Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #492  
HF Tire Changer
Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

I was impressed yesterday. I've owned the above tire changer for a couple of years and used it several times with the motorcycle adapter changing motorcycle tires.
I'd ordered two 225/15 trailer tires from Tire Rack last week. Was figuring it would be a real pain to remove the old tires and mount the new ones. Wrong!
Could not believe how easy it was, saved a trip to a tire place and at least $20. Gotta give a thimbs up to Tire Rack too, got my tires in 2 days at way less than any local dealer, they even beat Sam's Club by a good amount. In fact I saved enough to have bought the tire changer if I didn't already have it.

Attachments

• 34542.gif
    34542.gif
    18.5 KB · Views: 178
   / Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #493  
Skyco,
Good to hear that the harbor freight one is good.I was wondering how it was for the price.
I purchased this one.. Torin Portable Tire Changer, Model# TRK26101 | Tire Changers | Northern Tool + Equipment
Probably 10 years ago plus, It cost over $100. at the time. But was well worth it.
I didnt have to re weld the nut inside the retainer cylinder, and reinforce the cut ring that sits on and drops the bead but I am happy overall.Also had to remove the pin that keeps the tire from moving around I now use a large bolt easier and alot faster

I was wondering how you found the tool tho for installing the new tire. I thought the ends were just too bulky , and I use the "spoons" instead.But the main advantage of these is that they can break the bead down.
With just the bead breakdown in mind I was wondering if anyone has used this one?
Looks like it should be more rugged to get the job done.
I so like the simple things that "get r done"
Sure beats trying to drive the tractor bucket edge onto th bead to break it.LOL .

OH BTW for under 200 miles per hour, bubble balancing tires is still fine (for me).

Last edited:
   / Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #494  
I have that tire changer also. I had to make a new 1/4" plate centering plate that the wheel rest on. Mine tore out. It gets used a lot and saved me big bucks. I have two daughters and they never seem to pay any attention to the tires on their cars until they're flat. My buddies sons are over changing out tire off they're cars and they're girlfriends cars. Anyways a fellow bound to get lucky and find a durable tool from HF sooner or later. bjr

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #495  
OH BTW for under 200 miles per hour, bubble balancing tires is still fine (for me).
When I was busting tires at Sears years ago.. I could do a better job with the bubble balancer than most guys in the shop could do with the spin balancer. Over the years I have had numerous shops with spin balancers that couldn't balance a tire to save their life. When my garage is done... I intend to get my own bubble balancer, I am getting tired of making multiple trips to tire shop to get it done right. Maybe it is time to start looking more seriously at the HF tire changer as well.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #496  
When did HF quit carrying any name brand products?? I bought an IR impact wrench from them in the past as well as some other quality name brand items. Because of that fact, I signed up for their coupons. When I got the 20% off anything in the store for the 3 days ending last month I thought I'd go get a deal on something. I was extremely disappointed to see that the HF near me now only carries the throw away junk stuff. :( The closest thing I saw to anything name brand was Slime for tires. After an hour of looking around I left with nothing and proceeded to 'unsubscribe' from their email coupons.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #497  
Mine is similair to this
But mine was hmm well thrown out(destroyed for write off) from a car dealer my dad worked at 35 years ago.When they introduced the big machine balancers. I have saved various weights over the years and a couple tire shops have given me handfulls of weights.Occasionally Ill get one that my daughter complains about. lol

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #498  
I agree the tire changer from HF is good. I have one and used it several times already. I even used it to fill my tractor tires with rimguard. The only thing i didn't like is the bubble balance that has tire sits on a cone. I need to change that to different bubble balancer tool. Does anyone have recommendations ?

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #499  
When I was busting tires at Sears years ago.. I could do a better job with the bubble balancer than most guys in the shop could do with the spin balancer...

While you can use both types on a tire, they balance different things. The bubble balance gets the first moment of inertia correct, the spin balance gets the second moment correct.

In use, the second moment is more important.

In general if the second moment is correct, the first moment will not be. You can not check one type of balancer against another and expect them to be the same.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #500  
Good to know. I understand your point.Curly I'm just not to particular knowing I'm saving money i guess And some tires I don't have to use any weights.Ive had a few times over 30 years that a couple just wouldn't seem to balance even close. so id use them on the rear where you don't notice as much shimmying.