Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #891  
MMM?, 89 pages, 880 replies! I'm sorry but IMO there's no way there can be that many tools that "don't suck" at HF. Must be a great deal of redundant posts here :)

I walk out of their empty handed more than not.

JB.

Yes, but you walk in there. You must have some hope that there's still something of value there that you still want.

I love Harbor Freight. I buy less and less of their stuff as I "grow up" and my budget increases. I never could have afforded to get starting in tinkering and building if it weren't for Harbor Freight, Homier Tools, and Cummins Tools.

I can see how everything in there has it's place.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #892  
Yes, but you walk in there. You must have some hope that there's still something of value there that you still want.

I love Harbor Freight. I buy less and less of their stuff as I "grow up" and my budget increases. I never could have afforded to get starting in tinkering and building if it weren't for Harbor Freight, Homier Tools, and Cummins Tools.

I can see how everything in there has it's place.

Well I guess you hit the nail on the head in my case.
We just got our first store here a little over a year ago, I've been a contractor for over 25 years and have just about every tool and piece of shop equipment I need.

After hearing about HF all those years I was one of the first customers when this store opened it's doors, I was so excited, I scoured every aisle. The only problem is after building a quality compliment of tools and equipment over the years I can't see replacing a quality tool when the time comes with a HF grade replacement.

If I was 18 again with nothing but a 5 gallon pail and a beat pick-up held together with baling wire I'm sure I'd have a different attitude.

JB.

Last edited:
   / Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #893  
I'll be in the neighborhood of a HF this weekend, packing a 20% off cupon.
Things on my immediate shopping list are grease gun and large bore metric tap and die set.

Opinions please on their related offerings.

I do have shop air. butt think a manual greaser would be a better choice for my occasional (10 hour)convenience. I have a small size HF tap and die set that has always done the job with my very occasional needs.

Toolin' up for paradise,
Dennis

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #894  
I do have shop air. butt think a manual greaser would be a better choice for my occasional (10 hour)convenience.

I bought a Lincoln cordless grease gun at an auction the other day. I would never go back to a manual pump grease gun. Being able to hold the hose on the zert and just squeeze the trigger is awesome. Air might not be as convenient since you will be dragging a hose around but I would at least give it a try. Not sure how HF's cordless grease gun holds up.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #895  
Does the HF discount coupon in the back of magazines give you that additional discount off the price of a sale item or is it just for a regular retail priced items?

My coupon says "may not be used with any other coupon,one per customer,one per purchase" Also says lifetime guarantee on ALL hand tools. Guess that does not include the Tremor, sorry, Earthquake impact wrenches.

we be toolin',
Dennis

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #896  
...If I was 18 again with nothing but a 5 gallon pail and a beat pick-up held together with baling wire I'm sure I'd have a different attitude.

JB.

That's it right there. I feel very fortunate to have arrived at a place where I can be a little more chosey about my tools. There was a time, though, when the cheap stuff was my only choice.

I still can't help but browse the catalogs whenever I get them. My list for the next trip includes a solar panel for the RV and some microfiber cloths.

There's a Harbor Freight coming to a city much closer to me. Maybe the novelty will wear off if it's not an hour one way to the nearest store.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #897  
I've been a contractor for over 25 years and have just about every tool and piece of shop equipment I need. ... after building a quality compliment of tools and equipment over the years I can't see replacing a quality tool when the time comes with a HF grade replacement.
I think most of us agree. For tools you earn a living with, buying the best is money well spent.

But HF's emphasis is different. A lot of their stuff is cost-effective if it survives a single use. The float charger is a steal at $3.99 and the $179.99 I paid for the powered drain snake cost the same as the $180 I pay for a weekend Roto-rooter callout, when my tenant unexpectedly declares an emergency.

Of course both of these tools survived to be used again. And if they hadn't survived that first use they are returnable. So what if they seem crude compared to pro grade tools. I can have that drain line running again before Roto-rooter could even get there - to the delight of the anxious tenant.

I have taken back stuff that was junk. The $2.99 flatbars are a joke, they straighten out if you put your full weight on them. Fine, take the refund and buy a Craftsman ($10) or if that's not good enough, then Stiletto ($109-$129). The trial-and-error aspect is a nuisance but HF's prices let me buy tools I would never buy at pro-grade prices. I'll bet a pro drain snake is several thousand $.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck
My coupon says "may not be used with any other coupon,one per customer,one per purchase" Also says lifetime guarantee on ALL hand tools. Guess that does not include the Tremor, sorry, Earthquake impact wrenches.

we be toolin',
Dennis

You can use the 20% off coupons on sale items that do not require a coupon to get the sale price. So, no stacking of coupons on a single item. Sometimes you need to ring up a couple consecutive sales to use all the coupons, but at my local HF they are fine with it..

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #900  
With the exception of the wrenches which seem decent, everything else on your list is junk IMO.

I use my tools a lot, have a dozer tractor and mini ex. Plus a mill{for limber}. I have had an issue with their grinder{the 10.00 on sale ones} but I buy 2 at a time. The one that died just got returned, no questions. I've had one for over 10yrs no problem, to me that was a well spent $10.00 :thumbsup: The other stuff on my list as been U S E D and sometimes abused{knock on wood} no issues. I'm not doubting your bad luck, just saying I have had good luck :) .

Price is not the only factor in determining value. I've got to get a job done or get out of the woods or through some other critical situation I can't rely on that stuff.

I understand you point of view, but there are times price is, JUST THAT, price. I've allways been a pain about spending, sometimes I'll look at something for hrs before I pay. Somethings are junk while others are just marked up pieces of the same thing :confused2: I'm not saying I buy everything from HF, but I can say I have bought way more good then bad.

The reason for my post was just to point out that with almost 900 replies there is continuous repeats, I'm surprised this thread lives on but would be proud to start a thread that lasted this long :)

I understood what you were writting, most of the post are just repeats or post about one tool{welder comes to mind}. I just wanted to say that HF does have atleast 1000 good tools out of the thousands they sell. I'm not sure what %age I'd put on there products because it is allways changing. I quess I'd have to say atleast 3/4 are worth the $$$ spent :confused: I also notice when one product is bad at a place then the whole place gets condemned along with all products, it's just human nature :(.

I haven't been in a few months maybe I'll take a ride and give them another chance.

JB.

Just make sure you check and possibly research what you're planing on buying. :thumbsup: