Bolt Broken

/ Bolt Broken #1  

woodlandfarms

Tractor
PowerTrac 1850, Kubota RTV x900
OK, I am getting desperate.

A bolt on my mower broke off rather low in the hole. I have been able to work it up to the surface but now it is completely jammed.

I have lubed it, waxed it, hit it with a torch, Tried to use an extractor, and have been using the old school method of hammer and punch and working it around.

I am concerned that all I have left is welding a bolt on and I am not much of a welder and this is quite flush.

Looking for ideas I have not thought of.

The bolt is 5/8" btw..

Carl

/ Bolt Broken #2  
Is it a blind hole or can you get to it from either way? If you can drill it from the other side it might push itself right out. 5/8 is pretty good sized. I have drilled holes in broken bolts then hammered an old torx bit deep into it then used the screw it in and out a little more each time method or the quick hand impact tool, witch keeps bit hammered in and spins it at the same time. Good luck, theres a great feeling when that bolt finaly gives up.

/ Bolt Broken #3  
Take a 6011 rod and weld a tip on the end of you bolt and vice grips will take it right out. this works on bolts that are rusted in also. If the tip breaks off weld a gain till it's out, I'v done this on dozer's a lot.
Brian

/ Bolt Broken #4  
Have you tried grinding a slot in it with a worn out (small) cutoff wheel and using a BIG screwdriver with an adjustable wrench?

/ Bolt Broken #5  
If it's flush with the surface, maybe you could place a nut over the surface of the bolt and weld inside the nut to attach it to the bolt?

/ Bolt Broken #6  
I've had some luck with drilling with a left hand drill. The combination of heat , vibration and torque seem to loosen 'em up.

/ Bolt Broken #7  
woodlandfarms said:
OK, I am getting desperate.

A bolt on my mower broke off rather low in the hole. I have been able to work it up to the surface but now it is completely jammed.

I have lubed it, waxed it, hit it with a torch, Tried to use an extractor, and have been using the old school method of hammer and punch and working it around.

I am concerned that all I have left is welding a bolt on and I am not much of a welder and this is quite flush.

Looking for ideas I have not thought of.

The bolt is 5/8" btw..

Carl

seeing how you were able to work the bolt out some of the way , i wonder if the female part is dinged at the top? screw the bolt back in and then use a thread chaser to clean up the threads and then try to work the bolt out. just an idea

/ Bolt Broken #8  
5/8" bolt is fairly large and if it's too difficult for you to weld you might be able to drill a smaller hole (3/16", 1/4" or 5/16") inside, tap that and run a longer bolt into it. Then if you tighten a jamb nut against the broken bolt, you should be able to remove it if it isn't seized. The fact that you were able to work it around suggests that this option is viable. If the outside diameter of the jamb nut is too large to jamb against the broken bolt, use a spacer or bushing between the broken bolt and new bolt.

/ Bolt Broken #9  
I nsecond the left handed drill bits. I use that method first every time now. Get one a little smaller and by the time it makes a hole it usually just spins the piece right out. I keep a set of different sizes for this purpose alone. The smaller nut welded thru the inside onto the broken piece also works almost every time.
good luck
rick

/ Bolt Broken #10  
The welding trick works, but if/when you splatter slag it can make the whole deal worse.

I really like using left hand drill bits. Then tap some left hand threads and screw in a left hand bolt. That works slick, if you have the room.

jb