Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    PowerTrac 1850

Default Bolt Broken

OK, I am getting desperate.

A bolt on my mower broke off rather low in the hole. I have been able to work it up to the surface but now it is completely jammed.

I have lubed it, waxed it, hit it with a torch, Tried to use an extractor, and have been using the old school method of hammer and punch and working it around.

I am concerned that all I have left is welding a bolt on and I am not much of a welder and this is quite flush.

Looking for ideas I have not thought of.

The bolt is 5/8" btw..

Carl
    Power-Trac 1850, grapple, hoe, 90" mower, 72" box blade

Tractor
    Ford 2910II

Default Re: Bolt Broken

Is it a blind hole or can you get to it from either way? If you can drill it from the other side it might push itself right out. 5/8 is pretty good sized. I have drilled holes in broken bolts then hammered an old torx bit deep into it then used the screw it in and out a little more each time method or the quick hand impact tool, witch keeps bit hammered in and spins it at the same time. Good luck, theres a great feeling when that bolt finaly gives up.

Bronze Member

Take a 6011 rod and weld a tip on the end of you bolt and vice grips will take it right out. this works on bolts that are rusted in also. If the tip breaks off weld a gain till it's out, I'v done this on dozer's a lot.
    Brian

Tractor
    JD 2305 W/CC & R4

Have you tried grinding a slot in it with a worn out (small) cutoff wheel and using a BIG screwdriver with an adjustable wrench?

Tractor
    John Deere 2520, 1989 John Deere 185, 1960 Panzer T70B

If it's flush with the surface, maybe you could place a nut over the surface of the bolt and weld inside the nut to attach it to the bolt?

Veteran Member

I've had some luck with drilling with a left hand drill. The combination of heat , vibration and torque seem to loosen 'em up.

Rest in Peace
    Tractor
    kubota b2400- R4 tires

Quote Originally Posted by woodlandfarms
    OK, I am getting desperate.

A bolt on my mower broke off rather low in the hole. I have been able to work it up to the surface but now it is completely jammed.

I have lubed it, waxed it, hit it with a torch, Tried to use an extractor, and have been using the old school method of hammer and punch and working it around.

I am concerned that all I have left is welding a bolt on and I am not much of a welder and this is quite flush.

Looking for ideas I have not thought of.

The bolt is 5/8" btw..

Carl
    seeing how you were able to work the bolt out some of the way , i wonder if the female part is dinged at the top? screw the bolt back in and then use a thread chaser to clean up the threads and then try to work the bolt out. just an idea
    FRANK

Tractor
    John Deere 3120

5/8" bolt is fairly large and if it's too difficult for you to weld you might be able to drill a smaller hole (3/16", 1/4" or 5/16") inside, tap that and run a longer bolt into it. Then if you tighten a jamb nut against the broken bolt, you should be able to remove it if it isn't seized. The fact that you were able to work it around suggests that this option is viable. If the outside diameter of the jamb nut is too large to jamb against the broken bolt, use a spacer or bushing between the broken bolt and new bolt.
    -----------------------------------------------
    There 's no such thing as idiot-proof; idiots are far too ingenuous.
    JD3120 eHydro, R4's, 300cx FEL, frontier 2060bb, Vrismo S100 Flail mower, AL1240f forks, wheel weights

Tractor
    dk55, jd 450,case 811b,kioti mechron,farmal cub & super c

I nsecond the left handed drill bits. I use that method first every time now. Get one a little smaller and by the time it makes a hole it usually just spins the piece right out. I keep a set of different sizes for this purpose alone. The smaller nut welded thru the inside onto the broken piece also works almost every time.
    good luck
    rick

The welding trick works, but if/when you splatter slag it can make the whole deal worse.

I really like using left hand drill bits. Then tap some left hand threads and screw in a left hand bolt. That works slick, if you have the room.

jb

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast