Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #601  
I think it is reasonably clear that the Chinese can build almost any quality you want (eg space ships if necessary) but because they are primarily used as a source of goods to undercut the price of US, Japanese or European made merchandise, the US retailers either specifiy or accept junk quality just to keep the cost down. If low cost has a higher market value than good quality then who is to blame when those poor tools show up at HF?

Yessir! You're right. It's a misconception that the Chinese can't produce something of quality. It's the retailers who can peddle junk if it's cheap enough who help perpetuate the idea that all "Made in China" stuff is of poor quality.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #602  
...I think we are seeing the same transition with Chinese made stuff today. The quality has improved enormously over the past decade, but the reputation has not come up correspondingly. Some of the Chinese-made items I have seen are as good as anyone's, some still lag a little, but not nearly so much as a lot of us claim.

10 years ago I automatically rejected anything made in China, today I am a lot more open-minded. And, if there is any kind of a warranty or a return policy, I have no hesitation at all.

I agree that China's ability to make better quality stuff is improving. Practice makes perfect, you know; and no country is getting as much manufacturing practice as China nowadays. I think the biggest flaw right now in Chinese manufacture is not the lack of quality so much as the lack of consistency. That is evidenced here on this thread as well as anywhere else. One guy may get a perfectly fine folding box cutter that will last three generations, and the next guy may buy the same thing and it breaks the first time he uses it.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck
I agree that China's ability to make better quality stuff is improving. Practice makes perfect, you know; and no country is getting as much manufacturing practice as China nowadays. I think the biggest flaw right now in Chinese manufacture is not the lack of quality so much as the lack of consistency. That is evidenced here on this thread as well as anywhere else. One guy may get a perfectly fine folding box cutter that will last three generations, and the next guy may buy the same thing and it breaks the first time he uses it.

Good points made.

I've found that HF stuff fails for different reasons. Like the box cutter was designed wrong and will never be any good. However for a decent tool like the 4 1/2 inch grinder, if you get sand stuck in the casting and it wipes out the gears right away, it is a variability / quality problem.

Telling why the product failed helps anyone reading the review make a better decision.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #604  
Telling why the product failed helps anyone reading the review make a better decision.

This is a good point as well as the points by Iplayfarmer. Most defects and failures I've had are just aggravating but the exploding chop saw wheels and the coil spring compressor catastrophic failure both could be extremely dangerous if not fatal. If not for the complete face shield and leather apron I would have been injured when the cheap chop saw wheels came apart when I was using them (yes, I tried two before I pitched the rest) and pure luck is all that kept me from a serious if not fatal injury when the coil spring compressor came apart as I was bringing a coil spring out from under the front fender well. The all-thread they are made of is made from cheap quality steel and should never be used for making a coil spring compressor. When I looked at the break in the pieces of all-thread it looked like they were made from pot metal and not high quality strong steel as you'd expect when used in this application.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #605  
The all-thread they are made of is made from cheap quality steel and should never be used for making a coil spring compressor. When I looked at the break in the pieces of all-thread it looked like they were made from pot metal and not high quality strong steel as you'd expect when used in this application.

A spring compressor breaking ranks up there in the sphincter contraction scale. Experienced it happening a year ago when replacing a couple struts. The potential energy stored by those things is crazy. A couple threaded rods and a couple hooks is not something to bet your life with.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #607  
Then there is the clever discount pricing policy at HF (Inside Track Club, on-line)

ITC Member Price $9.95
Regular Price: $9.97
You Save: $0.0199999999999996

Better stock up before the price goes up!!!

Pat

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #608  
Then there is the clever discount pricing policy at HF (Inside Track Club, on-line)

ITC Member Price $9.95
Regular Price: $9.97
You Save: $0.0199999999999996

Better stock up before the price goes up!!!

Pat

I've been wondering how that inside track club works.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #609  
I just used the 'death sticks' strut spring compressors the other day. Worked like a champ to change out the struts on my wife's Honda. I even used an impact on them to compress the springs. For $12 and probably never use them again it was worth it. I doubt I could even find a 'quality' pair anywhere... Sears looks like they sell the exact same set for more money.

While this is a HF thread I have to say that if anyone is looking for a general wrench/socket tool kit to chuck in the back of the truck or whatever the Crescent sets they sell at Sam's are pretty good. I bought one to use on the dirt bikes and then be able to have it in the truck while out riding. It is at least on par with my 20 year old Craftsman set. I will have to look the next time I am there to see where it is made.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #610  
I removed a hose nozzle from a hose today so I could put multiple hoses together to use as a siphon. It was labeled clearly, "GOODYEAR" and had the sandal in their copywrited trademark. The ultra fine print said made in China.

We are awash in Chinese goods for which there IS NO American alternative.

Pat