Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #521  
Has anyone used the coupon on the catalogs for the ten dollars card? is it good on the next order? And good on the INTERNET?
a couple of things i found might be good tractor buying.
- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices
All are new items. the clutch?? hmm i didn't mind paying the extra 25 dollars for the one I have it has more adjusting screws
im sorry i see the manual and it has more than the four adjusters.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #522  
For a quick 'back story' on my comments, I have 3 steel pins in my left arm from a car falling off a jack stand and jack while I was under the car. I was on gravel (mistake) and changing the clutch in a 1970 Camaro when I noticed that both the jack and jack stand looked like they were moving. A few seconds later it dawned on me, as I was staring at them, that the car was going to fall on me. I rolled as fast as I could out from under the car but ended up getting my left arm, just below the elbow, smashed under the rocker panel. Since I was by myself, it took me almost a full hour to dig the gravel out from around my smashed arm with my other hand to finally free myself. It seemed like it took forever to drive myself to the hospital too. As I'm sure you can imagine, that incident isn't something easily forgotten.

That is why I always, and I mean always use jack stands if I'm under a car now. Actually, I have 3 lifts between my barns, so I rarely crawl or roll on a creeper under a vehicle anyway. If I do, you can bet your life that I have at least 2 jack stands under the vehicle and it won't be on gravel. I won't trust a HF floor jack at it's max rating, but it wouldn't bother me at all to use 2 HF 3 ton jack stands under the front of an average vehicle. For that matter, it wouldn't bother me at all to even use a HF floor jack to jack up the vehicle. I just wouldn't trust my life on that jack not failing in any way. Now, with my back story, I think you can understand why I'm so adamant about that. I got away with being stupid once. I don't ever plan on testing my luck that way again in this lifetime. Make more sense?

I am a bit confused here, you got your arm smashed into the gravel under the rocker panel. Did you have aired up tires on the vehicle front and back on that side ?

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #523  
I've had very good luck with their 4-1/2 cutting wheels, cheap and cut well.

I've got a very large tap and die set (large sizes, both metric and standard) I paid under $50 and it had worked perfect for the 10 or so times I've needed them. Last weekend used to clean up threads on one of my F250's wheel studs.

Joel

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #524  
Gemini, if you were familiar with the 70 (most call them 70 1/2), you'd know that there are two bolts at the top of the bell housing next to the firewall that are nearly impossible to reach from either under the car or from the top. If you removed the front wheels you could reach through the wheel well and openings in the inner fender and get to the bolts easier. There are several tricks to working on those old partial frame vehicles. My '69 Z28 Camaro was the not quite the same since it came with a 302ci engine rather than a 350. How many 302ci GM engines have you seen?

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #525  
I am a bit confused here, you got your arm smashed into the gravel under the rocker panel. Did you have aired up tires on the vehicle front and back on that side ?

I'm sure at least the front tire was off. That is a frightening story, and painful.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck
I bought this chop saw for $80 a couple of weeks ago, but just used it for the first time this weekend. I was cutting 2" angle iron for a hitch adapter and it really worked well. I was using the supplied cutoff wheel, though I've heard brand name wheels are much better for the couple of extra bucks that they cost.

Also used this apron and gloves with my buzz box welder and was happy with them, though the gloves are a little warm (insulated). I think I paid $7.50 for both.

Oh, yea and cleaned it up with the trusty 4 1/2" angle grinder.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #527  
Gemini, if you were familiar with the 70 (most call them 70 1/2), you'd know that there are two bolts at the top of the bell housing next to the firewall that are nearly impossible to reach from either under the car or from the top. If you removed the front wheels you could reach through the wheel well and openings in the inner fender and get to the bolts easier. There are several tricks to working on those old partial frame vehicles. My '69 Z28 Camaro was the not quite the same since it came with a 302ci engine rather than a 350. How many 302ci GM engines have you seen?

One, complete origional, blue with the white stripes and still running.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #528  
Wasn't sure where to place this but its HF related and 'susks'
I made a list from the catalogs of various items to order, and sat down and entered them to order from the web site. ALL 13 items so far show a different price than the catalogs do.All higher of course.Is it just cheaper to mail order as opposed to ordering on line now?
Its been years wince i ordered.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #529  
Wasn't sure where to place this but its HF related and 'susks'
I made a list from the catalogs of various items to order, and sat down and entered them to order from the web site. ALL 13 items so far show a different price than the catalogs do.All higher of course.Is it just cheaper to mail order as opposed to ordering on line now?
Its been years wince i ordered.

I've always had good luck calling. Have the catalog in hand. They'll ask you the catalog number and then give you all the prices as they are in the catalog.

Same goes for the stores. If you take the catalog with you, they'll give you the catalog price. I've even taken catalogs that are out of date, and the store still honored the price in the outdated catalog.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #530  
Same goes for the stores. If you take the catalog with you, they'll give you the catalog price. I've even taken catalogs that are out of date, and the store still honored the price in the outdated catalog.

something I found out in the past... the last digits of the part number on a printed catalog (like xxxxx-0vga ) the -0vga was a pricing code. you used to be able to enter the code manually on the website and enter 0-9 incrementally to find the lowest current price on the system. I believe they have since resolved that loophole though, but thought I'd mention the pricing code anyway.