Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #911  
greasemonkey--very impressive reply--thanks for the effort.

Anyone own one of the small portable air compressores that plug into your cigarette lighter for emergencies? They cost maybe $9 and are about the size of a large can of soup.
I keep one in my hot rod for an emergency but never used it and wonder about the quality. Anyone have one?

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #912  
I haven't used this one in particular but I frequently print out a jpg or pdf coupon I download and take it into HF. Never had a problem. As usual it is 20% off the highest priced item. I've even copied one coupon four or five times and used them on different trips to HF. Again, no issue so long as the coupon is still within the active dates.

I can second what IslandTractor said. I've used printed coupons regularly and never had a problem so long as the coupon was within the posted dates. I've had the same luck whether I go to the closest HF store (an hour away) or if I go the the HF store in Salt Lake City when I'm visiting the inlaws.

Thanks guys. It's off to HF this weekend with my dot matrix print version of this coupon. Guess I'll have to check here periodically for the 20% off coupons since they don't send them to me anymore. :(

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #913  
Their 3-drawer Service Cart has a current $99 coupon. Its a pretty nice box - having the tools at the worksite beats walking back & forth to the big box.

49T&C

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #914  
They also have their 5 drawer service cart on sale for $179--throw in a 20% off coupon and it's only $143. After looking at both carts in the store, IMO it would be $44 extra well spent vs. the $99 cart.

5 Drawer $143: - Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices
4 Drawer $99: - Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

Their 3-drawer Service Cart has a current $99 coupon. Its a pretty nice box - having the tools at the worksite beats walking back & forth to the big box.

49T&C

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #915  

Anyone own one of the small portable air compressores that plug into your cigarette lighter for emergencies? They cost maybe $9 and are about the size of a large can of soup.
I keep one in my hot rod for an emergency but never used it and wonder about the quality. Anyone have one?

Yes i have one slow going but better than using my mouth. youll fill the tire but will take awile to do...

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #916  

Dogies,
These things are deriguer in the motorcycle touring community. Except folks usually shuck the guts of the compressors out of the shell to minimize weight and size.

There are differing qualities among small portable pumps, but most, even the cheapest will work quite well at least a few times. As long as you're not in a hurry. A great backup system for a very small price. If one quits, toss it and get another. Pack two if you've the storage and have your backup backed up. Might not be the best choice for filling a tractor tire however. ;'>

If you want a deluxe model, w/ aluminum case and quality small pump check out Cycle Pump Air Compressor :: Aerostich/RiderWearHouse Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear

There are several quality offerings at this site.

One caution is that if you have one with exposed compressor body, the *DO* get hot!

Regards,
Dennis

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #917  
I have purchased many itams at HF and found most of them to be adequate at the very least. I try to keep it to items that have few or no moving parts however.
I decided to take a chance and purchased a 15 amp cut off saw (mitre/abrasive). The one I got quit working on the second cut. I had to drive 40 miles round trip to return it and then spend 200.00$ for one to finish the job, so it was not a positive experience for me even though they returned my money, no questions asked.
I learned at that time to pay cash for any higher priced items as they will offer only store credit as a refund for items paid for with a credit card.
I received a coupon as an email just last week, so I decided to purchase a multi tool (oscilating tool used for scraping cutting and sanding). The store I went took that coupon and a couple of others including one for a free flashlight. The tool seemed to be constructed quite well and although I've only used it once for a couple of hours, it seems to be a keeper. This particular tool won't get much use at my place so I think it be with me for a while and I'm happy with the purchase.
I also have one of the cheap pneaumatic staple guns that works fine after 2 years and 1000 or more staples

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #918  
Anyone own one of the small portable air compressors that plug into your cigarette lighter
That and jumper cables are part of my essential toolkit for backwoods adventures.

I only remember one time I needed it but that trip was a doozy - my tent trailer ate a tire that I patched with several plugs and re-inflated (several times). Then I mounted a rotten and near-useless spare that I inflated then destroyed before I got back out to the pavement, and I finally limped home on the backup spare that had already thrown chunks of tread and was running partly right on the cords.

That cheap little compressor was over its head inflating 8 inch trailer tires to 60 psi but the alternative would have been to abandon the trailer and lose a day of work on Monday going back up there with another mounted tire.

The little compressor and jumper cables stay under the driver's seat of every 4x4 I've owned, for many years.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #919  
here's another 20% coupon. just print it out. I use them all the time never bought anything without one of these printed coupons. they take them everytime. they are from woodworking magazines so they're not customer specific. .jpg file just print it and use it.
this one is good to 06-19-10

Attachments

• HarborFreight Coupon 061910.JPG
    HarborFreight Coupon 061910.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 190
   / Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #920  
The diameter and length of the hose can make a huge difference. I can not run my impact on a 1/4" line.

Just looked at the HF web site: Earthquake 1/2" 4.7 CFM, 1/4" fitting
Earthquake 1" 8 CFM, 1/2" fitting
Doesn't say at what pressure.

Ken

Typically this sort of thing is rated at 90PSI working pressure, sort of a standard for this sort of tool. They may withstand higher pressures in use but cubic feet of consumption is typically given for 90PSI.

Pat