Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,021  
Agree, The nicads from Ryobi 10 years ago were HF-level junk. In infrequent use the Nicads were always dead, slow to charge, then didn't have much run time. BTDT. The present Ryobi Li-Ion batteries and lemon-yellow chargers are a whole new world of quality. And these new batteries fit all the older 18V tools, making them more powerful as well as lighter. Not Makita quality re torque etc but its fair to say they perform as you would hope they would. Good shelf life charged, good torque or time until discharged, etc. Recommended - at least for non-pro applications.

Pro tip: Homelite 18v tools are the same thing as Ryobi. I've bought two thrift-store hedge trimmers @ $5 and seen other stuff on Ebay cheap because nobody knows what Homelite is. (was?)

Photo: Clearing a downed Eucalyptus with the Ryobi 18V 10 inch chainsaw last week.

View attachment 474385

I agree completely. I almost threw away my Ryobi tools after changing Nicad or NiMh batteries a few times. I decided to give their Li_Ion batteries a try and those have been very good. The tools still aren't nearly up to Makita/Dewalt/Milwaukee quality or power but they are way better than with the older battery types.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,023  
Yes, but I know I have cranked a very healthy 2/3 yard of crushed 3/4in and had no trouble cranking. I surprised myself. I didn't want to overload it but it worked for me. I was though slanted a little to the downhill when unloading but none the less, impressive.

Just another praise post for that unloader, especially at $30.
Well it took a week but it works GREAT.

How I did it -
Since I have a dually with a full 8' bed with rough bed liner AND rails for my removables ( a 5th wheel hitch, a gooseneck hitch and cobbled together mount for my HF 1/2 Ton Capacity Pickup Truck Crane with Cable Winch) there was no way to "just drop it in" and expect it to work.

My thought process was to jury rig a dump container to make unloading and cleanup easier.

So -
I cut a 4x8x3/4 sheet of plywood in half length wise and put either piece on the inside to cover the wheel wells.

I then laid down a big HF tarp, about 15x12, length wise from a few few feet past the down tailgate, flat along the bed, then up and over the cab and width wise across the bed and up over the plywood about 3' on either side.
I next laid down three 2x4x8's, one against each wheel well and one down the center
I topped that with a 4x8x3/4 sheet of plywood

(I wanted to put something slippery like a 4'x8' sheet of thick slippery plastic on top of the plywood but didn't have one.)

That was my "base dump container".

I then followed the simple instructions and laid out the HF "Loadhandler" on top, went to the stone yard and got a small load (1,760 lbs) of #57 - busted up concrete. (I asked for a ton but that was close enough.)

After loading I just wrapped the excess tarp over the top of the load paid ($14 for 1,760 lbs) and drove off.

For unloading we folded up the excess tarp hanging off the tailgate, hooked up the loadhandler and my son cranked the load off rather easily in about 5 minutes or less.

IT WORKED GREAT!!

We pulled out the plywood and the small amount of stone that had evaded capture easily slid out with the tarp.

If I can find a suitable surface with a real slippy surface it might even handle 1.5 tons.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,024  
All of us- eventually- it just takes some time to adapt the non-compliant older implements.

T

I don't have any of that, been out of tractor operating and ownership for quite a few years. I bought everything new, now broke and saving money again buying the cheap stuff :D

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,026  
I like my qh.
Me too! Bought mine when HF first started carrying them. I can't find any difference from the one at Tractor Supply @ double the price.

The obvious advantage is you can back up to your implement and engage it without getting off the tractor. For many implements, lifting will engage the top linkage along with the lower pins so you don't have to get off the tractor at all.

For all applications you can nudge the implement backward to align it better, or hook just the bottom pins and drag it forward from its parking spot in the weeds. This is more useful than might be obvious - consider a disc or box blade that has imbedded itself in the ground since the last time you used it. Shoving or tugging it with the force of the tractor to align it is a lot easier than backing up multiple times to get aligned or prying it into alignment with a crowbar.

Aside from the obvious, here are a couple of applications that were made simple by using a QHitch:

30 second install temporary ballast.
(and note the QH provides a place to mount a toolbox to carry hitch pins, the small chain shown here, etc)
390836d1410972768-po-boy-ballast-box-kimg0243rqh-ballast-jpg

And another application. I converted this spike harrow from drag to liftable by pulling it from a side to side toolbar that the QH lifts, plus put a pulley arrangement on top of the QH to lift the harrow high for a tight U-turn.
307656d1363028011-harbor-freight-tools-dont-suck-p1710751rspikeharrowlifted-jpg

Link: Photo - detail of pulley mount. Adapted from an abandoned exercise machine.

A front loader is the most versatile attachment for a small tractor. A QH is excellent also for extending the capability of the tractor. As others noted, it takes a little work to get your implements into conformance with the 'standard' (hah) dimensions the QH requires, but its worth it.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,028  
Ryobi batteries: Watch for holiday sales, when the two pack of Li-Ion batteries are half price. I have a slew of Ryobi 18V tools and have never had a problem, except for a small radio that died. Now I am glad it did, since that caused me to buy the new, larger radio. Much better sound than the little one speaker models.

Back to HF.

I have had the quick hitch for several years. The only problem I have had is the lower pin holes wearing out. The metal there is very thin, and heavy use with a 6' box blade in rocky soil egg shaped the holes. I just welded 1/4" thick plates on each side, problem solved.
jp

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,029  
Ryobi batteries: Watch for holiday sales, when the two pack of Li-Ion batteries are half price. I have a slew of Ryobi 18V tools and have never had a problem, except for a small radio that died. Now I am glad it did, since that caused me to buy the new, larger radio. Much better sound than the little one speaker models.

Back to HF.

I have had the quick hitch for several years. The only problem I have had is the lower pin holes wearing out. The metal there is very thin, and heavy use with a 6' box blade in rocky soil egg shaped the holes. I just welded 1/4" thick plates on each side, problem solved.
jp

I am sold on the quick hitch. I will probably look at strengthening if needed down the road. I also looked at building my own, I can't hardly buy the metal for the thing for the price that HF sells it for.

Same with the Titan forks I have my eyes on. For what I can buy the steel I would build them for it is another 50$ just to buy the things. Smart purchase, I can use that welding time to make another Discada :)

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,030  
I have three or four of them: much much cheaper than at HD and have held up very well. Usually use them to drill light gage steel or plastic anyway.
Those are one thing that work in HF