Replacing bucket cylinders

/ Replacing bucket cylinders #1  

jmfox

Platinum Member
I need to replace the bucket curl cylinders on my ASV. Is there anything special that needs to be done to assure the cylinders work together?

jmf

/ Replacing bucket cylinders #3  
Why? Are they both damaged severely? If just leaking, you can re-seal cheaply.

If replacing,the only thing is that they have to be the same size.

jb

/ Replacing bucket cylinders
It was suggested to me that each side must be bleed, and because they were double action each end of each cylinder must be bleed separately.

jmf

/ Replacing bucket cylinders #5  
No, that isn't exactly correct. The air in the cylinders will bleed past the internal seals when they are filled with high pressure oil. Just hook them up with the cylinders empty of oil, then run the bucket full curl and hold for a count of 3, then full dump and hold for a count of 3. Do that 3 times. At this point, I like to shut the machine down for 5 minutes so the air bubbles in the oil sump can go away. After that 5 minutes, check the oil level and top off as needed. You will have all the air out.

jb

/ Replacing bucket cylinders #6  
When installing a new cylinder, do not run right to the ends. Go back and forth a couple inches at a time. There is no fluid in a new cylinder and therefore, no lubrication for the seals.
Just make sure you install 2 identical cylinders and you will be okay. If they have adjustable ends, you may have to adjust them so you don't twist your bucket at full extension or retraction.