Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #951  
Add the precision screwdriver set to the good list. I've owned the set for a few years, and I use it regularly. Any bit I have used has been a good fit. The bit selection is pretty good too. Any size or shape I've needed has been in it. It's great for fixing eyeglasses and working on small electronics.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #952  
Two things that do not suck...or maybe just suck less...

First is the "security bit set" that is an odd assortment of maybe 50 or 75 screwdriver bits that fit virtually every odd security screw head made. You don't need it every day but when you meet a metric socket head 8 point screw head, you're covered. Often on sale for a few dollars.

Ditto on the small boxes of assorted copper washers or "O" rings, star washers or other similar items. Not stuff you need eery day but when you do the assortment saves time, money and aggravation. Often on sale for $5 or $6.

Just my two cents.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #953  
well i should amend this with some more that really blow and a few that dont

The Strap Wrenches 0/5
absolute garbage, used one to hold a crankshaft, snapped one before we even put any real weight on it tried with the smaller one snapped too
weve done this before with strap wrenches without a problem so its a HF issue
- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices
5$ on sale

chain wrench 5/5
This was the replacement for the garbage straps, had to run and get it at the last minute, works really well i am much happier, and you can slap a flex handle on it
5$

Stud puller 2/5
Pulled a couple studs with it, works ok for that
tried to pull a sheared bolt with it and smushed it good, turns out its not made of steel and is some left over crap, sheared the bolt, then it got stuck, tried to exchange, apparently you need a receipt, not worth while

also broke a 3 lb 5$ hammer tapping in wedges while chainsawing, new hickory handle and better than new

gonna get a security bit set, bolt out set and some other"goodies"

Last edited:
   / Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #955  
Another tool that works for me is their so-called blacksmith hammer. It's a two or three lb short handled hammer with a square head and faces with very little taper to them. It is perfect for pounding stuff flat against an anvil. I have had mine for 15 years and use it a lot. You don't see them all the time. Often you see a similar hammer with a square head and shorter handle but the face is way too beveled. You see the right hammer every few months or so. Also, you have to dig through a few to get one with a tight handle.
Maybe I'll post a photo of mine if anyone wants. It really is the perfect pounding hammer.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #956  
The Strap Wrenches 0/5
absolute garbage, used one to hold a crankshaft, snapped one before we even put any real weight on it tried with the smaller one snapped too
weve done this before with strap wrenches without a problem so its a HF issue
5$ on sale

Interesting. I bought their strap wrenches, and they work great for opening jar lids. I haven't tried them on anything more strenuous. Now, the ones I bought look similar, but are definitely different, and I do know that HF will sometimes use cheaper plastics to lower the cost.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #957  
I bought the strap wrenches hoping to use them for oil filters. Too much slop, slip, fumbling. Too big and clumsy to get into the available space.

Not a winner.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #958  
The will work OK on those cartridge water filters.

Used to have a motorhome with a water filter in a very bad place. HF strap wrench made changing the filter a lot easier.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #960  
Asimov was a remarkable man, accomplished in the hard sciences, and the most prolific author of all time. Many are familiar with his science fiction, but he has authored books on every subject in the library classification system. He was a professor of Biochemistry and has authored somewhere around 500 books. Even he lost count. The next closest is on the order of 100.

One of the true giants of our age.