Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #7,091  
Has anyone used their electric 1/2" impact wrench? Any good? Don't need one often enough to justify $100, but $39.95 fits the budget.

I have been using one for maintaining our 2 cars, one, truck, and one tractor for about 15 years, from back when it was just 2 cars and a DR Brush mower.

It doesn't have a ton of torque, but I always use a torque wrench for final tightening anyway, and a breaker bar to well, break the nuts free, but it will get things reasonably tight and loosen stuff that I can't, short of using my 36" breaker bar.

The ball bearing came out of the 1/2" drive about 5-6 years out of box, and since my B-I-L borrowed it, the cord no longer has the thickened collar that butted up to the handle, but it's still spinning lug nuts pretty well, and despite it's weight, it worked great for lag screwing my shelf supports to my barn wall.

YMMV.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #7,092  
In general I hate those class action suits. I'm sure many are legit, but it seems just to be a money maker for lawyers to fight one big case so they can get rich rather than to fight specific claims. I will probably pass just in principle. HF has never done me wrong, in fact they have given me price breaks (using 20% coupon) on items explicitly excluded.

Indeed I think it said $10 million of the $20 million settlement for the lawyers.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #7,094  
Highway robbery... makes me sick!

Somehow a whole bunch of things I have bought over the years have ended up in those, and I too, have decided no longer to participate in them, not from any higher moral principle, but from the sense of disappointment, futility, and finally, yes from all my anger at the lawyers who bring them and reap all the benefits.

All the way from the Milli Vanilli lip-synch ghost artist CD scandal, [which CD I must have gotten from a BMG "Pick 15 CD's for $0.99" trial offer], to the windshield of our 2004 Honda Element [Class Action brought for "softer than standard glass", leading to easier chipping and breakage], I have NEVER seen any reasonable benefit from saying "Yes, go ahead and add me to the suit."

Thus, now I just follow them, without signing on, and look to see what I would have missed out on when the suit is settled, and so far, I have never again been disappointed.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #7,095  
There was an action against Campbell Hausfeld a while back over exaggerated power ratings on some of their compressors, (like anyone with half a brain would really believe that you can get 6.5 hp from a single phase motor the size of a coffee can) and one of the options was to take a merchandise settlement. One item was a jitterbug sander, so I got that as I already had the hoses and nozzles and such that was the other offers.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #7,097  
26 in., 16 Drawer Glossy Red Roller Cabinet Combo

24-26 March sale price is $30 less than I paid a month ago. A nice set for under $300.
That's a good price! I bought it for my son for xmas back in October for $289.00 w/coupon. Lowest I saw watching for a year. There are two model numbers, 61609 and 67831. I haven't discovered a difference... maybe the supplier.

Edit: Actually the price might have been $299.99. As I recall I got there a day late but I had called the previous day to be sure of stock and asked if they would honor the coupon. The manager said yes but when they scanned it in I think the price was $329.99, I explained I had called the day before so the cashier got approval and had to manually enter the price. I think she erred in my favor by $10.00. Didn't notice until I got home and looked harder at the receipt. The $299 might indeed be best price.

Last edited:
   / Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #7,098  
   / Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #7,099  
I saw that in their ad yesterday and couldn't believe it. It's an excellent price and one of the best on the market. Just buy it and unwrap in the store because cheap packaging can leave dents and damage.

Not a bad idea to open in the store. I got lucky with this complete set and the 44" roller box. They were flawless out of the box.

For $300 this set could be of value for organizing many non tool items.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #7,100  
There are two model numbers, 61609 and 67831. I haven't discovered a difference... maybe the supplier.

I've noticed that with a lot of their products, two different SKU numbers for what appears to be the same product. Anyone know why that is?