Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #7,921  
Ran into a differential drain plug requiring a T70 to remove it and realized our current set stopped at T50. Our son Austin who just started Diesel College locally took the current flyer and made up a list and made his first solo HF trip. Actually the set containing the T70 size are black and rated for impact wrench use. He also picked up a 1/2" torque wrench while he was there for $12 I think. It will be interesting to see if he will continue to use some HF stuff a few years down the road. I was talking to a contractor that had some HF power tools and he said they worked out well and if they died or walked off it did not cost too much to replace them. Some of their higher end impact tools are rated well on Youtube, etc.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #7,922  
I was talking to a contractor that had some HF power tools and he said they worked out well and if they died or walked off it did not cost too much to replace them. Some of their higher end impact tools are rated well on Youtube, etc.

A contractor told me something similar about inexpensive tools in general. His high priced drill had walked off not long before.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #7,923  
I picked up a HF torque wrench as it could take larger size sockets than my 3/8th. I compared torques between the 2 and they were within acceptable limits for things like lug nuts etc that accuracy is to within a lb. Its served me well for over 8 years.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #7,925  
Don't know if this has been posted before, but I just realized that HF's "Magnetic Trailer Alignment Kit" is a big help in hooking up to rear implements with a QH.
Magnetic Trailer Alignment Kit

Use them in their retracted position. Place one on the flat of the top hook, and one on the implement's top pin. That lets you center-up on the implement's top bracket as you square up to it.

I also have top 'n tilt, so fine adjustments can usually be made without getting in and out of the cab. Some pics:

Quick Hitch Alignment c.jpgQuick Hitch Alignment b.jpgQuick Hitch Alignment a.jpg

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #7,926  
Was towing a sailboat back from Canada and the straps we had on it were too wimpy and ithe wrong places. So the boat started walking back on the trailer.

Used the 4,000 lb come along and a tow strap to move the 2,650 lb boat forward and to the right so it was secure in the Trailer. Bought two ratchet straps for $10 each, they are much too thin for my taste but did the job.

2 Ton Cable Winch Puller

33 lb. Capacity 2 in. x 27 ft. Heavy Duty Ratcheting Tie Down 1 Pc

Last edited:
   / Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #7,927  
One thing I try to do religiously after ratchet strapping down a load, is drive a bit and then pull over, get out and check my straps and cinch them down tight. Often unusual, awkward loads shift and settle some after a couple start/stops, bumps, etc. Almost always I can tighten up a little. Just good practice IMO.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #7,928  
One thing I try to do religiously after ratchet strapping down a load, is drive a bit and then pull over, get out and check my straps and cinch them down tight. Often unusual, awkward loads shift and settle some after a couple start/stops, bumps, etc. Almost always I can tighten up a little. Just good practice IMO.

+1 on that. I figure a 1 - 2 minute stop to check and tighten straps could potentially save hours of aggravation . . . or worse.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #7,929  
Don't know if this has been posted before, but I just realized that HF's "Magnetic Trailer Alignment Kit" is a big help in hooking up to rear implements with a QH.
Magnetic Trailer Alignment Kit

Use them in their retracted position. Place one on the flat of the top hook, and one on the implement's top pin. That lets you center-up on the implement's top bracket as you square up to it.

I also have top 'n tilt, so fine adjustments can usually be made without getting in and out of the cab. Some pics:

View attachment 523937View attachment 523938View attachment 523939

This item belongs in the "HF Tools That Suck". The theory is good but the product "SUCKS". They do not stand up to field use or stowing behind the seat of the PU. The collapsible shaft is very flimsy, the shaft is not long enough for PU and trailer, and the yellow balls fall off. I went through 3 of them in quick order. They are the perfect solution to lining up to a trailer w/o help, always dead on if you keep the two lined up. One day I saw a heavy plastic wand w/a magnetic base about 5' long at NAPA. bought a set of them. The last forever and the whole shaft is safety yellow. Perfect solution. I also use them when backing my equipment trailer with one on each back corner of the trailer so I know where the corner is all the time.

Ron

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #7,930  

AMEN twice over. That is also a good reason to not use them on rolling equipment. They always loosen up and stretch out with over the road vibrations and settlement.

Ron