Removing CaCL

/ Removing CaCL #1  

billfires

Gold Member
Tractor
New Holland 1920
A couple of questions. My rear 18.4-16.1 turf tires on NH 1920 are filled with Calcium chloride. I am noticing rust color around one of the valve stems. I don't know if there are tubes or not. I have a BH mounted so don't think I need the weight (especially w/turfs). What is the procedure to remove the CaCl and then clean rims? Thanks for any info.

Bill C

/ Removing CaCL #2  
Bill,

I can't speak for CaCL in particular but I wanted to drain some of the antifreeze from my rear tires. I bought a valve stem clip-on tire inflator and connected some plastic hose to it. Even without removing the valve in the valve stem, I can still drain the anti-freeze pretty quick. I just put the hose into a gallon jug or whatever. As you are draining the fluid, periodically check the tire pressure to be sure it dosen't go too low.

As far as cleaning the rims out I don't know. Fill the rims with water and drain back out... Maybe this is best left to professionals...

Peter

/ Removing CaCL #3  
Bill-

I don't think draining CaCl filled tires is something you want to do yourself. You really should take the tires off the rims immediately after draining them and clean the rims thoroughly. If a little bit gets left in contact with the rim, it WILL rust out. With filled tires, you keep the level up above the rim, so air doesn't get to the rim. Once you drain them, the air and the CaCl combined will do a number on your rims. I personally would not trust just filling with water and draining to rinse it out (even if you did it several times).