Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #9,111  
I got the 50 foot hose on mine and it is a very flexible red rubber. I have had it about a year and no problems.
I run the 1/2" Diablo HF air hose. It's soft black rubber.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #9,112  
My red rubber hose lasted about 10 years. Reel still works great hose was replaced with some light weight hose I got when I bought a used Kobalt compressor. Probably got 200 feet of hose with the compressor and a couple,of,manual reels.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #9,113  
I got the 50 foot hose on mine and it is a very flexible red rubber. I have had it about a year and no problems.

Cool- I bought mine out of the clearance bin in mebbe 2009, planning all along to use it in our barn- which we finally built in 2012.

So the issue with my hose may have just been the cheaper rubber hose from then, and product improvement in the 8 or so intervening years, or it could have been been from aging for however long it sat there in the store before I bought it and then had it sit around in my [somewhat damp] basement for 3+ years.

I bought my hose- I think it's either a nitrile or polyurethane "rubber", on clearance from TSC, and it has been flexible down to the single digit days we sometimes see here in the winter.

The one I bought is [was] fluorescent orange, which I thought might save on tripping over it, and it getting driven over inadvertently- and so far so good.

Unfortunately, other [family] users in my barn seem inclined to reel it back onto the reel complete with dirt and grease on it, vs wiping it by holding a cloth around it while reeling it in [which I do], so it's getting to be less and less bright and more black-grayish.

Maybe black would have been better...:confused3:

T

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #9,114  
Has anyone seen the small 40x48” trailers in stores yet? I haven’t seen one for a year due to the tire recall but I hoped they would be back in stock by now.

I knew I'd seen a small trailer like that somewhere, but could not find it on the HF site (or anywhere else). I hope they get it back in stock. I'd love to pick one up.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #9,115  
Has anyone seen the small 40x48” trailers in stores yet? I haven’t seen one for a year due to the tire recall but I hoped they would be back in stock by now.

Northern Tool has one:
Ultra-Tow 40in. x 48in. Aluminum Utility Trailer Kit
I was hoping to find a less expensive one. This one is $420, but currently on sale for $370 w/free shipping if you are a Northern Tool Advantage Club member.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #9,116  
Northern Tool has one:
Ultra-Tow 40in. x 48in. Aluminum Utility Trailer Kit
I was hoping to find a less expensive one. This one is $420, but currently on sale for $370 w/free shipping if you are a Northern Tool Advantage Club member.
I looked at that, thinking I will eventually own a Chevy Bolt rated zero tow capacity and assuming aluminum is lighter. But the only advantage over the HF 4x8 that I built for a jeep trailer is the corrosion resistance of aluminum. This aluminum trailer with 4.80-12 tires shows 135 lbs shipping weight, my HF version with 4.80-8 tires was 125 lbs shipping weight.

Assembly notes: one sheet of 3/8 plywood makes walls 22" high. (cut the front and back 26", the front can bolt to the face of the chassis and the tailgate can slip down into a notch to secure its bottom edge).

I haven't found any limitation running 8" tires vs 12". The lower deck height makes it easier to reach over the sides for loading, or when lifting in a lawnmower. A trailer this tiny will rarely be used at full weight capacity for a long trip which is the only case where taller tires might have a theoretical advantage of less heat buildup at the wheel bearing or tires. Ground clearance is irrelevant, with the tires so close together they both go over the same bump. I don't think I've ever had the axle go aground in offroad use.

I bought a second HF 4x8 used, to make a watering trailer. 2600 lbs loaded surprisingly hasn't hurt anything, not even the weathered 1988 tires. But the tiny tires plowed in soft ground so I replaced them with 12" automotive tires (Chevette 4-bolt rims) for easier rolling.

The HF trailers will be back someday, I would wait for them.

316887d1368001705-harbor-freight-tools-dont-suck-pic00516claimdriveway99-jpg

438128d1439920994-looking-first-yanmar-kimg0714rwatering-onslope2-jpg

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #9,117  
I haven't seen this HF item mentioned for a while, the 4-side diamond hone. It's a product that is as good as you hoped.

image_25043.jpg

I just used it this morning to sharpen the rotary cutters of my electric razor. Excellent results, the cutters now shear instead of tug.

It's most recent use was to take the final burr off an old, blunt axe that I sharpened on the belt sander. Versatile!

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #9,118  
Has anyone seen the small 40x48 trailers in stores yet? I haven稚 seen one for a year due to the tire recall but I hoped they would be back in stock by now.

RECALL!
Ist I've heard of a recall.
I have a hf 40x48 trailer.
I better call HF tomorrow

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #9,120  
RECALL!
Ist I've heard of a recall.
I have a hf 40x48 trailer.
I better call HF tomorrow
If you're not running it hard don't worry about it. That little trailer can't swerve you off the road if a tire blows out, it's not heavy enough. However I limit loading to a third of rated capacity and carry a spare.

It seems they got a batch of bad tires which revealed that the 'tested to conform to US-DOT standards' was bogus on these and who knows how many prior shipments.

Anybody know what happens if you acknowledge the recall? They take your tires and promise replacements 'some day'?