Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #5,361  
Before they had lots of stores everywhere and such a large web presence, they did send out a respectable catalog, resembled a Gurney's seed catalog. Now they mail out a booklet similar to the Costco thing, this month's has 14 pages. To get an idea of what they carry you have to search their website; I wonder how much they lose in sales by people not being able to thumb through the catalog and discovering things that they didn't realize that they absolutely have to have.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #5,362  
While there are no HF's in Canada and essentially most of the products are 'offshore' sourced this forum serves me as a guide as to what is considered decent.
Our Canadian Tire* stores as well as Princess Auto generally carry pretty much the same products and quality.
Near me is an outlet called Summit that is very tool oriented with national brands as well as most offshore stuff.

*CTC discounts most products on a rotational basis so it's simply a waiting game to fill the tool box at decent prices.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #5,363  
Bought an $11, 4 1/2 inch hand-held grinder the other day. Used it today for the job I needed to do. Worked as good as my pricey version of the same tool that quit working.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #5,365  
Bought an $11, 4 1/2 inch hand-held grinder the other day. Used it today for the job I needed to do. Worked as good as my pricey version of the same tool that quit working.

I like my 7-Amp angle grinder from HS, the one with the paddle switch at least as well as the refurb Hitachi 5-Amp grinder I bought from Big Sky Tools for 23$, and it only cost 25$.

BTW, I really do have to recommend Big Sky Tool for their cordless tools- their refurbs really are as good as new.
301 Moved Permanently

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #5,366  
Keep on hoping, they claim to be opening a store every 3days. Would be about 150 more this year......

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #5,367  
Two things.

First, the 50 piece box 'O rags for $9

Pack of 50 15" x 13" All Purpose Shop Towels

is a great deal. Sometimes it's on sale for $8.99 and sometimes more but I don't pay more than $9.99. The rags are thick and durable and I use for things that aren't really dirty or greasy and use them one time. Sometimes I carry one in my back pocket to dry my hands or wipe off a tool. When they get dirty enough I use them for something nasty and them they they tossed or burned. Great rags at a great price.

Second is the growing chorus across the county that something must be done about the trade imbalance with China. History suggests tariffs or trade restrictions will occur and candidates are already saying they will do just that. Not sure how to play this just yet but things may look different for the big importers of Chinese tools.

It may already be starting in that while my local discount mart has lots of Chinese tools, they now also have new and big racks of US General and other US or better quality tools are. I think US General are US made and I'm 99% sure some of the well-made toolboxes at Harbor Freight are US General. So, prices could rise on Chinese tools but we could get a whole better selection of tools. Just a thought.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #5,368  
Second is the growing chorus across the county that something must be done about the trade imbalance with China. History suggests tariffs or trade restrictions will occur and candidates are already saying they will do just that. Not sure how to play this just yet but things may look different for the big importers of Chinese tools.

It may already be starting in that while my local discount mart has lots of Chinese tools, they now also have new and big racks of US General and other US or better quality tools are. I think US General are US made and I'm 99% sure some of the well-made toolboxes at Harbor Freight are US General. So, prices could rise on Chinese tools but we could get a whole better selection of tools. Just a thought.

Interesting thoughts sixdogs :scratchchin:

Even the Tekton Brand (which I market now) has new USA sourced pliers and bungees

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #5,369  
[snip]

Agree that the U.S. General tool chests are very well made. But I can't find anything online suggesting they're made in the U.S. HF's website talks about them a bit, but only says they "tested" at HF's facility in Calabasas, CA. :confused3:

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #5,370  

Huh?

US General is just a HF house brand... a name just for marketing. NONE of the US General products are Made in the USA that I am aware of, and definitely not the tool boxes. HF carries VERY few USA items, and I don't believe any of their brands are... just stuff you would recognize from other stores.