Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #5,931  
We had this freak "derecho" storm and was without power for 9 days (that's how long my Briggs L head 5K ran). It was hot! Started out with fans (we have natural gas so we had hot water for showers etc.) but when it was 90 in house at night you just couldn't sleep! House has sub panel for generator. So I could run lights, receptacles, fridge, freezer, TV etc. but couldn't start central air. I got two 5K BTU window units and ran those in bedooms so you could go cool off.<snip>
I just bought an 8K window unit from Staples for $110, exactly for that purpose, should have got 3. An 8k mini-split would be better but they go for a lot more $$.

But for those of you worried about running well pumps, think like dragoneggs wrote - Swimming pool. I've used my pool for "flushing" water when the city water was turned off. I also store about 20 gallons of "drinking water" in 4 glass carboys originally bought for brewing beer.

Never mind the 25% off, I need one more flashlight, I only have about 15.........;)
I used to have so many of their little black flashlights my adult children thought I bought them by the case. Now I'm trying to stock up on their blue, oval LED lights and 25' tape measures.

and did you all see the "Lowest Price Ever" on their 56" 11 drawer cabinet at $698, usually on sale for $800 (it's in a coupon)? If I hadn't just bought the 26" for $298 I'd have one of those in my truck. But I can't justify with either myself or SWMBO that massive increase in tool storage.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #5,932  
I haven't seen this one talked about for some time in this thread, so I thought I would give it a bump. The 60 piece tap and die set has paid for itself many times over for me. SAE / Metric Tap and Die Set - 6 Piece, Alloy Steel
I had to use it yesterday again. I had a messed up metric carriage bolt, which also damaged the threads on a special knob nut. This was from a Thule kayak carrier, and I know finding replacement metric carriage bolts and knobs would be impossible to find locally. Then I remembered my HF set and had both the bolt and nut threads cleaned up in minutes. I rarely cut new threads with this set, but I have repaired countless things with it and I'm thankful every time!

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #5,933  
I haven't seen this one talked about for some time in this thread, so I thought I would give it a bump. The 60 piece tap and die set has paid for itself many times over for me. SAE / Metric Tap and Die Set - 6 Piece, Alloy Steel I had to use it yesterday again. I had a messed up metric carriage bolt, which also damaged the threads on a special knob nut. This was from a Thule kayak carrier, and I know finding replacement metric carriage bolts and knobs would be impossible to find locally. Then I remembered my HF set and had both the bolt and nut threads cleaned up in minutes. I rarely cut new threads with this set, but I have repaired countless things with it and I'm thankful every time!
Yep. I've got one of each. Wouldn't want to rely on it if I were a machinist but as a homeowner they're fine.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #5,934  
Yeah not everything in their store is junk! But there is junk in their stores. SO WATCH OUT

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #5,935  
The only thing that I don't like about that tap and die set is every time I open it, pretty much everything has fallen out of its place. Even with the plastic sheet and foam pad over it, all the small stuff moves around. Grrr!!! :laughing:

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #5,936  
I have their flyer I use it to start my grill.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #5,937  
Recovery straps I would not buy again at HF

Would any of you use their chains to chain your tractor? I'm looking for two chains but I don't know there cheaper then Menard or any where else but I'm more concerned about quilty.

Did you figure out how to chain your tractor down?
From elsewhere on TBN:
It has been along time since I used one of these so I wonder if someone can post a pic. of how to set one up, the one I have is a 1/4 chain and binder I use the Rachet kind.

OK so I run the hooks out and attach between the links and tighten up huh?

How do you forget how to use chain and binders?
If you are planning on hauling your 555 you need something bigger than 1/4" chain and a good heavy trailer. Especially if its a 4x4 with loader and implements it will weigh well over 5K.
Do you think you can remember?

Yeah not everything in their store is junk! But there is junk in their stores. SO WATCH OUT

I have their flyer I use it to start my grill.

Or do you just have to troll this thread and dump on Harbor Freight?

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #5,939  
The only thing that I don't like about that tap and die set is every time I open it, pretty much everything has fallen out of its place. Even with the plastic sheet and foam pad over it, all the small stuff moves around. Grrr!!! :laughing:
Dang, I know what you mean... I have a socket set (not HF) that goes bananas everytime I unsnap the box!!! Yes... :smiley_aafz:

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #5,940  

And the case doesn't latch well. I confess, I've dropped them in the basement and stuff flies and rolls everywhere ... then I just go buy another kit when it's on sale.