Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,891  
The HF Freight hitch is listed at $209.99. Using a 20% 0ff coupon would make it $168.99 + Tax.
On Adventurerv.net you can buy a Reese Pro Series INCLUDING a 1000lb. BALL for $189. Shipping is not free, but there is NO TAX, and the 1000# BALL is INCLUDED!
I cannot imagine why ANYONE would want to take a (safety item) chance with a Harbor Freight hitch when the Reese Pro Series price is nearly equal.
Reese sells quality stuff!
Harbor Freight tools quality are widely variable!
Why is this thread titled "Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck"?
Who wants to experiment at 75 MPH?

75 with a trailer rig that "needs" a load distributing hitch ?
IMO that isn't an "experiment", it is a death wish.

Also IMO, you are MUCH better off setting up the truck and trailer to NOT NEED the (so called) WDH.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,892  
I got some of the free batteries once. Put them in my camera and got the "low battery" warning from the get go. Not enough power to operate the camera, so not much good for flashlight either. Never bothered with them again.
Even Duracell batteries will leak when discharged, so I try to remember to remove all batteries from things that get tossed in a drawer for use "someday".
They say on the pack they are to be used in something with a low draw.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,893  
I got the 44" base wheeled tool box and the 27" base and chest set last weekend. The drawers of all three work smoothly empty. Their chest come with gas shocks to hold the lids open. My are bright red. The 44" box came on a pallet with the wheels mounted but I did need to tighten the 16 bolts holding them on while it was on the tailgate.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,894  

Also IMO, you are MUCH better off setting up the truck and trailer to NOT NEED the (so called) WDH.

The posting by aeblank IS about a weight distributing hitch.
It is specifically about using a Harbor Freight weight distributing hitch.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,895  

There are probably hundreds of thousands of weight distribution hitches on the highways, and properly set up they are a great safety asset.
I use a 14.000 lb. capable "Equal-i-zer" hitch with my 12,000 lb. equipment trailer, and find it to be an excellent piece of safety equipment.
Sure, I could tow with a diesel dually, and have an 8 wheel trailer with air brakes, but that is simply cost prohibitive.
A properly rated weight distribution hitch is satisfactory equipment, for many uses.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,896  
The posting by aeblank IS about a weight distributing hitch.
It is specifically about using a Harbor Freight weight distributing hitch.
Yes.
I ordered a Reese on Amazon just this morning. With the ball for $203.....

Might even make a death wish and go 75 for a moment or two.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,897  
I got some of the free batteries once. Put them in my camera and got the "low battery" warning from the get go. ... not much good for flashlight either.
Agree, that was my experience too. (The pale yellow conventional batteries, not the alkalines). They were useless for the several applications I tried.

Caution - The alkalines can age and leak. I use them in the TV remote, but I check them occasionally since in that low-current application they can age before losing charge.

Fry's used to have sales even cheaper than HF's prices for alkalines but I haven't seen that recently so HF's are the least expensive that I know of.

Last edited:
   / Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,898  
Yes.
I ordered a Reese on Amazon just this morning. With the ball for $203.....

Might even make a death wish and go 75 for a moment or two.

I think you made a wise choice!
You should be just fine at 74,.... but NEVER 75!

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,899  
I think you made a wise choice!
You should be just fine at 74,.... but NEVER 75!
My rig at 74.5 is safer than my old Oldsmobile at 45...

My tongue weight dry is only 440lb. The 2500 should handle it OK.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,900  
I got here late. Island Tractor, I tried to copy and paste your response so it would be easier for others to follow but I failed at that attempt.

So here are my thoughts to TXdon; I sure would like to add my healthy and hearty applause to TXdon also!! What a grand looking addition you did to your property!! That is stunningly superb workmanship. I could only dream about being even slightly close to that good. Man, you are an skilled person! Very well built.
Greg