Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #611  
Don't anybody have a heart attack or anything, but I changed the oil in my daughter's SUV last night in my big barn (the one where I mostly just store equipment, not work on it) and used all HF tools, except for the BendPak lift. I actually liked the pliers type of oil filter wrench with the red handles and a Pittsburgh 1/2" ratchet set with 6 pt. sockets. I actually not only used them but, for this use, thought they had a good feel to them! :eek: Here's the socket set I liked http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93574 The little plastic holders for the sockets are breaking off, so I need to get a better holder for the sockets, but they seemed to work fine and the little ratchet has a good feel to it.

Since walking from one barn to the other to get tools to work on things gets old fast, I'm thinking about getting more of the cheapo HF hand tools for this sort of light duty jobs. I've seen a lot of links to HF coupons, so I hope this link isn't against the rules. What I found is a website that has a thread just for current coupons and special coupons at HF. You don't have to sign up at the site to get the coupons. Here's the link Harbor Freight Coupon Thread - SlickDeals.net Forums It's called the "Harbor Freight Coupon Thread". Maybe somebody can print out a coupon whenever they need one and can save some money.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #612  
   / Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #613  
Since I only go to the states occasionally, I always use the slickdeals site for HF coupons and so far has saved me quite a bit of money (course I had to spend a bunch to save it but I am using a womans shopping logic which is if the item is 50% off buy two and you will save 100%:rolleyes:

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #614  
Since I only go to the states occasionally, I always use the slickdeals site for HF coupons and so far has saved me quite a bit of money (course I had to spend a bunch to save it but I am using a womans shopping logic which is if the item is 50% off buy two and you will save 100%:rolleyes:

LOL. I just wish I could teach my wife to shop the way I fish. You go. You have a lot of fun. You don't come home with anything.

I've had mixed results with the coupons. I think the trick is to make sure you have the most recent one.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck
Today was the first day that I've really put my HF chop saw to work ( Item 1624). Whoever said that the HF 14" metal cut off wheels sucked was right! At first I couldn't understand what was wrong, as it just seemed to quit cutting, though the motor never bogged down. I swapped out the blade for a Norton brand (also made in China) and it was off to the races. Plus, I believe I read here that the HF blades have the nasty habit of exploding without warning. :eek:

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #616  
I've been wondering how that inside track club works.

You pay the $10, you get extra discount coupons. I did it once, and to be honest I got my money back, but never renewed. With the inside track club, when I bought it, I did a fairly good sized order. Got the order, and it came with the first inside track flyer. It turned out that something I ordered was like 80% off, so I called them up and they gave it to me at the lower price, thus paying for the club right there.

I used to buy out of the catalogs they'd send. It used to be the prices never expired, so I'd go through and pick out the stuff I wanted, then search through a stack of 10-12 catalogs, finding the best price on the item I wanted. This saved a bunch of money back in the day (free shipping and no service charge - long gone now). Inside track prices were rarely better, unless it was a closeout, which you didn't want to buy anyway -- there's a reason HF closes out items!

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #617  
I've printed those 20% coupons out and used them with no problem at several HF stores. Good deal.

really? then i better go grab those coupons!
clear.gif

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #618  
Both of the closest HF stores around here accept printed out internet discount prices. They will match the internet HF price. Can be way cheaper at times.

Pat

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #619  
I can't remember if I posted this in this thread already or not, but about 2 years ago I purchased the O/A welding kit with the red plastic holder and two bottles. Took me a while to figure out why it wouldn't behave properly, but the conclusion is that it had a crack in the valve body that let the oxygen and acetylene mix in the lines. Very dangerous. The oxygen would actually feed back and cause the Acetylene pressure gauge to spike. Unfortunately I didn't get the extended warranty and I had it too long before I figured out the problem.

I did notice the last time I was in the store that they have changed the design. The valves are now between the lines and the handle rather than at the top of the handle just before the tip connection as they are on my set.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #620  
Got a barrel pump so far works good and the 3/4" drive sockets and ratchet good also.
Buttt I have a bubble wheel balancer from HF[ I've used American made that work great] that I have a problem with: After I centering the bubble I put the wheel on the balancer, the bubble goes off to the side, if I mark the tire and lift the wheel off, rotate it and set it on the balancer again the bubble goes to the same spot that is different than the mark on the tire that has been rotated. Has anyone used the bubble balancer with good results? Can you tell me how? Thanks Richard