Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #513  
I get sale flyers from an Oklahoma City wood working boutique and always get a chuckle at the things they are selling way below MSRP but still several dollars higher than HF for the same exact tool. Most of their stuff is high priced and some of it is high quality deserving of being sold in a boutique but when they have the same item (OK differnet color and name) it is amusing.

Pat

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #515  
I thought the guy in the video was a pretty good representation of the people I see in Horrible Freight. He should remove himself from the gene pool in short order. Did nobody else notice that he used no jack stands? Honestly, what sane person would risk their life to a cheap junk floor jack?? Since my local Horrible Freight store quit carrying any name brand items, I'll just have leave the store to Darwin Award candidates like the guy in the video.

I must be old I seem to remember when we risked our lives changing a tire with a bumper jack. A floor jack seems a whole lot safer to me. Since I did not see the guy under the car and it was a temporary period of time without the tire on it, I might not have used a jack stand either. To be honest I bet there are a lot of people on this site who do not use them every time they jack up a car.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #516  
I must be old I seem to remember when we risked our lives changing a tire with a bumper jack. A floor jack seems a whole lot safer to me. Since I did not see the guy under the car and it was a temporary period of time without the tire on it, I might not have used a jack stand either. To be honest I bet there are a lot of people on this site who do not use them every time they jack up a car.

I have to admit - unless I'm doing more than just changing or rotating the tire, I almost never use a jack stand.

Anytime I, or any part of me is going to be under the car, jack stands are used. But, it's not impossible to change a tire without being under the car.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #517  
For a quick 'back story' on my comments, I have 3 steel pins in my left arm from a car falling off a jack stand and jack while I was under the car. I was on gravel (mistake) and changing the clutch in a 1970 Camaro when I noticed that both the jack and jack stand looked like they were moving. A few seconds later it dawned on me, as I was staring at them, that the car was going to fall on me. I rolled as fast as I could out from under the car but ended up getting my left arm, just below the elbow, smashed under the rocker panel. Since I was by myself, it took me almost a full hour to dig the gravel out from around my smashed arm with my other hand to finally free myself. It seemed like it took forever to drive myself to the hospital too. As I'm sure you can imagine, that incident isn't something easily forgotten.

That is why I always, and I mean always use jack stands if I'm under a car now. Actually, I have 3 lifts between my barns, so I rarely crawl or roll on a creeper under a vehicle anyway. If I do, you can bet your life that I have at least 2 jack stands under the vehicle and it won't be on gravel. I won't trust a HF floor jack at it's max rating, but it wouldn't bother me at all to use 2 HF 3 ton jack stands under the front of an average vehicle. For that matter, it wouldn't bother me at all to even use a HF floor jack to jack up the vehicle. I just wouldn't trust my life on that jack not failing in any way. Now, with my back story, I think you can understand why I'm so adamant about that. I got away with being stupid once. I don't ever plan on testing my luck that way again in this lifetime. Make more sense?

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #518  
Sadly a co worker was working on his car on a paved drive, and it was a hot day. Now one would think the stands would sink slowly or equally but that wasn't the case. it sank and tilted forward and killed him.Sad as he was at least using a jack stand.If I can I will slide a tire under the care on the flat side just as an added safety ...

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #519  
I wonder what quality this is made out of????????

Attachments

• hf master card.gif
    hf master card.gif
    6.6 KB · Views: 367
   / Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #520  
Sadly a co worker was working on his car on a paved drive, and it was a hot day. Now one would think the stands would sink slowly or equally but that wasn't the case. it sank and tilted forward and killed him.Sad as he was at least using a jack stand.If I can I will slide a tire under the care on the flat side just as an added safety ...

I always put a square of plywood under mine even in the winter. Don't like the holes in the driveway.