Tractor
    '98 MASSEY FERGUSON 231

Default Please Diagnose: Power Steering Problem

Something is going on with the steering on my 1998 Massey Ferguson 231 tractor. It has hard spots that wanna stop the wheel from turning mainly when you turn to the right. It will do it to the left also but not near as bad.
    At idle it seems to steer fine but when the RPMs are up it struggles to steer.

Do you have an idea of what's going on? The tractor has 1,315 hours. I can send pics if needed.
    Thank You
    '98 Massey Ferguson 231

Tractor
    Hyster H50

Default Re: Please Diagnose: Power Steering Problem

Can you get the wheels off the ground and see if it behaves the same way? It doesn't appear that you have a loader so it won't be quite as easy.
    If it's still rough, I'd suspect that the steering box has some debris in the ball bearing track, probably from a bearing disintegrating. That doesn't explain the easy steering at idle though...
    Whoever said that you can't fight city hall had obviously never met Marvin Heemeyer.

Veteran Member

I have power steering issues with my Frontier truck and diesel 4x4 dually. Tractor is fine. Wish you a simple solution.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    SSTT (Sideways Snake Tain Tractor) and STB (sideways train box) tractor, dirt harvester

AGCO Parts Books -> guests -> massy ferguson from drop down menu -> 231 -> search = online part listings.

--gotta ask the obvious. are you actually moving? vs standing still and in neutral?
    --are you low on fluid? looks like you need to check a small tank, just above "steering pump" itself. or check steering pump itself for fluid level (a tad hard to tell from diagrams)
    --can you turn steering wheel and takes a little more turning for wheels to actually turn? (as in air in the hydraulics, or hydraulic oil leaking around valves or cylinders)
    --is there any play in steering wheel itself? as in physically turning it back and forth then finally you hit something and tires finally begin turning.
    --looks like you have 2 hydraulic cylinders (1 per front wheel) if i am looking at part diagrams correctly. are they bent?
    --looks like a very generic simple "steering valve" modify "spool valve" that a FEL or rear remotes use in a sense. i see some 0-rings. that might of gotten torn up?
    --looks like there is some bearings between the actual steering wheel itself, and then the steering column that goes down to the steering valve.
    Ryan

Tractor
    '98 MASSEY FERGUSON 231

Sorry for the late response...

The tractor has difficulty steering while moving, not sitting still, but no problem at idle.

It does not have a loader on it.

Didn't think about jacking up front end to check for resistance.

There is a significant amount of play in the steering from left to right when engine is killed.

I noticed with the fill plug out, engine running, and pump filled to full mark it didn't look like much oil was circulating like it used to do.

How could I tell if fluid is bypassing internally in the pump or the right side cylinder?

Left side cylinder was rebuilt last year by a Massey Ferguson dealer. I shipped the cylinder to them. It was leaking bad externally.

What kind of fluid should go in the power steering pump?

Got a new power steering filter today, will install tomorrow.
    Last edited by Travis_R; Yesterday at 09:27 PM. Reason: Adding additional text