Cordless impact wrenches

/ Cordless impact wrenches #1  

RickB

Super Star Member
Tractor
Just a Scag
Looking at Dewalt (because I have other 18V tools & charger), Snap-On, and Matco (because they service the shop I work at). SnapOn CT4850HO advertizes 400ft/lbs to the Dewalt DW059's 300 and Matco MPTL192WVS with 240ft/lb. Is there a misprint in the Snappy website, or are they really that far out in front??? Please share your experience with any of these units. I know the costs, but want to settle the performance question first.

/ Cordless impact wrenches #2  
Did you post this question on NewAgTalk? I think they will have some answers for you there.

/ Cordless impact wrenches
Robert_in_NY said:
Did you post this question on NewAgTalk? I think they will have some answers for you there.

Yes, Robert, I am using the shotgun approach. Here, NewAgTalk, and YT.

/ Cordless impact wrenches #5  
RickB said:
Yes, Robert, I am using the shotgun approach. Here, NewAgTalk, and YT.

That is the best way to do it. There is an amazing selection of people between the three boards.

/ Cordless impact wrenches #6  
I have the Milwaukee 18v impact, hammer drill, circular saw and hatchet saw. The impact with fresh battery charge will break any nut loose that you wish. Its rated at 230 ft-lbs. The math says that a 400 ft-lb energy release will drain the battery twice as fast if its needed.

My only suggestion is to have a few extra batterys on hand: 1 extra at full charge and one on the charger while the tool is in use.

I like to have an extra charger, too. One at the house and one out in the shed.

/ Cordless impact wrenches #7  
RickB said:
Looking at Dewalt (because I have other 18V tools & charger), Snap-On, and Matco (because they service the shop I work at). SnapOn CT4850HO advertizes 400ft/lbs to the Dewalt DW059's 300 and Matco MPTL192WVS with 240ft/lb. Is there a misprint in the Snappy website, or are they really that far out in front??? Please share your experience with any of these units. I know the costs, but want to settle the performance question first.

I have the Dewalt and while it works OK, I have had two learnings. One if the battery is low, it will not put out the torque, but it still hammers. This makes one think that it does not have adequate torque. No big deal, just charge the battery.

The other issue is when I used it to tighten the strut nuts on my chrysler minivan. I tighten them, installed them on the vehicle and noticed a knocking. Everything appeard to be tight, and I did not know what was causing the problem. I put the old shocks back on and still had the problem. I eventually took the vehicle to the dealer and he said the nuts were not tight. The electric inpact wrench does not behave like an air driven one, particularly in a dynamic situation like tightening a spinning shock strut. Now that I know this it's not too bad. But this one cost me a little money and a lot of frustration.

/ Cordless impact wrenches #8  
RickB said:

I think you left one digit out of the Matco Tool part number. I think it should be MPTL1921WVS. Snap-On tools are awfully expensive, but usually very good. Will the distributors on the trucks let you try out their wrenches? And I think most of them rate their wrenches accurately, but they can all make a mistake now and then. Snap-On rated the IM5100 air impact as 400 ft. lbs. and I've never known of anyone who was happy with one of them, and when I was repairing them, that was the only model from Snap-On that I learned to refuse to work on because they simply cannot be made to produce decent power. On the other hand the IM51 and IM510 were good half inch impacts. Personally, I wouldn't waste my money on any impact that only produces 240 ft. lbs. of torque, 300 ft. lbs. would be minimal, and 400 would be good if it actually does it.

Personal opinion only, of course.

/ Cordless impact wrenches #9  
I've never tried a bat operated impact but I've had great luck with the plug in electric type.

/ Cordless impact wrenches #10  
I have used 3 the dewalt was ok, but dewalt batteries just seem to suck. We are always having trouble with them and the dealers don't want to warrantee them.

I used a snap on and it rocked. I could do as many as 4 cars with 4-5 lugs on each wheel before any noticable loss in power.

Now the kicker. I bought a Titan last year because they were stupid cheap with 2 batteries it cost 150. I charged it up not expecting much and found it lasts as long as the snap on but is not as powerfull. However,, it didn't have the power but was more powerful than the dewalt, So basicly good luck.