Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #471  
I'll have to take a ride to Attleboro. I need to get out more......:confused:

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #473  
I reread it and have no clue what could possibly be more useless as a description.

Hopefully the attached sketch will help.

In the sketch you see a rectangular frame with a pair of center braces. There is a hole for a bolt through those braces. The spacing between the dual braces is a friction fit for a 2x4 (about 1 1/2 inches.) The end of extension board sticking out of the crane's square tube has a hole in it where it is pinned by the bolt mentioned above.

The 60/40 balance is a guess. I wanted the material to not tilt the platform forward and fall off. It worked very well and when lifted until it contacted the ceiling joists I installed it pivoted to match the slope of the ceiling (about 2-3 in 12.) It would have worked just fine for dry wall but I used fiber cement for fire resistance as the space is a metal working shop with grinding and welding and some day maybe a small forge.

I'm not an artist (surprise surprise) so don't be bashful ask anything about the Rube Goldberg monstrosity and I will try to explain it.

Pat

Thanks, I think I got it now. I assume the sheet metal shown held on with drywall screws is to keep the sheet of whatever from sliding off the frame?
Thanks for the drawing, jp

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #474  
Anyone used the HF knockoff of the Fein Multimaster tool yet? I think it just came out as the Fein just came off patent protection. $59 vs over $300 makes it inticing but then again I keep reminding myself it's HF.

I have a Fein Multimaster, and was surprised to see a HF copy. Of course Fein has just upgraded theirs with a better/quicker attachment method. Good thing too, I have had trouble with the cast washers that hold attachments on breaking. But it is a fine tool (sorry, couldn't resist), and I can't imagine HF can come close on quality, although I do believe they have made improvements in the past few years, just not to the level of German craftsmanship.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #477  
Anyone used the HF knockoff of the Fein Multimaster tool yet? I think it just came out as the Fein just came off patent protection. $59 vs over $300 makes it inticing but then again I keep reminding myself it's HF.

my new cat shows it for $45 today am itching too.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #478  
my new cat shows it for $45 today am itching too.

I doubt anyone will beat that price but there is competition. Bosch, Rockwell, and Dremel have already got knockoffs on the market too. I'm kinda hoping that Fein sees the need to drop their price but the Rockwell is also pretty nice as a value point.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #480  

Thanks. That site also has useful reviews on the Rockwell and Fein. Unfortunately there are pros and cons for each so it doesn't make the choice easy. I'd get the Fein Q in a second if $$ was no issue though. I still think the Rockwell is a great bang for the buck but one has to wonder about how convenient it will be to get supplies. Home Depot carries the Dremel.