Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #1  

Travelover

Elite Member
Tractor
B7100
I was ispired by another thread with this link to Weldingweb:

HF tools that don't suck - WeldingWeb - Professional Welding Forum

The Weldingweb site is mostly about metal working tools, so I thought it might be interesting to share which tools / products we have found to be a good value at HF. I don't think anyone seriously thinks they sell good tools, but some are adequate for the need or usage we have in mind.

Some of my experiences:

1000# capacity folding trailer, about $250. Works great for my light duty needs and folds in half to stand on end in my garage, out of the weather.

4 1/2 inch angle grinder, $15. So far, so good for sharpening mower blades, dressing up metal projects

Welding magnets. Inexpensive (with the coupons I get nonstop) and fascinating for the kids to play with.

Diamond blade wet saw, $50. Works great and allowed me to do my whole bath ceramic tile project without renting any tools. Water tray is hard to remove without slopping water.

880# overhead hoist. Paid $80. Mounted to reinforced ceiling joists in barn. Extremely useful for horsing around 3 point attachments, lawn tractor, etc. A real back saver.

Box knives - not worth the $1 on sale - handle breaks on first use.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2  
1. 10" carbide table say blades for $10, and they stay sharp as long as blades costing 3X as much.
2. Impact sockets I'v had a set for over 15 years and haven't broken any yet.
3. 4 1/2" grinding wheels. Last just as long as the $8 ones .

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #3  
I only buy stuff that is on sale... 70% off usually seems to be about what their stuff is worth ;)

Latex and Nitrile gloves
4 1/2" grinding wheels
4 1/2" cutoff wheels
Deep impact sockets
The heavy grinder stand.. although I had to put a rubber mat under it to keep it in one place.
Just got the metal saw horses... they seem pretty sturdy and strong
Little roll around chairs with the tray underneath (square not round ones)... at $9 I could get one for me and my 'helper' great for working on the dirtbikes
Same for the $2 ear muffs
The 'blue flame' auto darkening welding helmet is great for $50
The brass looking spring loaded center punch $2 and it does great on metal and wood
The compact bender does a pretty good job once you figure out where to make bends
Welding magnets - dang these things are handy!
Bigger rectangle magnet with an eyelet for string/rope has come in handy a few times
The wide crown air stapler
The brad nailer/narrow crown stapler... needs more like 100psi and misses once in a while but at $20 it is far cheaper than anything at Lowes/Home Depot
The big Sliver and Deming drill bits.... cheapest way to make big holes in steel (I trashed the step bits after a while) They do tend to grab once in a while though.

Can you tell I have a store not too far from my work? :)

Charles

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #4  
9 inch angle grinder - lasted one use then the motor turned to goo - trashed

4x6 bandsaw - burned up motor on fourth cut, new motor, saw works good otherwise

three-shelf roll around cart for $35 is GREAT for shop use

600 lb-ft torque wrench works good

air tools have all worked good

step drill bits work surprisingly well

20 ton hydraulic shop press works good

3 ton hydraulic floor jack - leaks, sucks

3 ton chain hoist works great

cheap hand tools good for filling the boat toolbox, don't have to worry about dropping them in the lake

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #5  
I haven't used my brad nailer/stapler enough to really know how good it is, but so far it's worked fine when I did use it.

My little pneumatic angle die grinder has sure been handy and worked well so far. Oddly enough, they did not have the accessories I wanted with it, but Northern Tool had them.

The 3/8" air ratchet valve tends to stick in the "on" position; possibly from lack of use.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6  
Chain saw sharpener - something like $40 bucks when I bought it.

Screwdrivers - Can never have enough of them cause they seem to walk off into the woods when I am not looking.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck
I forgot to mention HF sells something they call rattlesnake eggs - really just a packet of extremely strong magnets. Two are egg shaped and two are spherical, but they are amazingly powerful. Played with them myself for a long time before my wife's 4th graders got 'em.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #8  
My two most expensive Harbor Freight acquisitions have been a 30 ton log splitter and a Plasma Cutter..
Both have worked great except the OEM return oil filter on the log splitter clogged pretty early, I suppose from manufacturing crud left in the system, found a Purolator car oil filter that fit and all has been well since.
I own a lot of their hand tools and although the appearance can be poor on some of them they work great especially considering the money spent....I've had to return almost none of the stuff I've bought there.

I'm constantly amazed how inexpensive some of the stuff is, I don't see how the material costs are covered let alone labor to make it, even at 25 cents a day :eek: and then ship it all the way from China to my local store in SC:eek:

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #9  
Does anyone who depends on tools everyday all day long shop at Harbor Freight?

jmf

Last edited:
   / Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #10  
I just bought (2) Grade 70, 5/16 chains for $25.00 a piece. Tractor Supply wanted $55.00 for the same item.

A friend just bought a 3ph Quick Hitch on sale for $69.00! It works great. Compared to the $215.00 one at TSC.