briggs but there comes a point. It has worked so far, probably has 2 hours on it total.

Yes, urban legend.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #4,037  
Thanks everyone for the advice! Its certainly worth a try. As long as the holes line up, it should be work for what I need it too. The closest HF i have is about an hour away, so worst case, if the engine is bad, I can exchange it. Thanks agains for the replies!

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #4,038  
Did the mounting holes line up all right for you? I am mounting this on an early 1980's tiller,a nd I was not sure how much the specs have changed since then. Thanks.

They are called Chonda's. What I have heard is that Honda wanted a cheap engine and could not manufacture it with their usual sources. So they went to China, started some line and it wasn't as successful as they hoped so they abandoned China. Problem is they gave them the plans for Honda engines, and as Copyright laws don't apply in China. they company continues to make them.

May be an urban legend. I have one of these I bought for a 1970's rototiller. Hated to give up the old Briggs but there comes a point. It has worked so far, probably has 2 hours on it total.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #4,040  
Not quite. But only hole was a bit off and I was able to rig a piece of metal with a nut welded on in a different position. That was only one bolt. Pretty amazing how close it all was given 40 years. God did I just age myself